how has this not sold yet?

Because the buy it now is 800 quid too much?

Next...

Have you seen how much car you can get for 4200 pounds? For that money I'd be expecting a lot more than a 225bhp S3 with a miltek on it.

Last edited:

Next...

respectfully Disagree there... 2001 facelift 88k Full history, cambelt etc done, Sunroof and a full milltek. Even in the description it says ONO on the price. Then again I may be completely wrong and it may be a dog in the flesh.:whistle2:

Next...

Have you seen how much car you can get for 4200 pounds? For that money I'd be expecting a lot more than a 225bhp S3 with a miltek on it.

interesting, for that price I'd be looking at an S4 maybe? what cars did you have in mind for that price?

Buyers market. I agree with Jardo the BIN is too high.

It may say ONO but no one will expect him to drop from 4200 to the starting price, so they are probably waiting for the auction to end to put a sneaky bid in

Buyers market. I agree with Jardo the BIN is too high.

It may say ONO but no one will expect him to drop from 4200 to the starting price, so they are probably waiting for the auction to end to put a sneaky bid in

If I had viewed it and it was as good as described then yup I'd be doing the same :thumbsup: eBay sniper

I think that's a three and a half grand car, personally. And judging by the lack of buyers I'm not the only one.

If I had that sort of money, and was looking at a 12 year old car of that spec then I would be looking for performance? Under 4200 on Pistonheads at the moment I'd look at something like these if I wanted a performance car -

Subaru : Subaru Impreza WRX, Tastefully Tuned

BMW : BMW 330ci M-Sport (Genuine) Black Leather

Audi : MINT AUDI TT QUATTRO 265BHP XENONS MINT CAR

Seat : Seat Leon Cupra R 300bhp

Mitsubishi : MITSUBISHI EVO 4 GSR (1996) * WITH EVO 6 TME ENGINE & TURBO*

Nissan : Nissan Skyline R33 New Forged Engine £11K+ spent

Toyota : 1993 Toyota Supra GZ Twin turbo 96k miles + Black leather

Nissan : original pearl white kouki silvia

Jaguar : JAGUAR XJR 4.0 V8 SUPERCHARGED *73K mls* FSH Lovely Condition

The list of "better" performance cars that you could buy for the cost of that S3 are literally endless. Of cause better is within context, but given the limitations of an S3 personally I do not see them as a performance car when compared with the alternatives within their price bracket. Because S3's have held their value as other faster, better handling, better spec'd and more modifiable cars have dropped IMO they have been overtaken by the market place. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the S3 in any way, they are lovely cars. But for me, if you are looking at a 12 year old hot hatch then you are buying it for one thing...cheap performance. And unless you WANT an S3 then why not buy a better performing car for the same money?

I'm pretty sure I did enquire about this car before I bought my S3. Very sketchy service history put me off.

Christ Jardo, there's some proper chav waggons in that list.

The problem with that S3 is that its not well enough spec'd from factory to command £4200 and the pictures just don't show it off, assuming its in good nick in the metal.

Christ Jardo, there's some proper chav waggons in that list.

The problem with that S3 is that its not well enough spec'd from factory to command £4200 and the pictures just don't show it off, assuming its in good nick in the metal.

Do you not think an S3 is slipping into chav status? :p

IMO an S3 is a performance car, and as I said I don't think it offers enough performance for it's price bracket. Drop it out of the performance car catagory, get the insurance banding down to practical hot hatch premiums and it's a great buy in the 3-5K price bracket due to the half decent MPG and practicality.

Remapped they are quite a giggle, but seeing as a standard S3 is no quicker in the real world than a £500 306GTI6 why would you bother with additional costs of owning a car like that?

I would argue that the build quality and sure footed awd system along with spec and comparative performance mark it as much of a performance car as say a Subaru. Having had a 2002 impreza I would say the S3 is a far better car in every respect the only thing the Subaru was better for was the soundtrack. I have not looked at the specific cars on this list but if you are comparing modified cars to a standard S3 then that does not work. As you said if you WANT an S3 then you are going to have to pay for it sure there are cheap cars out there but they all come with probs. I paid 2750 for mine and it has a dink in the wing and needs the rear bumper painting but it has full Audi history and has done 108000 miles. It's awesome yes not as fast as some cars but it's built better sticks to the road better and has more toys than most similar cars and 250 quid for 260hp puts it to keeping up with my mates focus rs.

Cheers jaz

Reactions: Buzzer
I would argue that the build quality and sure footed awd system along with spec and comparative performance mark it as much of a performance car as say a Subaru. Having had a 2002 impreza I would say the S3 is a far better car in every respect the only thing the Subaru was better for was the soundtrack. I have not looked at the specific cars on this list but if you are comparing modified cars to a standard S3 then that does not work. As you said if you WANT an S3 then you are going to have to pay for it sure there are cheap cars out there but they all come with probs. I paid 2750 for mine and it has a dink in the wing and needs the rear bumper painting but it has full Audi history and has done 108000 miles. It's awesome yes not as fast as some cars but it's built better sticks to the road better and has more toys than most similar cars and 250 quid for 260hp puts it to keeping up with my mates focus rs.

Cheers jaz

I disagree to a certain extent, but I take your standard vs modified point.

Standard S3's are slow, you HAVE to modify them with at least a stage one remap to make them any good as a performance car. Anybody who argues with that needs their head examined. As a performance car, relative to their weight and given their power they don't warrant their 4WD system in standard form. It just isn't necessary IMO. Bearing in mind here we are talking about performance, because that's after all what the S3 is supposed to be.

