ECU Flashing/Remap question

sideways steve

Reaction score
Ok heres the question, I have a known good stage 1 map file for a 2001 AMK engined S3 with Hardware and software numbers that match that of mine since I also have a 2001 AMK Engined S3.

If I flash the map file I have onto my own ECU am I going to have an issue with my immobiliser since the original file was not from my own car ?

Hoping someone like beachbuggy, tufty etc will know the answer to this ! I dont want to flash it on to discover I then cannot start the car !

Checksums are normally the issue here... I don't profess to be an expert in this particular area as its more Bill that does that side of things... but I am learning ;P

Some of the files that are available don't tend to be from European cars so not sure what will do tbh... Bill, Nick or Dan can most likely give you a better answer though... soz :)

<tuffty/>

You wont have issues with the immob but you can run into other things.. If the flash file is from 2 of the well known mappers then you will find certain protection coding written to the flash file. Now, these wont stop you starting the car, but may disable the the throttle or just set the map back to a stock map. On the whole though you shouldn't have a problem if the ecu coding matches as many tuners don't go to these lengths. If you are planning to flash the ecu, then make sure you back up the eeprom 95040 as well as the original flash as this could be your only get of jail card if you do brick the ecu. I'll pm you

Cheers guys, Just for your info its not from one of the well known tuners. This is a DIY map file that has been verified and tested by another UK nefmoto member and it was derived from his stock map file.

Dan, will reply to your PM too.

I suspect you want to have a good look over that AMK map before you use it, as theres next to no info posted about it...

Unless you've spoken to the guy who posted it?

I suspect you want to have a good look over that AMK map before you use it, as theres next to no info posted about it...

Unless you've spoken to the guy who posted it?

Hi Mate,

Yeh I have been chatting with him over PM's :) I know hes adjusted the fuelling and boost but I am trying to find out if hes touched anything else. Its setup to request 1.4 bar and he has been running it on his own car, however the version that you can download is not the one he has sent to me. He has further altered it since it was posted on nefmoto.

I will be making sure I am happy with what hes done before I even attempt to flash it to my own car.

I wish tuning these S3's was as easy as the jap stuff, its so much easier doing it live and being able to see what changes as you adjust things ! This flashing malarky seems so trial and error in comparison to mapping it live as you cant really be 100% sure on what affect a change will have until its been flashed onto the ecu.

Hi Mate,

Yeh I have been chatting with him over PM's :) I know hes adjusted the fuelling and boost but I am trying to find out if hes touched anything else. Its setup to request 1.4 bar and he has been running it on his own car, however the version that you can download is not the one he has sent to me. He has further altered it since it was posted on nefmoto.

I will be making sure I am happy with what hes done before I even attempt to flash it to my own car.

I wish tuning these S3's was as easy as the jap stuff, its so much easier doing it live and being able to see what changes as you adjust things ! This flashing malarky seems so trial and error in comparison to mapping it live as you cant really be 100% sure on what affect a change will have until its been flashed onto the ecu.

'Live' tuning can be done using an emulator but the kit is a bit of an investment and also best done on a dyno where you can safely load the engine...

<tuffty/>

Thats interesting to know, sounds like similar kit I had for doing 200sx's in the past as those were done in a similar way to the S3 but you could do it "live" with some special kit. Again though it was not cheap and you also had to factor in booking time on a dyno so it ended up working out just as easy to get someone to remap it for you.

emulating is still not live as in dial it in whilst engine running.... It saves flashing time for sure, but its not 1:1 adjust like my DTA ecu's I use. Proper real time mapping on them.

Ah ok so it really is like the stuff I used to use on the 200sx's then. It was called NISTUNE and with the correct cable you could adjust the map while driving then pull over to flash it, then drive and log again, then adjust, stop, flash, drive and so on.

On my RX7 I ran Greddy Emanage on one and on the other I had standalone Apexi PFC both of which you could "live" map 1:1 as you were driving using the laptop. I also used to have the LM-1 kit with a harness made up that allowed me to map against AFR on the eManage which made it far better than using its stock airflow tables or pressure tables.

The Apexi stuff was in a league of its own but then you would expect that from a standalone. That also meant more kit to allow you to connect using the laptop for mapping even though I also had the hand controller. Really the hand controller was more for monitoring although it would let you adjust certain tables if you really needed to.

You could do what you describe on the 200sx on the S3 using tunerpro or WinOLS to modify the maps, VCDS or ME7Logger to log and Nefmoto to flash. Might not be as tidy as having it all rolled into one, but its no different in principle.