Temp guage

New2Audi

Reaction score
Hello,

Just recently (about a week or so now), my temp guage isn't going up and the electronic reading is not going above 60. Hover between 50-60. Only when the car is idle will it sneek up above 60. Even the coolant is not getting boiling hot (so to speak).

Had thermostat and temp sensor changed last spring. Can't figure out what could be wrong? Anti-Freeze leak perhaps..drip by drip...I dunno.

Would this affect fuel consumption?

Your help would be appreciated pls.

Many thanks.

P.S Tyres are inflated just in case..

Last edited:
its either your CTS or stat again
do you get good heat ? if so its the CTS
did you buy oem or cheap tat ?

failed CTS can affect fuel consumption

...and another one!!! LOL

Sorry bud, this question has been asked so many times in the past few weeks its unreal...

Its your CTS if you have changed the stat... seeing as you have asked the question about fuel consumption I would assume yours has got worse... the answer is yes, if the ECU is only seeing 60degs water temp it still thinks its in cold start and will use more fuel (like old skool chokes)

Welcome to ASN :D

<tuffty/>

Reactions: New2Audi
bit of HTML or XML going on there <tuffty/>! :)

Sorry, yeh just read other posts also. Others problems are looking like failed stat.

Need it getting looked at before getting stat, if thats the case or CTS (whatever that is)...

coolant temp sensor
easy to fit
get it from audi not much ££££
on the right as you look at it from the front plugged into one of the coolant hoses above the gearbox,

yep they can
and if it was an aftermarket 1 they always fail quick

The CTS (coolant temp sensor) contains two sensors... one for the dash and one for the ECU... first signs of the CTS going can be jittery engine temp gauge or it suddenly drop from 90 to 60 or something...

Difficult to say when it could have gone but cheaper pattern parts are known to fail quickly... that said I have had a CTS and stat from GSF in mine for years...

<tuffty/>

Only buy genuine OEM CTS, stat etc because at least you'll have a guarantee to fall back on.

Thin we need a sticky for the CTS stat etc, as it will save a lot of double threads lol :)

Only buy genuine OEM CTS, stat etc because at least you'll have a guarantee to fall back on.

Thin we need a sticky for the CTS stat etc, as it will save a lot of double threads lol :)

It won't stop them coming tbh... nobody seems to read them lol...

<tuffty/>

i have changed the stat on mine and temp sensor, the temp gauge use to occassionally worm but dones even register now