3rd gear logs

Lets not speculate on stuff here guys... this thread has highlighted some potential issues and from what I understand Jim is working on a resolution. Can't ask for more than that.

Lets not get out of context with the discussion as people will find this thread and potentially get the wrong impression of an established and respected company (and this can go for any company)...

Lets deal with the facts as they come along...

<tuffty/>

latest - jim has a tuned s3 in his shop from down south by a well known tuner done vagcom on it and remap coming back as 0.95.

He has now used his innovate scanner and it has came back with interesting results. Looks like vagcom might be showing a different amount from his innovate scanner. Will find out when he does my car.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Just checked vag-com v innovate results vag-com .92 innovate .85 I cannot wait to check your car with innovate.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Jim.[/FONT][/FONT]

Humm... thats interesting to say the least.... :)

Look forward to hear the results... things to take into consideration though is how the tests are done as there can be syncronisation issues between what VCDS reports and what a third party lambda will...

Logging more than one block on VCDS will decrease the resolution of the results as will doing a loaded run in the wrong gear... a lot of dynos sweep through the rev range very quickly which is not much use for this...

5th gear run on a heavy load logging both AFR onthe dyno (assuming it has the logger inout to do it) and VCDS block 031 only...

That way you get the best resolution over a fairly long run... that should give you a better picture...

Still the point is if the map is requesting 0.95 then thats what it does... I have not heard of another map that is tweaked to fool the ecu into thinking its doing 0.95 when its actually doing 0.85's worth of AFR...

In the cases here though the ETG temps are typical of a leaner AFR under a lot of boost from what I ave seen... K04's turbo'd cars with 0.85 lambda tend not to get as hot...

<tuffty/>

Position of the probe will affect its reading therefore if his innovate kit is using a probe shoved up the backbox it will read differently to the probe thats up by the turbo. That would explain the difference between vag.com and the innovate kit. Also with the innovate kit you must perform free air calibration before each use to make sure your getting a true reading.

This is the reason that many aftermarket downpipes have a spare port beside the one for the stock lambda probe its so you can fit your wideband probe and get a true reading.

hopefully will know a bit more in next couple of weeks once i get time to go back up to star performance and have Jim check it out for me. will post my results once i know.

Last edited:
update - Just received email and Jim's wanting £275 for the custom map so going to get it flashed back to standard and cut my loses :(. don't see why i should pay for another remap when my first one is running lean.

anyone recommend anywhere in scotland for a remap and some parts fitted ?

sorry but thats just ridiculous ! he admits that the software HE flashed to your car is not right yet wants to charge you to do it again ?? Thats just as bad as wanting to try and sell you an FPR !

Actually, this map won't do any damage. It is using the exact strategy that Audi used originally. The EGT is only modelled on this ECU, it does not use a physical sensor. The EGT model will add fuel when the modelled temperature rises, - this can be seen in action in this log. Audi did it like this because the engine produced its required power, and boost levels were very consertive, emissions and fuel consumption are reduced. When boost is increased, the temperatures obviously climbs much more quickly.

The purpose of a remap is usually to optimise the perfomance and response, which is what you are missing out on here.

Rick

Log shows block 112 actual measured egt in this example I think.
too hot, as we all agree.

OCT tuning sucks.. it seems in this instance

latest - jim has a tuned s3 in his shop from down south by a well known tuner done vagcom on it and remap coming back as 0.95.

He has now used his innovate scanner and it has came back with interesting results. Looks like vagcom might be showing a different amount from his innovate scanner. Will find out when he does my car.

Just checked vag-com v innovate results vag-com .92 innovate .85 I cannot wait to check your car with innovate.
Jim.

cars requesting its 0.9x lambda... and getting what its being asked for...
innovate up its **** does'nt change this fact... and the supporting egt's and fuel dump confirm its hot running... from lean running and higher boost

how it looks to me anyhows

@RickRST - yes my only car work close but need car to go to clients most days

@badger5 - yourself and others have been a great help and confirmed looks like not running right so just want it fixed and don't feel i should pay anything

just need to find somewhere else now to do a remap for me and also the work. noticed a place called auditechnikcentre near me who are a revo dealer might give them a shout but not going to be cheap for another remap. wheels now up for sale to cover this work needed if anyone interested 18" bbs ch.

phoned auditechnikcentre this morning they are no longer a revo dealer :(. they can do a mtm map which will adjust my fueling as well they are saying and wipe over star performance map but are looking for to much money to do it over £500. also after reading on here don't think mtm are to good are they ?

anyone recommend a revo dealer in scotland that is good ?

phoned auditechnikcentre this morning they are no longer a revo dealer :(. they can do a mtm map which will adjust my fueling as well they are saying and wipe over star performance map but are looking for to much money to do it over £500. also after reading on here don't think mtm are to good are they ?

anyone recommend a revo dealer in scotland that is good ?

