Badger5JMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Handling poor since new alloys fitted

Got a set of genuine 18" bbs ch alloys with 215 40 18 falken tyres on them recently. since fitting them to my s3 8l the handling has went very poor the car is understeering on most corners even at low speeds. would the alloys cause this with the tyres being stretched or would i need to maybe upgrade my suspension or some bushes to make it handle better ?

i have 8mm spacers on the back for a better stance and no spacers on the front. i thought it was due to the roads recently but dry today and no grit on roads so should handle normal.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    215/40/18's are a bit narrower than is normally fitted... 225/40/18 as a rule... plus what wheel size/tyre size have you come from? if you are comparing pilot 3's to FK452's for example then its never gonna be the same..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Stretch tyre- less tread on road surface...bound to affect the handling dude.

That's why cars like Porsche, Ferrari and such have wider wheels than the average. More tread on road...better traction
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

6th Gear

Status
    Stretched tyres will do you no favours as it reduces teh needed sidewall flex to keep the tread on the road where it's meant to be. As has been said the do seem on the narrow side too. What tyres did you have on there before hand as I'm not a fan of Falken tyres at all and would rate the Kumho KU31 in much higher esteem for a budget tyre

Life begins at 140mph
    Sell my Audi??? Kiss my rings!
    www.passionford.com

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for replies guys

i got the tyres along with the alloys i think they were on awesome al bora before i got them from him. i had standard 17" s3 alloys with goodyear f1's on before i knew they would not be as good but didn't think it would go so poor.

have just went up to the local garage and checked tyre pressures and they were a bit low so have pumped them all up a bit and has help to a degree.

i'm looking at getting suspension kit, r32 arb and, s3 dave tie arms so once there fitted should handle better hopefully

also will go for a wider tyre when they need replaced in the future would 225 be ok if i am going to be lowering the car with the new suspension kit ?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by djx11b View Post
    thanks for replies guys

i got the tyres along with the alloys i think they were on awesome al bora before i got them from him. i had standard 17" s3 alloys with goodyear f1's on before i knew they would not be as good but didn't think it would go so poor.

have just went up to the local garage and checked tyre pressures and they were a bit low so have pumped them all up a bit and has help to a degree.

i'm looking at getting suspension kit, r32 arb and, s3 dave tie arms so once there fitted should handle better hopefully

also will go for a wider tyre when they need replaced in the future would 225 be ok if i am going to be lowering the car with the new suspension kit ?
    Hopefully it will keep the tyre patch in contact with the road, but stretch will always compromise the tyres performance. When you think you've got 4 patches smaller than the average sized mans shoe footprint, every little helps. Weather conditions /cold will make it worse so hopefully as it warms up a bit it may help.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

6th Gear

Status
    You should defo be running 225/40/18 tyres mate, and yes they will be perfectly fine on a lowered S3 its exactly the wheel and tyre combo ive been running for the last seven years mate.
    2007 A3 TDI 170 S Line
    Sold - 2002 S3

1st Gear

Status
    could do with larger tyres and getting some upgrades for the car arb, suspension etc

problem with remap at moment and going to cost a bit to get sorted right so going to have to sell the alloys to fund that gutted

5th Gear

Status
    Pm me if you do sell them...priced without tyres. Cheers )
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap