ABS/ESP light continuosly on

Sevv

Pushing the limits..
Reaction score
hello guys,

I know i have bugged everyone with my issues concerning the s3 however i have one last problem to fix the ABS/ESP ligh always on after i had a major service done to it cv joints , timing belt, water pump, vanos chain, belt tensioners etc... and steering pump and pipe that needed replacement. after this a few weeks back realized car running rich to the point its contaminating the oil so off buying a new EGT and the 2 lambda sensors 320 pounds out of pocket. NOW i have this damn light on and the car locks up i think might be the diff or just automatic braking ( im ignorant so not sure) so i inspected the bay to check the fuse box on-top of the battery had a melted fuze so i ordered that and a new fuze box to be safe, and brand new Tarox sport japan discs and pads all round (yet to arrive from awesome) would that fix my issue at all as i know the disc were thin and not sitting flush. ive also scanned the car and came up with this problem but its saying the esp/abs control unit is malfunctioning which is a staggering 1000 POUNDS !! i literally **** my pants . though i can mention that after the light stays on i drive normally and give it abit of speed and is all fine can it be an abs pump ? im also servicing the rear haldex. any suggestions ? :(

2011-11-28183327-1.jpg

Looks like a wiring issue to me... the yaw rate sensor is related to ESP so thats why the ABS/ESP light is on I suspect..

The EGT sensor is showing an open circuit too... (assuming it is plugged in.. its situated under the inlet mani) a lot of the sensors share areas of the loom so worth checking for earths and stuff (under the battery tray is favourite...)

<tuffty/>

Hi Tuffy ,

thanks for the reply yeah i changed the battery tray etc.. the other day and everything see
IMG-20120205-WA0002.jpg
med fine to be honest the wiring was enact i dont know if you could see properly from the picture. and also if i may ask whats a yaw rate sensor ?

alright so ive checked the links MIGHTY USEFULL MANY THANKS TUFFY better then changing the control unit for a 1000pounds , i think i might check the wiring cause my pedal broke and i replaced it myself along with the clutch switch i think for the cruise control. maybe i the wire got some how loose is it possible although i was quite delicate myself. now i need to give audi a call see the part number and cost i hope not too much !!! however according to the links for provided me. is it safe to assume its on the esp abs control unit ?

It will be whatever the fault is with the yaw sensor thats causing the ESP/ABS light to come on... sort that and it will go away... (once reset)

I assume the fault codes have been reset once then they came up again? always worth noting the ones you find, clearing them and see what ones return... have seen a few instances where they were legacy codes that have had the faults fixed but never had the fault codes cleared

<tuffty/>

yes i took it to my friend he has a workshop scanned the car, reset the codes and the same ones came up so ive ordered all the sensors i needed to change and will be doing a coolant and thermo change as i also change the coolant temp sensor and waiting for the EGT to come so i can service the car and haldex and all the sensor one hit, all that left is that sensor. i was looking on eBay and found this VCDS don't know if it would be beneficial to me when i replace the yaw sensor and reset it via the VCDS.

VCDS lite VAG COM Interface VW AUDI SEAT Scanner Tool | eBay

i know the light comes on rapidly flickering like crazy, while driving and i need to slow down so it doesnt have another episode =[ but then it stays on and i drive okay, but i would like to drive it the way it was ment to be if you know what i mean... :p need to finish this as i have loads of performance parts to put on her.

i know the light comes on rapidly flickering like crazy, .

That surely has got to be bad connection to the ABS sensors, considering thats what it does when it loses traction and the Quattro kicks in... "IN principle", it must be the sensors.

yeah as i go with the fault codes its says its intermittent fault, with the yaw rate sensor so im gonna check the wiring undering the steering column tomorow as its 1am in Sydney and ill see if not ill have to buy a new sensor. its a shame ive spent 6 grand AUD on this baby my string of bad luck is continous as in my older A3 unforunately. got tons of performance parts laying at home but no money to fit in =[ due to this issues

yeah as i go with the fault codes its says its intermittent fault, with the yaw rate sensor so im gonna check the wiring undering the steering column tomorow as its 1am in Sydney and ill see if not ill have to buy a new sensor. its a shame ive spent 6 grand AUD on this baby my string of bad luck is continous as in my older A3 unforunately. got tons of performance parts laying at home but no money to fit in =[ due to this issues

What is it S3?

yeah 2002 S3 however build date says 01 AMK engine code

hey tuffy so i gave audi a call in five dock sydney and qouted me 1J0907657A 890$ for and said normally 1050 $$$ which is a ball breaker sigh... ill try to get it from the UK hopefully half price i could sleep easier at night :p also asked if the sensor was only the lateral he said it was combined acceleration and laterral unforunately but atleast i know now the price tag unfortunately. time to save up for this baby and enjoy this car.

On mine ( 2000 APY ) the acceleration ( also called longitudinal ) sensor went, causing ESP/ABS lights on constant, the 2 sensors ( longitudinal and lateral )were seperate and avalible to buy seperate, I'm sure I paid around £160 from Audi ( around $240 aus dollar ) for my acceleration sensor
On mine it hides behind the glovebox, looks like I escaped a big bill

6ae7ad6d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sevv
On mine ( 2000 APY ) the acceleration ( also called longitudinal ) sensor went, causing ESP/ABS lights on constant, the 2 sensors ( longitudinal and lateral )were seperate and avalible to buy seperate, I'm sure I paid around £160 from Audi ( around $240 aus dollar ) for my acceleration sensor
On mine it hides behind the glovebox, looks like I escaped a big bill

6ae7ad6d.jpg

yeah ive called awesome today and they qouted me 417 pounds for the sensor roughly 617AUD $ sadly gotta add it to my list the sensor i was told was the acceleration and lateral sensor combined. Good Bless these damn sensors why couldnt it be just simple :p

i have a receipt and part number for those sensors, lateral and longitudinal are identical parts, just in different locations and different mounts.
hang on....

ok, the above pictured sensor, longitudinal/lateral acceleration sensor:
U1J0 907 651 A £111.30 + VAT

my longitudinal was behind glovebox, and the lateral under the steering column. its common for people to get them the wrong way, but vcds will show you whats what when you unplug them.

I never had my sensor calibrated, the Audi parts man told me I'd doesn't need it ?? The car works fine and no lights have shown since and no codes are stored either,

Do these sensors need checking after fitting ?

i have a receipt and part number for those sensors, lateral and longitudinal are identical parts, just in different locations and different mounts.
hang on....

ok, the above pictured sensor, longitudinal/lateral acceleration sensor:
U1J0 907 651 A £111.30 + VAT

my longitudinal was behind glovebox, and the lateral under the steering column. its common for people to get them the wrong way, but vcds will show you whats what when you unplug them.

hmm this is all confusing me, all i did is i called Audi ..quoted the error G202 told them it was the yaw rate sensor , they told me it was the acceleration and lateral combined and costs 417.73 pounds. but you are telling me that its different ? so how will i know which sensor is it without spending a fortune on the one im getting as im confident it might be it

I'm following this thread. The two sensor mentioned, behind glovebox and under steering column, could they be the cause for my ABS light coming on, not immedeately, but usually within 30-50 minutes of driving? Code said intermittent problem with something I can't remember.
I thought it was the module on the ABS pump? Should I try to replace these sensors first?
Car is 2000 A3 1.8TQ 150 hp.

does your diff lock up at all ? , i would also check the fuse box over the battery i was told that it may cause a short circuit thats why im replacing mine but the damn fuze has MELTED!!!! , and u need to check the code is it G202 then your looking at the yaw rate sensor mate