AGU Build.... Injector Failure

drifter07

Reaction score
Hi Guys I tried to look for Welly's engine rebuild info after his rods went. Cant seem to find it....

So I have a few questions. Im in South Africa, owner of a 02 8L S3 BAM Revo Stage2.
My car blew oil through the turbo & zaust just 2 days before 112K Miles service, whiles doing freeway driving.
I took the car in & mech he asumed it was turbo seals that blew. I asked him to remove turbo by removing the head & @ same time Id do the rods. He refused to do it, since in SA we dont really see rods going on 1.8t's (since the guys crash them be fore the motors pack up)

So of he whent & removed the whole motor against my liking. Removed the turbo, xaust housing cracked, oil oosing out all ova. We had a TFSI K04 that was in his workshop & we discussed hybrid/Big turbo options long before the turbo failed & I opted for hybrid for factory look & feel. We then used the kompressor + turbine of the FSI K04 which we thought would match. Machined the housings sothat the new 'propellers' would fit.

SDC12536a | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

After refitting everything @ startup, cylinder2 had missfire..... Found that cylinder 2 could not pass compression check.
Mech than removed the head & found a hole burned in piston & damaged to block.

06022012131 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thus the need of new block burn in block to deep for repair...

SO best value for price motor we could find is a AGU motor.

Heres a few questions.......

1) AGU block with BAM head vs BAM engine. Compression is higher of AGU. Will different mapping be needed for Standard K04, AGU block, Bam head with revo 2 currently on my S?

2) 1 of my injectors failed. If I decide to buy a set of 440cc bosch green giants & fit them on my S with Revo2 can the fueling be calibrated say in the Revo2 soft or limmiwinks.

3) I do not have a custom ODB2 audi soft dealer for hybrid turbo setup in my area, closest is a 9hour drive away! What do you guys think of Unitronics Piggyback ecu setup, wich is the only option in my area except Revo dealer.

Last edited:
Go to advanced search and type Welly into the user name search or go to his profile and click on all started threads... easy..

<tuffty/>

Heres a few questions.......

1) AGU block with BAM head vs BAM engine. Compression is higher of AGU. Will different mapping be needed for Standard K04, AGU block, Bam head with revo 2 currently on my S?

Nope... higher compression will arguably require you to play with timing and/or boost settings as the AGU is large port and can take more timing... higher comp ratio of the AGU pistons with the smallport head would most likely cause a lot of timing pull on your current Revo settings so this will need to be logged in VCDS ideally on a dyno to make sure you are not getting too much pull... ideally you want to use more timing than boost as high boost generates heat whereas timing advance not so much...

2) 1 of my injectors failed. If I decide to buy a set of 440cc bosch green giants & fit them on my S with Revo2 can the fueling be calibrated say in the Revo2 soft or limmiwinks.
No...

3) I do not have a custom ODB2 audi soft dealer for hybrid turbo setup in my area, closest is a 9hour drive away! What do you guys think of Unitronics Piggyback ecu setup, wich is the only option in my area except Revo dealer.

Never used them tbh so can't comment... maybe some info on vwvortex or some of the US forums... they love that stuff there... in the UK there are quite a few tuners that can map ME7 for this so no real need for piggy back ECU's

<tuffty/>

Nope... higher compression will arguably require you to play with timing and/or boost settings as the AGU is large port and can take more timing... higher comp ratio of the AGU pistons with the smallport head would most likely cause a lot of timing pull on your current Revo settings so this will need to be logged in VCDS ideally on a dyno to make sure you are not getting too much pull... ideally you want to use more timing than boost as high boost generates heat whereas timing advance not so much...

So this means its not really a train smash, only revo setting might need to be setup & logged?

Found Welly's Thread; More S3 Drama....

Thanx Tuffty!

Ok... after having another read of your first post I see you have affectively created a hybrid K04 from the TFSI turbo?

With the right kit this is a 340hp capable turbo and the std injectors will max out at around 280/290hp....

It will be ok if you don't run much boost and keep the power in the boundaries of the injectors you have but if you want to push it then you are gonna struggle without larger injectors... 550cc's are normally used and that will require a custom map as the injectors will need rescaling... you may hit issues with surge too as Revo is quite aggressive and surge can happen with the larger compressors on these turbos..

<tuffty/>