Brake discs how much/where from?

Markb

Reaction score
As subject how much am I looking at for some standard OEM front discs for my 98 T Sport? I take it they are 288mm as standard?

Do these seem a good price? Clicky

Before anyone says I can't justify purchasing the the Brembo's at the mo. Although they would go on my next car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif So I am just doing standard discs with uprated pads to give it a bit more bite and hopefully reduce brake dust.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

288mm (front) is the standard size for a 1.8T. German & Swedish and EBC both do similarly priced OEM replacements. But for not a lot more (£150 or so all round) you can have the nice EBC turbo grooved thingies and Greenstuff pads. No idea what the longevity's like but the stopping's better than OEM! And far less brake dust.

As a sidenote when I ordered my discs & pads from EBC via t'Internet they phoned me back within the hour to check my order and make sure they were sending out the right ones for my car, which was a nice touch.

And obviously you know you have to put new pads in when you get new discs... *spit spit spit*... still ~5mm on the Pagid's that came out of my calipers ... ho hum.

[ QUOTE ]
288mm (front) is the standard size for a 1.8T. German & Swedish and EBC both do similarly priced OEM replacements. But for not a lot more (£150 or so all round) you can have the nice EBC turbo grooved thingies and Greenstuff pads. No idea what the longevity's like but the stopping's better than OEM! And far less brake dust.

As a sidenote when I ordered my discs & pads from EBC via t'Internet they phoned me back within the hour to check my order and make sure they were sending out the right ones for my car, which was a nice touch.

And obviously you know you have to put new pads in when you get new discs... *spit spit spit*... still ~5mm on the Pagid's that came out of my calipers ... ho hum.

[/ QUOTE ]

The discs will make no difference to stopping power...will be down to the pad. I wouldnt go for greenstuff though... Use redstuff. They say that you should use greenstuff for 200bhp and below which i think is total B.S! power makes no difference, its still the same weight your trying to stop.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The discs will make no difference to stopping power...will be down to the pad. I wouldnt go for greenstuff though... Use redstuff. They say that you should use greenstuff for 200bhp and below which i think is total B.S! power makes no difference, its still the same weight your trying to stop.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree there Rich. That's why I have gone for the Red Stuffs and aren't bothered about the discs. Just using new OEM ones.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, the discs shouldn't make any difference to stopping but should cool better and thus be more resistant to fade... certainly not getting any fade at the mo but then again just had new pads & brake fluid change so could be down to that. And I'm not the last of the late brakers anyway! I had heard that OEM discs can wear quite quickly with Greenstuff or Redstuff pads so I figured EBC's own discs would be designed to cope. Time will tell.

The Greenstuff pads don't work that well cold... I presume Redstuff would be even worse?

Oh, also, Markb - there's lots of talk on uk-mkivs about 312mm brake upgrades using standard calipers and TT discs & carriers. Might be worth thinking about as a cheap (er) alternative to big brakes.