Slow warm up - is it normal on 1997 1.8T?

cyberdude

Reaction score
Website
www.sunseaker.co.uk
Hi, my friend just bought a 1997 1.8T A3. When we went for a drive I noticed that it takes a long time for the engine coolant to warm up. We drove at least 8km with outside temp at 27C and the temp gauge only just crept above 60C. To me this is too slow. In my A4 the temp gets to 90C within about 3Km.

Is this slow warm up normal on the 1.8T A3 from that year? If not what could it be? I suspect the thermostat sticking open. Would appreciate any opinions

Thanks

I would consider the water pump being faulty, so the coolant isn't flowing around the engine which is a common problem amongs these engines, what mileage has your car covered and has it had the cam belt changed recently?

Don't worry if it is taking time to warm up, it is ok to run cool, worry if it is running hot.

There can't be a problem with the coolant pump, if there was it would be overheating. Just a trait of the car

my car reaches normal temp after 2 miles or in around 5 minutes, could the gauge be faulty?

mine takes about 10 mins normal driving. i thought its ok to run cool but never to put your foot down (ie changing at 5500 revs) until the temp is at 90.

maybe the thermostat is staying open thus taking longer for it to engine to initially get up to working temperature

don't forget that just because the water is up to temperature does not mean the oil is.....

Thanks for the replies. I am sorry I haven't replied earlier but I was away on holiday.

The car has done 96,000Km and the cam belt was changed at the correct mileage. The car has a full VAG service history. I suspect the thermostat too so we'll look at that first. Is the thermostat easily accessible or is it a trip to the dealer to replace it?

At least now I no that it should only take a couple of miles or around 5 minutes to warm up.