How do I fit an oil temp gauge?

Benjiman46

R-Tech Terrorist
Reaction score
Hi all!

How would I fit an oil temperature gauge to my S3 8L APY?

I need to know where I would put the sensor or where I would get the reading.

Hope you can help

Cheers
Ben

put a sensor in the oil drain plug. adapter is about £5 from ebay. and just buy a external gauge for the readings

Thanks for the reply.

And will the oil drain plug sensor set-up be ok? I've heard mixed reviews about these.

I've ordered the Gauge and it comes with a "Fitting Kit" so I'm guessing I'll need the sump plug with a certain thread in it that matches the kit?

Cheers

The oil drain plugs for these sensors are quite frankly an pile of sh*te

Stick it in the top of the oil filter housing or tee it into where the oil pressure sensor is...

All the cars I have seen that have these things leak or have rounded the stupid brass or aluminium POS adaptor nut so you can't get them out to change the oil..

<tuffty/>

i didn't have one problem with the sensor being in my sump. i've still got the sensor and adapter in now (taken the gauge out to fit a wideband AFR gauge instead)

i've done 2 oil changes having the sensor didn't cause a problem (oil change every 6 months)

Ok, mixed views there lol the kit I've bought has a 1/8 NPT threaded sensor included (which is M10 I believe) is there ANYWHERE on the engine, oil filter housing or sump where I can just bolt this straight in?

If not, what size sump plug adaptor will I need? Is it M14 x 1.5?

Cheers in advance! :)

Anyone? :) I'm going to have a look tomorrow, but would love for someone to save me a job hahaCheers