Turbo Noise

FaisalJ

Reaction score
Hi all,
Newbie here, so hope somebody can help.
I've recently started gettting some turbo noise on gear change on my '01 1.8T A3. It sounds like the wastegate, though I have never heard this until a couple of weeks ago. There's no loss of power or anything unusual.
Anybody any ideas, and is it something to worry about?

Yeah thats a perfect discription!
When I lift off the throttle even at low revs or when changing gear.
Any ideas?

Thats what it sounds like to me too. I had heard that noise for 4 months assuming it was normal as this wa my first turbo car but i noticed on this website that it is the sound of a knackered DV. I got a new one and the noise went away. You can pay about £20 for a standard one or 70 - 90 for an uprated one.

Cheers guys, I thought the turbo was on it's way out at first!
Off to the mailn stealers it is then.............

I think dealers aren't too bad on the DV..but remember to shop around at places like www.vagparts.com (not everything listed so worth a call) or on ebay as a habit before going anywhere near a dealer.

Thanks,
Vagparts have the A3 OE dump valve (the 710N) for only £15.41 +VAT. I'll get it ordered, so hopefully that should cure it.
Thanks for all your help.

Don't forget to get some clips. At least one of the DV clips (top one I think) is one use only.

I gotta say i had this and changed the DV, but the new one makes the same noise!

Mine is having the same problem.. If i go for a forged DV, will it still be silent like the OEM.? Can't be doing with all that Chssssss! noise every time i easy off.

Cheers

No point in uprated DV's. Just get the OEM "N" version and you will be fine.

And no the forge DV wont make a chav whooosh noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

definetly worth uprating the dv if you have a remap.

Job Done!
Replaced the DV with a standard OEM 710N from Vagparts for £15.
Cured the problem straight away!