ECU Removal - Help!!

silverswish

Black 1997 Audi A3 1.6
Reaction score
Just removed the cowl cover and the front wipers to access the ECU, the haynes manual is telling me that disconnecting the wiring of the ECU will mean that I need to get it re coded by an audi dealer when I connect it again. Would I really need to get the ECU re coded?

When trying to start the car, it wont fire and for some random reason the oil light and temperature light seem to start flashing, would this indicate a bad ECU?

I'm sure you guys know what your talking about :icon_thumright:

Cheers,

Chris.

i know you dont need to get the ecu coded, unless your replacing it with another one, as for flashing lights, i will leave that for some one else as i dont know lol

yes it can be disconnect with no problems with coding.

why are you removing the ecu? Have you had the car scanned for faults? not firing can be a few things, you really need to get it scanned.

I heard that some of the connections from the ecu can get corroded because it is located just under the cowl covers so I'm going to remove the ECU squirt in some switch cleaner. I haven't had the change to get it scanned for fault codes because I can't get it off the drive to Audi.

Also, why would the haynes manual tell to me get it 're-instated' once I have reinstalled it?

Yeah if the contacts have signs of corrosion use contact cleaner...

Iv disconnected my s3 ecu a couple times and it's always worked afterwards.

I would get the rac or aa out if you don't have the means to sort it out...