Air con pulley.

DavidW

Reaction score
Is it possible just to change the pulley on the aircon compressor?

I've recently changed a belt that was squealing and was heavily worn on the outside, now the new belt is starting to squeal too. I've taken it off and the pulley on the aircon has a small amount of play in it so I'm thinking the bearings are worn. By play i mean if I grab it I can rock it slightly on it's spindle, kind of like when a wheel bearing goes. Is this a good assumption? All other pulleys seem solid and seeing as it's the outside of the belt that's worn it seems to point to that or the tensioner.

Not sure thats how it works... the pully on the aircon pump forms part of a clutch system so the aircon can be turned on/off... never really checked but suspect a little play is normal...

I have seen something similar to this wear/noise before.... the tensioner pulley is held on by 3 bolts... the top 2 bolts also secure a bracket that is used to hold a water pipe... I have seen this bracket put on incorrectly which pitches the tensioner over as its not on square... this cause a whining noise and uneven wear on the belt...

if the bracket has been put on in between the tensioner and the alloy alternator bracket then its on wrong... the tensioner should sit flat on the alloy bracket and the other bracket fits to the tensioner...

<tuffty/>

The tensioner "should" be fitted right as, if I remember correctly, I haven't had it off and the problems with the belt are fairly recent. The old belt was worn only on the side that sits against the tensioner and the aircon, also wear was not even across the belt, I think the first 4 ribs were flat.

Swapping belts stopped the noise for a few weeks but it's back just as bad as before, although the belt is nothing like as worn you can see it is starting to get that way.

Obviously that's not to say it isn't the tensioner that's at fault (and I hope it is because it seems a much easier fix) but the aircon pulley was the only one that I could feel any kind of play in before I started to lose light.