Front driveshaft removal?

bazil

BOOM BOOM
Reaction score
Hi all, I need to replace an inner cv gaiter, my question is, are there any nasty surprises in this job or do the shafts come out easy?

2nd question is what gearbox oil is recomended ?

The car is a 2000 S3 APY

Any help or info would be great.

thanks guys, the guide is stickies is a real help, ive ordered 4 CV boot kits from audi just over £120 :sign_omg: they had the outer ones in stock but had to order in the inner ones.
i just hope the CV is ok as there is not a lot of grease left in it. i tried local parts stockists but nowhere could get me a RH inner boot, must be an odd one due to the transfer box?

6 speed boxes have larger joints... not many parts places keep anything that fit... last one I tried was more or less the same price as OEM so just used OEM the next time it went...

<tuffty/>

Does the oil need to be drained and refilled for clutch or CV changes?

No it doesn't. You can drain it, but you don't NEED to. If you pull the drive shaft out, it will loose oil but there is no need to drain it all out, just put something under the side that you're pulling the shaft out of to catch any oil that is lost. Just don't forget to top it up again with fresh oil. (75W90 Semi or Fully Synthetic) The same goes when changing the clutch. No need to drain the oil, but you'll loose some when you pull the shafts out.

Cheers
Ben

If you remove the bevel box to remove the gearbox then you will need to drain the oil...

You could leave the bevel box on to take the box off but its an ****! to change the clutch on a quattro A3/S3 drain gearbox oil, remove bevel box, remove gear box....

FWD gearboxes do not need to be drained....

<tuffty/>

Ahhh I do apologise! I didn't know that! I've never done a quattro box so wouldn't know... On 95% of all other front wheel drive boxes in the world then ;)

So finally got up the shed today, I had removed the shaft earlier in the week, I managed to remove and seperate the inner CV and was glad to see no scoring or heavy grooves etc, but I'm kinda stumped how to remove the outer CV,

Is it the same as the inner one where I have to remove the cap and release the bearings in order to remove from the shaft, I had a search but no results on outer cv removal ( searching on the iPhone FTL )

Here is a few pics of how I got on

fb566f34.jpg

52021625.jpg

67e2ee66.jpg

Is this part avalible by itself? Anyone per chance know the part number?

c16bc8e7.jpg

And the outer CV, I'm wanting to take this apart for inspection due to the marking near the bearings, looks like its had a bit of heat on it :(
Any ideas how to free the cv from the shaft?

a5dd27a0.jpg

theres a compression clip on the inside. basically get the shaft in a vice and hold the joint in your hand a give it one decent hit with the hammer. should come straight off. if it doesnt rotate it in the vice and hit it again.

Thanks, just a bit like pulling shafts from a normal FWD box :)

I didn't want to try that earlier just incase I got it wrong, or it was not the correct approach