Is there anyway you could borrow a car for a few days or something? I am sure there is something that could be done if you were able to have your S3 off the road for a week...

<tuffty/>

i could get the works van for a week or two if needed have spoken to the boss this morning so means i don't have to keep using it the now :D

Have Star not offered to refund you and put the car back to standard at all? is this an option?

<tuffty/>

I ask for a refund if they were not going to fix it originally he then offered a custom remap and i asked if that was free or not dodged the answer and is very vague with replies and now latest reply when i got a straight answer said he wants £275 for the custom remap.

I will send another email today asking for the car to be returned to standard and a refund but wouldn't hold my breath. I have asked for a definete answer today as starting to get annoyed as being mucked about and getting no further forward.

I ask for a refund if they were not going to fix it originally he then offered a custom remap and i asked if that was free or not dodged the answer and is very vague with replies and now latest reply when i got a straight answer said he wants £275 for the custom remap.

I will send another email today asking for the car to be returned to standard and a refund but wouldn't hold my breath. I have asked for a definete answer today as starting to get annoyed as being mucked about and getting no further forward.

That is crazy, are these people dillusional.

dj,

I know Falkland performance used to be a revo dealer, not sure if they still are. There is also someone in Stirling I believe.

I have not been to falkland before but have heard both good and bad stories, however the REVO software is proven and as such if there just flashing it on and not messing with it then you should be ok.

Revo | Dealer Search

As for the MTM stuff, I believe they also run quite lean too so dont think it would be much better than your current map.

Doesn't seem right wanting money to redo a map that isn't right that he has put on, at the least he should be putting it back to stock with a refund. Not to sure how i would get on since mine was done 4 years ago, can jim tell this because the version of map, im not sure when exactly mine was done as the previous owner did it and im struggling to find the receipt.

Hopefully getting mine sorted today, rickrst has offered to do the remap and being in manchester this weekend im pretty close.

again thanks for all the input on this guys and il let you know how it goes.

Cheers matt.

have asked for it to be returned to stock a refund after being ask to pay for a custom map to fix my problem which he caused. Seem to not be getting replies now to any of my emails asking for a refund so thats a good start :(.

be good to see how you get on and do some logs again after the new remap.

told me he checked his files and could see car was done back then on it.

might be heading down south myself soon :).

just need to try and get a refund from star performance. ignoring all my emails going to phone on Monday morning when i get time and speak to Jim as getting ridiculous now. they know there is a problem because i don't want to pay for it to be fixed there not interested. Silly as they will lose a lot of business from me and i'm sure others as i will not be recommending them to anyone in Scotland after this.

Would i have a leg to stand on if he refuses i.e trading standards etc as paid for a product that is faulty and does not work the way it should do ???

Last edited:
You could change the details of this letter and try it. I have used it and worked great for me.

Good luck

Dear Mr X

I purchased an Xbox 360 games console from your store in December 2006, as a Christmas present for my family. On 24th January 2008 the DVD drive on the console started to make grinding and clicking noises and refused to read any discs at all.

I contacted your store on 25th January to ask what remedial action [your store] were prepared to take as, in my opinion, the console had broken down within an unreasonable timescale, ie just over 1 year after the date of purchase. I spoke to 2 different people in the store, a female and a male, who told me he was acting as manager in your absence. Both told me that your store has a 1-year warranty policy and as such, were not prepared to do anything about this. Even after quoting the Sale of Goods Act to both staff members they refused to help me and, when asked, the male member of staff was reluctant to give me contact details for you unless I first told him what the contents of this letter were going to be. I take it that you make all staff fully aware of the buyer’s rights under the Sale of Goods Act and that your store fully conforms to the Act.

I’m sure I do not need to remind you that, under the Sale of Goods Act (1979) (Amended), the seller (you) has responsibility to the buyer (me) for up to SIX YEARS after the date of sale of goods and the goods remain your responsibility during that time. In this case, the console has developed a fault, a well documented and common fault by all accounts, within 13 months of purchase. I believe that it is not reasonable to expect an item costing around £300 to have developed this particular fault within this timescale and, as my contract is with you, the retailer, and not the manufacturer, I fully expect the console to be repaired or replaced at no inconvenience to myself.

