Cared out a pressure test today and found a big leak under inlet manifold! s3 8l

S3 JOHN

Reaction score
hi all.

Cared out a pressure test today on my s3 and found a big leak under inlet manifold! There is a split in the right angle piece just under the manifold next to the dip stick holder . Has anyone had this issue before? if so is it easy to fix ? and to buy a OME part or can you buy a silicone replacement ?

Any help would be great

Very common mate, yeh oem parts are fine until you remap i suppose.
Simple job overall, you may need a little screw driver to get the factory clips off , and dont break the nipple on the mani as that will be a pita.

its stage one so is it best to replace it with silicone ? can you buy silicone right angle sections?

Fairly typical place to split... your choice as to buying an OEM bit or using silicon... main problem with this pipe is that it is two different diameters... has a smallish one from the inlet mani then goes larger when connected to the pump valve... using silicon won't emulate this... I have used 8mm i/d silicon but its a compromise...

What a lot of people tend to do is remove all of the PCV pipes etc and simplify it... it means less things to go wrong... if you don't fancy doing it then I would probably replace the hose with an OEM one unless its like £30 or something stupid which isn't unheard of from VAG...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for that . I would like to replace it all with silicone under there is it a big job ?

Its fairly simple... the end game is to remove all the pipes etc from under the inlet mani and make sure you have no air leaks and the servo works properly...

Here is a guide.... not model specific but you will get the idea...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...de-how-fit-catch-can-simplify-pcv-system.html

Make sure you test your brakes are working before test driving.. biggest mistake here is getting the check valve the wrong way round... it needs to prevent boost from entering the servo but allow vacuum as this is how the servo operates..

When I did mine I used one of the small outlets for the FPR, the other for the boost gauge and the one in the middle for my dump valve as I have done an N249 bypass... if you haven't done the N249 bypass yet or don't intent too then the other small outlet should go to the N249...

Underside of my inlet looks like this...
20100927_IMAG0340.jpg

<tuffty/>

you don't fancy doing it then I would probably replace the hose with an OEM one unless its like £30 or something stupid which isn't unheard of from VAG...

<tuffty/>

I think its about £16+vat from TPS. Il try and dig out the part number, if its the same as an AUM?

Thanks for that tuffty . Just one final question , how much and what size pipe do i need to carry this out and do i need any T pieces .
I have carried out the N249 .

Thanks badger5 for all your help but think im gonna go for simplify option. cheers mate