r32 anti roll bar on a S3

• Thread starter imported_fingermouse
  • Start date
I

imported_fingermouse

just fitted a R32 rear anti roll bar on my S3 and have got to say Im well chuffed with the results. The car seems to turn in better and hold the road through the corners a lot better. Bargin mod as i got it second hand.
Took about 1 hr to fit but if you had done one before then im sure it could be done in 30 mins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

cool. does it now understeer as much then? what did you need to take apart to enable you to fit the new one?

i was thinking about this myself

are you on standard suspension apart from this ARB?

[ QUOTE ]
just fitted a R32 <font color="red"> </font> anti roll bar on my S3 and have got to say Im well chuffed with the results. The car seems to turn in better and hold the road through the corners a lot better. Bargin mod as i got it second hand.
Took about 1 hr to fit but if you had done one before then im sure it could be done in 30 mins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol the rear
needed to drop the two rear exshaust braskets and the rear heat shield, took off the drivers side rear wheel and passed the ARB over the rear disc (ns its easyer if you take the brackets off the ARB) Two bolts at either end to the small bars, 17mm inside 16mm socket on the nut IRC, 4 10mm socket nuts on the heat shield, forgot the rest and beer is calling.

Its does seem to have reduced the understear, mainly the car feels better on tight/ fast corners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I figured it was the rear (Based on that 1 hr comment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) but thought I'd ask anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Refresh my memory... the R32 Rear is what?? 19mm??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

rears are £85 inc bushes and fronts are £65 in bushes from the dealer, do the front next fingerbum, bet you cant do that on your drive

I've been looking into this mod and thought that the Golf V6 4motion rear ARB was more suited to the S3 and matches the standard front ARB one more as a cheap handling mod - anyone got any thoughts on this?

yeah i looked back at an old post from glen (ess three) and the S3 standard ARBs are 19f and 15r

4motion is 16m only 1 m bigger
r32 is 19m 4mm bigger

question is.... is 19mm front and back a good idea???

I got a 20mm uprated A3 Front to be fitted when I (FINALLY) get my new suspension fitted. I asked Glen what he thought about me getting the 19mm R32 rear fitted to balance it out and IIRC he thought that 20 / 19 would give too much bias to the rear. So for y'all fitting the R32 rear and leaving the front std, I think you may find (If I'm recalling this right) that by tightening the rear up so much, you'll actually reintroduce understeer by leaving the front loose in comparison /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Of course, it'd be best if Glen would pop in and let us know how it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i did the rear only first, and the only bad area is its a bit twitchy at around 130mph, other than that its a must do mod, i fitted the front arb after a couple of months and it sorted the twitchy bit out. very very recomended mod, ps it doesnt make it oversteer like mad i drove mine like a nutter for the first two weeks purposly trying to lose the back and it takes some doing.

[ QUOTE ]
i did the rear only first, and the only bad area is its a bit twitchy at around 130mph, other than that its a must do mod, i fitted the front arb after a couple of months and it sorted the twitchy bit out. very very recomended mod, ps it doesnt make it oversteer like mad i drove mine like a nutter for the first two weeks purposly trying to lose the back and it takes some doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

just remember this is on a TT not a S3 if your wondering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif