How to access the suspention rear top mounts?

s3black

Reaction score
I have had a look in the boot space for any top mount bolts but all i can see is a small grub screw gromit thing that has sealer all around it. So i cant see this being it as i have coilovers and from how it looks it has never been touched before lol. Sorry for the s**t description btw. Any info will be great...... part numbers for what i will need to stop the clunking? can hit TPS today :thumbsup:

Thanks.

i didnt think S3's had rear top mounts?

Dont they have inclined shocks attached to the rear subframe and the spring sitting on the trailing arm?

Nope... on quattros (S3/A3) there are no top mounts... rear dampers bolt to the chassis... you need to loosen the inner arch a bit to get to the top bolt but can all be done on the outside of the car...

<tuffty/>

Cheers TUFFTY. How is this "loosening the wheel arch" done? sorry to sound so dumb :whistle2:

We fitted my mates coilies on his EP civic last night and it was bolted from inside the boot space..... but hey thats the Japs for you...... make things nice and easy paha.

The plastic arch liner bit... there are a few screws dotted about to hold it to the rear bumper and the inner arch... you only need to remove them from the rear half of the arch liner to allow better access
20090313_IMG_4781.jpg

You only need to be able to move the arch liner out the way a tad to get to the top bolt... when tightening it all back up, make sure the damper is on the bottom first as it goes in at a slight angle and you can cross thread the suspension arm if you are not careful...

<tuffty/>

The clunking could be the ARB drop links... this normally happens as you load up going round a corner... check those for wear as they go at the ball joints where they fix to the ARB...

<tuffty/>

The clunking could be the ARB drop links... this normally happens as you load up going round a corner... check those for wear as they go at the ball joints where they fix to the ARB...

<tuffty/>

Checked them and all seem tight. Its strange as when its cold in the morning its noisy but when run in for 10 mins it seems to be quieter. hmmmm lol