seat leon cupra r... brembo brakes

jediknight

Reaction score
Website
www.nathanwillits.com
probably been asked before... but will they fit the s3?

was over a friends last night and noticed them on his next door neighbours car... brembo 4pot calipers up front.

anyone done this?? is it cheaper than the GT kit?

ta

I thought it was almost exactly the same as the GT kit. And would assume it would be easy to get the parts. WOuld be interested to know, as I t could a cheaper way of doing it when I come round to it.

well i just checked and the s3 and leon cupra R discs are exactly the same size.

312mm diameter
23-25 mm thick

would suggest to me that the calliper would be a direct replacement... obviously with different carriers?

i'll find out prices

[ QUOTE ]
probably been asked before... but will they fit the s3?

was over a friends last night and noticed them on his next door neighbours car... brembo 4pot calipers up front.

anyone done this?? is it cheaper than the GT kit?

ta

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup .. exactly the same.

At Seat parts prices the parts would come to ~£800, £695 here http://www.badger5.co.uk/

Could get the parts from a scrappy I suppose, might get lucky and find a LCR with the brakes still on it somewhere.

Adam

It known as the GT junior kit IIRC, the GT kit uses slightly larger cross drilled discs.

[ QUOTE ]
hmm so not much cheaper... i'll check trade prices... have a friend who works for audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Group buy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

..£100 is better than a poke in the eye though. I seem to remember reading that the brake hoses were something daft cost wise which made the kit v expensive from Seat.

A

so what parts are actually needed?

calipers
carriers
hoses
pads

i guess the £100 you saving compared to the brembo gt junior kit would go toward new discs making it the same price??

Out of interest, where did you read the S3 and LCR discs are the same size. I was under the impression they were 328x25. Mates certainly look bigger than mine.

Chris.

i checked on a website selling EBC discs.. the size and part number for the s3 and LCR is the same

i know its probably not the most acurate way of checking

was the LCR available without brembo brakes??? maybe thats where the difference is?

[ QUOTE ]
well i just checked and the s3 and leon cupra R discs are exactly the same size.

312mm diameter
23-25 mm thick

would suggest to me that the calliper would be a direct replacement... obviously with different carriers?

i'll find out prices

[/ QUOTE ]
No way mate! S3 brakes are 312, Cupra R disks are 323m.

The brakes ARE a direct replacement, but you'll need to get the right size disks!

Badger 5 are probably the best place to buy them. I bought my Ibiza Brembos from Bill, and the service/price was spot on.

Cupra R discs are indeed 323mmx28mm, and are a direct replacement for the S3 brakes.

They are very similar to the GT kit but they are a different ofset so you cannot use the GT discs with the Cupra R setup for example.

Youll need the complete brake set-up from a Cupra R.

Calipers
Carriers
Pads
Discs
Hoses

If your looking at buying this kit new forgot about it and buy the GT kit as these parts are expensive from SEAT but you can pick them up second hand IF you can find some.

Calipers = £250 each
Discs = £100 each
Carriers = £120 each (yes that price is right!!!)
Pads = £80 set
Hoses = £50 (Braided ones)

So not worth it at all unless bought from salvage etc. Discs are dealer supply only as Brembo have a 4 year exclusive deal with them and no after market places e.g. EBC have started to make their own yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mark

Hi,
There's obviously nothing wrong with the original brakes on the S3 ,
Iv'e just been informed that the front brakes are well and truly ???? on mine and have been for a long time and it still stops.
Merdock

[ QUOTE ]
Cupra R discs are indeed 323mmx28mm, and are a direct replacement for the S3 brakes.

They are very similar to the GT kit but they are a different ofset so you cannot use the GT discs with the Cupra R setup for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you use Cupra R disks on GT calipers then?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope - the two calipers (Cupra R and GT) have different ofsets so the discs are non-interchangeable, would have been great if they where

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope - the two calipers (Cupra R and GT) have different ofsets so the discs are non-interchangeable, would have been great if they where

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I better call Brembo up then, think I've warped my pair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hmm, ebc definately listed the same part for the LCR and the s3?? so could you get LCR's without brembos?

i'll look into trade prices anyway but it seems if i want big brakes im gonna have to pay like everyone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
There's obviously nothing wrong with the original brakes on the S3 ,
Iv'e just been informed that the front brakes are well and truly ???? on mine and have been for a long time and it still stops.
Merdock

[/ QUOTE ]

S3 brakes are bit pants mate, even when working 100% ... try a couple of successive stops from 100+ (couple of roundabouts either side of a stretch of private road) and tell me they're ok ...1st one is fine, 2nd one it's a case of 'where the f*ck are my brakes'

A

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, ebc definately listed the same part for the LCR and the s3?? so could you get LCR's without brembos?

i'll look into trade prices anyway but it seems if i want big brakes im gonna have to pay like everyone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Leon Cupra R's all have Brembo's. Maybe the listing was for a Leon Cupra (not R) or an Ibiza Cupra R???

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are corrrect the EBC catalogue does list Cupra and Cupra R Discs as being 312mm but the catalogue is incorrect ive contacted them over this they have confirmed the they do not do 323mm discs for the Cupra R and said the listing was incorrect.

I believe brembo's where not standard fit on all Cupra R's in Europe. and some had 312mm discs which must have been where EBC got there listing from.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you manage to find Leon Cupra R discs cheaper give me a PM as ill be interested in a set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

Mark

i have the cupra r brembos on my s3. they fit fine, pics are on this forum somwhere

i just found out that the IBIZA cupra r (the tdi one) has 312mm discs.. 5 stud and they use AP racing 4 pot calipers... sounds a bit more promising...like they might be a better replacement for the standard discs????