Squeeling Steering

niallh

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Currently having a problem with my steering. It squeels whilst the steering wheel is being turned but sometimes while the wheels are nearly at full lock and not moving. I have checked the power steering fluid which is a little under the maximum line and im struggling to understand what the problem is. Any advice?

Currently having a problem with my steering. It squeels whilst the steering wheel is being turned but sometimes while the wheels are nearly at full lock and not moving. I have checked the power steering fluid which is a little under the maximum line and im struggling to understand what the problem is. Any advice?
#

You've got the same issue as me, ( i think )

You need to replace your upper engine mounts. Starts creaking when you load the front on the corners......

#

You've got the same issue as me, ( i think )

You need to replace your upper engine mounts. Starts creaking when you load the front on the corners......

Ah right, did you get a price to solve the problem? Also does your car squeal when moving and also when stationary??

Ah right, did you get a price to solve the problem? Also does your car squeal when moving and also when stationary??

Not stationary only while moving. If your putting weight on your corners when stationary - i'd first start at spring replacement.

Eibach pro Kit's are around the £150 mark

There are a few others out there, but for performance and drop, it's the eibachs all the way.

If you are mechanically minded......try maually rocking the engine and looking at the engine mount to the right down and behind the (original) airbox check to see if its still the same noise.

Now CV Joints, and bearings are the last two, any "fast food" garage i.e - kwikfit / formula1 will check your brakes for free - then tell them to check the bearings / cv joints while your there.

What model a3 is it?

From what you describe I would start by looking at your power steering pump belt tension. I would be almost certain from your descrition of "squeeling" that its the belt slipping due to it either being loose or worn out.

A quick test is get someone to move your steering and get it to squeel while you spray some wd40 on the belt. If it stops the noise its your belt tension thats at fault.

the reason it will do it at full lock/almost full lock when stationary is because it puts more load on the system and the pump becomes harder to turn so the belt starts to slip more if its not at the correct tension.