In my experience people who are looking at spending the sort of money that an 8L S3 is at the moment, they are either looking for something cheap and smart...as new as they can get...or an older performance car to get bang for their buck. I don't see a market for a sure footed, reliable, slightly underpowered (given it's weight), expensive to insure, Haldex 4WD powered hatch back. The other options on the market, even as standard are just such a better option IMO. Look at a Clio Sport 182, a NICE 306 GTI6, an M3, a Saab 9-3 Viggen, hell even an S4 for the 4200 pounds that car below is. All of which would out do a standard S3 in all aspects in a performance situation for much less money.

Given the interior of the S3, it's got climate control...leather seats...a Bose sound system if you're lucky...cruise control if you're lucky...But what else is there that isn't on EVERY car of the same year?

HOWEVER, buy an S3 on the cheap, fix the niggles, get it up to stage 2 mapping and it's a TOTALLY different story and they are awesome and one of the best value for money cars out there. But to demand a price premium for originality IMO devalues the vehicle, because there will always be a modified one round the corner for the same money which is 10x the car.

Are we talking about a Mk1 RS here?

The bottom line is that a car is worth what somebody will pay for it, amd if you got it for a price you are happy with and you love it then that's all that matters :)

Noggy blue = outright win. Good work :)

I'm looking for one now but no way I would pay for it over 4k.
In the end facelift or not it is still 10 year old car. So doesn't matter if it costs 2.5k or 6.5k there is still no
guarantee that any of these cars will be technically fine. I would rather pay 2.5k and fix whatever it needs.

I'm looking for one now but no way I would pay for it over 4k.
In the end facelift or not it is still 10 year old car. So doesn't matter if it costs 2.5k or 6.5k there is still no
guarantee that any of these cars will be technically fine. I would rather pay 2.5k and fix whatever it needs.

Depends how much needs fixing really in my opinion. The seats in most cars I looked at were worn on bolsters and double the mileage. I did look at the 2001 car in Ming Blue with 45000 on clock for about 5000 but the colour did not do it for me. I could have bought an S4 convertible 2004 with rs4 front, arches and wheels in a nice blue but could not bring myself to face the fuel costs as I do 68 miles a day to and from work :) There is about 3 marks on the whole of my car and hopefully I can keep it this clean when summer comes. I might even get a set of original mint rims and Show it a bit. Not sure if there is much room in shows for a very clean original car though as a set of rims makes cars so much nicer.

Performance is a personal thing so its not right to say a standard S3 is not fast enough. Lets grow up a bit and realise that not everybody who buys an S3 is buying it to race every Tom, **** & tuned A3 out there on the road. 225bhp 0-60 in under 7secs maybe quite fast enough for many S3 owners. I'm sure most of us are into our 30's and above on here (aren't we?). I've owned Porsches, Integrales as well as RS's etc mainly because I like they way they look & they perform well enough to put a smile on my face. But not once have I got upset if some silly **** in a ratty looking tuned to the ******** heap has out done me by driven at ridiculous speeds to prove that he's spent more money on tuning his than I have on purchasing mine.
Why the hell would 4k plus be too much money to spend on a quality car that cost nearer 30k 10yrs ago. If its been looked after then your enjoying it as much as the first owner who thought it was worth 7 times as much. BARGAIN..........Nuff said

Reactions: millermk1
Performance is a personal thing so its not right to say a standard S3 is not fast enough. Lets grow up a bit and realise that not everybody who buys an S3 is buying it to race every Tom, **** & tuned A3 out there on the road. 225bhp 0-60 in under 7secs maybe quite fast enough for many S3 owners. I'm sure most of us are into our 30's and above on here (aren't we?). I've owned Porsches, Integrales as well as RS's etc mainly because I like they way they look & they perform well enough to put a smile on my face. But not once have I got upset if some silly **** in a ratty looking tuned to the ******** heap has out done me by driven at ridiculous speeds to prove that he's spent more money on tuning his than I have on purchasing mine.
Why the hell would 4k plus be too much money to spend on a quality car that cost nearer 30k 10yrs ago. If its been looked after then your enjoying it as much as the first owner who thought it was worth 7 times as much. BARGAIN..........Nuff said

I whole heartedly disagree, things depreciate. You can pick up just as much car for less money...So what makes the S3 worth it's price tag? It's interior isn't THAT great and they don't like so amazing that you'd pay a price premium for them IMO.

The public perception of a 90's performance Audi is expensive running costs, unreliable 4WD systems and poor fuel economy. And unfortunately it's the publics perception that price used cars.

I whole heartedly disagree, things depreciate. You can pick up just as much car for less money...So what makes the S3 worth it's price tag? It's interior isn't THAT great and they don't like so amazing that you'd pay a price premium for them IMO.

The public perception of a 90's performance Audi is expensive running costs, unreliable 4WD systems and poor fuel economy. And unfortunately it's the publics perception that price used cars.

I think rarity also has a say in how well a car holds up on depreciation. You don't see many S3 out there on a day to day basis making them quiet special. I also own a Porsche 968 Sport which some could question is it worth 9K today being 17yrs old but then the same age 911 would be much more. The're are lots of cars on the road that are not worth the metal they are made with, one marque comes to mind.....Mercedes, a so called quality product that commands a high price yet rots quicker than an old Micra hmmmm a more deserving badge to bash me thinks :box:

I chose an S3 over most of the other hot hatches/performance cars because
1/ looks good and not boy racer image
3/ too many GTIs and TTs and didnt want to go down that road
4/ Good standard spec, leather, climate xenons etc
5/ decent resale value if i was selling on quickly
6/decent performance and easy to increase
Most of the cars listed for 4k above are great performance cars, with some dodgy styling,some old bangers(jag) and some gas guslers.
The S3 for me is the best of all areas