AH FabricationsEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add egesford on Facebook

octavia vrs, leon cupra or a3 1.8t

thinking of changing cars in may, getting bored of my diesel and its gonna be expensive to get it up the the power i want. thinking of a leon cupra, octavia vrs or an a3 1.8t. am i right in thinking these all come with the same 180bhp engine with ko3s turbo? leaning towards a3 simply because i have just bought springs and dampers for mine, and could keep them for the new car, or the octavia for the boot. would my suspension fit either of the other cars??

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Leon cupra I would say. My dad has one feels very nippy great handling and a lot more responsive then my s3.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add egesford on Facebook
    only problem with the cupra is i cant afford to insure the cupra r which is the one id really want

4th Gear

Status
    Audi a3 all the way !! Let the modding begin!
    p

THE BLUE BEAST, TAKEN FROM ME, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
    RTECH STAGE 2 REMAP NOW RUNNING 223 BHP AND 253 FTLB OF TORQUE,
    SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ESTATE SOON TO BE RUNNING 340 BHP
    ANTI LAG/LAUNCH CONTROL/MAF LESS/ LOVE IT !!

thats me

Status
    octavia VRS is probally the best out of the lot.

Test drove a leon cupra r and it wasn`t nice to drive imo very skitty and the cabin was nothing to write home about. (note not current leon)

Octavia is a understated car and Skoda did have all the latest machines so build quality is spot on.

all depends on what your after as I wouldn`t normally coompare leon/A3 and Octavia. What about a Fabia VRS ????
    red to red black to black blue to bits

6th Gear

Status
    If that's the case it would be the same as the a3/s3 situation. The Leon cupra is a great car. Remap would bring it close to cupra r figures.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    If you are thinking 2wd A3 it won't have a K03s on it, so it will be 150 BHP and map to around 200 Just FYI

Seeing you have the springs and they are different for quattro models over 2wd

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Photography View Post
    If you are thinking 2wd A3 it won't have a K03s on it, so it will be 150 BHP and map to around 200 Just FYI

Seeing you have the springs and they are different for quattro models over 2wd
    Facelift A3's all come with the ko3S Mark, AUM engine came in around the same time as the facelift.

the AUM is mechanically identical to the AUQ 180bhp engine in the leon and skoda.

best value for money out there at the moment is a leon cupra, with decent examples for as little as £1500, 180bhp, 312mm brakes, nice interior, all as standard.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Status
    oh yea, and your A3 springs will fit a Leon cupra or octavia
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Facelift A3's all come with the ko3S Mark, AUM engine came in around the same time as the facelift.

the AUM is mechanically identical to the AUQ 180bhp engine in the leon and skoda.
    The one downside to the facelifters being that both the AUM and AUQ both have the K03s, but also have 19mm wrist pinned con rods.

Good old VAG. Up a turbo size, down a gudgeon size.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Status
    true, true, but you're never going to throw a rod on a Ko3S really are you? 230bhp / 270bhp is a realistic MAX for the turbo. I've only heard of one ko3S car throwing it's rods, and that had a WOTbox style system in place which is the likely cause....

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add egesford on Facebook
    I do like the octavia a lot, and if my new suspension will fit, il probably end up getting one. Do any of these cars get the pd150 engine? i dont want another golf but that engine is ideal as could get it to 200bhp ish and keep half decent mpg within my budget

6th Gear

Status
    Ok it doesnt have the k03s but the missus bought a Leon sport which still has the 312mm brakes, Factory mapped to 180bhp, had only 80k on it with cambelt just done and a service. £1200 which was a bargain really considering A3`s we looked at for decent ones were coming up at nearly 1500 and Golfs were the same or less with a million miles and tatty as hell. Cupra`s were going for about 1400-1600 but had like 130k+ and werent as tidy.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    true, true, but you're never going to throw a rod on a Ko3S really are you? 230bhp / 270bhp is a realistic MAX for the turbo. I've only heard of one ko3S car throwing it's rods, and that had a WOTbox style system in place which is the likely cause....
    Agreed, not the power there to do the damage with the K03s.

Does limit modability in future is the only thing. For example, you wouldn't want to fire a K03 hybrid on there and turn the volume up! lol.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Reverse Gear

Status
    Have this debate locally on a regular basis...no doubt for me that id choose the A3, at the end of the day its an audi, all about status

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post

Does limit modability in future is the only thing. For example, you wouldn't want to fire a K03 hybrid on there and turn the volume up! lol.
    Imo would be no more dangerous than doing it on an AGU for instance, and at least with an AUM you would be able to map safer with the later ECU and additional sensors offering more options.

Pre facelift A3 1.8t's can be had for under a grand now with 100k on them, and as soon as you go over 100k they are all worth the same money anyway. In my biased opinion unless you need the space I'd buy an A3 every time.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

MUSH Developments Ltd.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post

I bolted a k04 up to my old AUQ lump with the 19mm pins. It ran 275bhp with over 300lbft and never skipped a beat in 1000s of hard driven miles.

The lightweight chassis (mk2 golf) and damn good mapping is what i put my good fortune down to.
    Audi S3 1.9 GT30....

....that is all

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Good evening all. Iv had a cupra, which was a lovely car, a nice set of rs4 reps and away you go. Only trouble with the vrs or leon is that as you stated the insurance is the killer. An A3 has a group 14(old style) insurance group and the cupra 16 and same for the vrs unles thats a 17 like the cupra r. A3 is the best all rounder, with plenty for £15-1800.

Status
    Never liked the others interior after the S3

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add egesford on Facebook
    ive just got insurance quotes for all of them and the vrs came out cheapest, it was actually cheaper than my tdi. octavia wins! now got to find a nice 1

6th Gear

Status
    Suppose its because its a family saloon instead of a warm hatchback? lol

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by egesford View Post
    ive just got insurance quotes for all of them and the vrs came out cheapest, it was actually cheaper than my tdi. octavia wins! now got to find a nice 1
    I saw a bloody awesome VRS saloon for sale last week, full Revo stage 2, 230bhp, coilovers, ARB's, looked great, about £2300

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add egesford on Facebook
    sounds good