In the best interests of all concerned, I would expect this matter will be brought to a swift and agreeable conclusion. However, if [your store] continues to take the stance that it will refuse to do anything to sort this out, I will have no option but to instigate legal proceedings in order to get the matter resolved. I will also have no option but to report this matter to my local Trading Standards as you are trading illegally under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. But I’m sure that neither of these options will be necessary.

I would expect to hear from you within 14 days of receipt of this letter.

Yours sincerely

would this do, anything else i should maybe add in any help would be great guys thanks

Dear Mr Jim Curley

I purchased an ecu remap from your company star performance on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] November 2011. After doing some vag com logs on Friday 10[SUP]th[/SUP] February after receiving the vag com equipment the remap is running lean so the engine is in danger of being damaged due to the faulty remap.

I contacted yourself by email on Friday 10th February 2012 to ask what remedial action star performance were prepared to take as, in my opinion and other expert tuners, the remap is not functioning in a correct or safe way just 4 months after the date of purchase. I have tried to get the matter resolved my email but you are now ignoring my emails so I have no other option that to start sending letters in regards to the matter. I take it that you and all your staff are fully aware of the buyer’s rights under the Sale of Goods Act and that your business fully conforms to the Act.

I’m sure I do not need to remind you that, under the Sale of Goods Act (1979), the seller star performance has responsibility to the buyer myself James Rafferty for up to FiVE YEARS after the date of sale of goods and the goods remain your responsibility during that time. In this case, the remap has developed a fault or it has always had this fault since it was installed by your company, within 4 months of my purchase. I believe that it is not reasonable to expect an item costing around £300 to have developed this particular fault within this timescale and, as my contract is with you, the retailer, and not the manufacturer oct-tuning, I fully expect the remap to be repaired or replaced at no inconvenience to myself.

In the best interests of all concerned, I would expect this matter will be brought to a swift and agreeable conclusion. However, if star performance continues to take the stance that it will refuse to do anything to sort this out, I will have no option but to instigate legal proceedings in order to get the matter resolved. I will also have no option but to report this matter to my local Trading Standards as you are trading illegally under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. But I’m sure that neither of these options will be necessary.

I would expect to hear from you within 14 days of receipt of this letter.

Yours sincerely

Afternoon,Just got home and had a chance to see what the cars like during the trip back from manchester.Ricks done an awesome job, feels more lively through the fisrt few gears (i always thought it seem lacking with the old map) and just keeps on pulling throughout. We did some logs and the EGTs are now running a lot cooler, also seems to be getting better MPG but a little to early to tell how much exactly, at least im in the 30s instead of high 20s. Would definatly recommend paying him a visit.

Thanks again Rick.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm glad you're happy :) Your S3 is a really nice example, just sort out the brakes!

I've left my logs on my other laptop at home, so won't be able to post them till I get back later this week. EGT's hit 820 at the top of 4th though from memory, stayed in the 700's in 3rd :)

Rick

latest on my car is heading up this afternoon to get the remap switched back to my stock map and also getting a full refund for it. moving in the right direction now. had a couple of quotes for work and remap from some revo dealers up here and also a offer from rick to just waiting on parts quote from him then see what to do. :D

me to tuffy not looking forward to being back to stock power but be happy in the knowledge it is running safe again :D.

hopefully get it back to full power soon. ( alloys for sale anyone hint hint ) lol

no worries rick thanks for that

getting somewhere my end now which is one less stress

Last edited:
Been a interesting afternoon got a half day from work so headed up to star performance. After arriving had a good chat to Jim about problem and he explained a couple of things to me as well. done some vagcoms and also hooked up his innovate scanner in to the engine bay not just stuck up the exhaust. done some runs and came back with oct tuning map as being faulty and to lean 0.95. The car has now been flashed back to stock and i got a full refund as well. So car now running ok for standard.

From the start there has been a couple of mix ups my end and Jims one being my car and miller car logs getting mixed up through the post at the start, also when i was quoted for a custom remap i didn't think i was getting a refund for the oct tuning one and would have to pay again which was not the case. I'm glad i have spoken to Jim face to face and the issue is being resolved now.

Oct tuning will not have a leg to stand on as they didn't help with the issue when notified about it earlier on which i seen the email replies Jim received. With Jim seeing all the evidence himself of the logs today will be good back up for him as he's not happy with oct tuning at all about this.

I also got a breather pipe that had a split in it replaced for free when he checked over the whole car and noticed it was split. Spent most of the afternoon with me and the car. He has offered to do all the work and a custom remap at a very good price and if i drop the car off with him it will not leave there till he is a 100% happy with it. I'm in the process of getting all my parts through so can now make up my mind.