EM TuningAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Turbo acceleration problem

I just got a 2002 A3 1.8 T, and the car runs very nice, but i noticed that when i accelerate in second or third gear, then the i can hear that the turbo does not boost for half a second, then goes back to boosting again. It does not do this in the first gear. It happens as soon as i hit 2.000 RPM, and its every time. Its not really a big deal, but it feels like i loose boost comepletely for half a second, and the car needs to build it up again. I dont really much about cars. I know that the car has just had a new MAF sensor and a bunch of new hoses and tubes, so what can it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by anderswhk View Post
    I just got a 2002 A3 1.8 T, and the car runs very nice, but i noticed that when i accelerate in second or third gear, then the i can hear that the turbo does not boost for half a second, then goes back to boosting again. It does not do this in the first gear. It happens as soon as i hit 2.000 RPM, and its every time. Its not really a big deal, but it feels like i loose boost comepletely for half a second, and the car needs to build it up again. I dont really much about cars. I know that the car has just had a new MAF sensor and a bunch of new hoses and tubes, so what can it be?
    First point is to get it on a VAGCOM - it's a computer that will diagnose any error codes being generated by your A3

This should hopfully point you in the right direction as to where to start. There is a thread as to different garages over the uk that have them.

Good call on the 1.8T, welcome to ASN

550 cc Injectors / Milltek Exhaust Manifold

Forge Silicone / Goodridge Hoses / EBC A/R

G60 SMF / Launch Control Map

Powerflex Black A/R / H&R Anti-Roll Bars

Carbon Wrapping / 104Db @5400 RPM

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    VCDS (formally VAGCOM) is software and can be installed on any Windows based operating system (Macs too using Boot Camp or similar)

You can either buy a cheap eBay lead and use VCDS Lite ($99 license to enable all features on the machine its installed on only) or pay just over £200 for the full version with a proper Ross Tech lead...

Best investment you will make by far as most issues will need this tool to check for fault codes and data logging to help diagnose issues...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Hey, thanks, i didnt know that this was mainly a UK forum. Im in Denmark, and later this month i am taking the A3 to the dealership, as i was told that it was "called in", was not sure what it meant, but the mechanic said that there has been an update to some part in the car (Dont know the english word), and that they will change this for free.

I guess i can count on a licensed Audi/VW dealership having this VAGCOM right?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Dealers have a machine thats similar... the parts that will be changed I suspect will be the coil packs... there has been a similar recall here...

Yes, ASN is mostly UK mate but all the info here is relevant :D

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Alright thanks, i will have them take a look at it.