NOT getting up to temperature

hobo_mofo

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the last couple of weeks my A3 has been taking ages to finally get to 90 degrees. Sometimes im driving for 30 mins and its not even 90 degrees. When it eventually get there it sometimes drops and fluctuates. Coolant is fine. The car is due a service soon so im gonna get it seen to but.....

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

Thermostat. Stuck open, so coolant is constantly being cooled whilst driving.

Blimey... there should be a prize for someone posting the millionth 'not getting to temp' thread lol...

I have lost count of how many of these have been posted over the past month or so ;P

As said bud, thermostat is a very common fault as is the coolant temp sensor... if changing the stat doesn't fix it then changing the CTS should...

<tuffty/>

is it just me or are these thermostats complete pants, mine went, so i replaced it with a motorad one, which doesnt open. so i replaced that with a genuine audi one, which after 1 week, i think is stuck open

Blimey... there should be a prize for someone posting the millionth 'not getting to temp' thread lol...

I have lost count of how many of these have been posted over the past month or so ;P

As said bud, thermostat is a very common fault as is the coolant temp sensor... if changing the stat doesn't fix it then changing the CTS should...

<tuffty/>

Yes, Mines f**ked to lol

i thought it might of been the thermostat. Read a few similar threads but wanted to make sure.

Cheers all

Would this by any chance have something to do with my crap MPG?

Yeah. Car will be injecting more fuel (to warm up the engine). I was getting about 22mpg. Then once changed it rose to 28 within a week.

Just to add to the list mines sitting at 80 deg for last week, but is in for a service tomorrow so will be sorted then. They do seem to fail with frightening rapidity though.

Ok thats good to hear. Hopefully see an increase of 19mpg. Thanks all