Tesco 99 Octane Fuel

Nope tend to get my fuel at Sainsbury's whose super unleaded is 97 RON.

Given that most remaps recommend 98 RON would I have to find an alternative to my regular super unleaded if I was to pay a visit to AMD?

Never heard of it either.

Optimax everytime for my car(s).

Do you ever see the Evo mag test of optimax years ago - it really does keep the engine clean. Takes about 3 months of constant usage to see the difference though.

Apparently it is true.

Clicky

Tesco say:

The higher octane fuel will be rolled out across their network to replace LRP as soon as their stocks of LRP run out.

They have to go through a tank cleaning process first before they can use them for the newer fuel. It's a question of keeping a beady eye out at your larger Tesco outlets and you should soon find this out on the forecourts.

i'll keep watching that, i do like cleaning properties of optimax i can hardly hear the engine when i use it.

[ QUOTE ]
i'll keep watching that, i do like cleaning properties of optimax i can hardly hear the engine when i use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I hear when I use it is the petrol pump attendant rubbing his hands together....

Pump Number 9 - optimax, and here is my left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif in part payment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

i know dude i like it but i can't run it on the daily
i want to see where the price is with tesco cos i actually got more mpg from higher octane

I read on another forum that it's about 5p a litre cheaper than optimax.

[ QUOTE ]
so whats the difference between this 99 octane and the `old 4 star` which was 99 octane, apart from the obvious progression in detergents ?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's unleaded?!

yes, sorry i should have said about the removal of the lead. i suppose what i was getting at was how come it has taken so long to produce a replacement for 4 star ?

God that will be pretty good just get a Tesco clubcard and should at least get some useful points i think at shell the points are almost worthless!!

At least the tesco ones can be used for shopping, petrol etc.

Think i will start getting the tesco stuff instead of Optimax.

Taken from the oclockers forum:

99 OCTANE STORES:
Beford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham Kent
Lakeside Extra
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst Extra
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage Extra
Winchester

I'll fill up in Cheshunt on Tuesday and see what it's like

So will this be ok for us with APR remaps to use instead of 98RON optimax?

Iv'e the optimax program on my ecu so will this function correctly with 99RON??

MancheS3er:

I don't believe super unleaded 97 RON has any advantages whatsoever over regular 95. apart from being more expensive!

I thought it had to be 98 RON like Optimax that made a difference?

[ QUOTE ]
Taken from the oclockers forum:

99 OCTANE STORES:
Beford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham Kent
Lakeside Extra
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst Extra
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage Extra
Winchester

I'll fill up in Cheshunt on Tuesday and see what it's like

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this 99RON fuel restricted to the South East of England or do they brave it enough to come up North and deliver some?

If it is any cheaper than Optimax then I'll be buying; it's killing me to run on constant OPtimax and found myself on Friday using normal since I have a long motorway journey to do today... I feel ashamed to do it to my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

In my experiance optimax isnt that much dearer than normal unleaded, i definatly get more MPG with optimax and on a long journey averaging 80ish MPH i can get 400 miles to the tank easy. So when you balance everything out your not that much extra using Optimax.

Question is will this 99 octane have the same additives that optimax has?

hope they brave the north i'll do as said and get a club card,

[ QUOTE ]
In my experiance optimax isnt that much dearer than normal unleaded, i definatly get more MPG with optimax and on a long journey averaging 80ish MPH i can get 400 miles to the tank easy. So when you balance everything out your not that much extra using Optimax.

Question is will this 99 octane have the same additives that optimax has?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm coming up to Wishaw / Glasgow today, let us know which Shell station to use as I'm finding Optimax on average 6p per litre more expensive then unleaded and it does make a difference. Max. I've had out of a tank is 370 before I chickened out on the fuel warning light and filled up before running out! Nothing more embarrassing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

My friend has just filled up with a tank off 99RON Tesco fuel, it's 7p cheaper per litre than Optimax, so hopefully he'll keep me informed.

So if I have a remap I shouldn't use 95 standard unleaded? Been using this on long journeys and optimax for weekends.

What's the point in paying for tuning (resumably you want optimal performance?) and then putting low octane fuel in?

Put in high octane and you'll have the choice of more performance or better mpg.

i understand

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luckily theres a Tesco across the road from work, lets hope this fuel gets up to birmingham!

OK, here's the feed back from my mate, he drives a Vectra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif SRi that's had a turbo bolted on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Did a round trip to visit Cvan and various places around the west coast today, what can I say about the new fuel, well at first impression nothing in it compared to Optimax. But after a few hot accelerations the heat soak did not affect the performance at all, whereas perviously with Optimax I could certainly notice a drop in pull in the mid-range as the inlet temperature crept up (obviously Tesco's Finest 99 rocket fuel has the extra ability to supress pinking). Maybe it's all psychilogical and in my mind I don't really know, but certainly throughout the journey it seemed to pull just a little harder in the mid-range especially in the higher gears.

However what I did notice (and this is not exaggerated) was that my fuel consumption was massively better, I covered a total 310miles today with about 2 gallons left! (petrol light has'nt come on yet) so I should be getting a total of at least 360miles to a tank of 60 litres! Wow! and that was travelling at around 80mph with 80% motorway cruising 20% urban (and the occassional full-throttle blast). Before I could only get around 300miles and the light will just about come on, even Ang could'nt beleive it, nevertheless I will certainly be using this stuff from now-on just for this reason alone.

Hope it soon available for you peeps up in the Midlands

Wil

[/ QUOTE ]

That crawley tescos is a stones throw away from where I work. I'll fill up there when I'm on empty so I can get a full tank.

I'll let you know what I think.

you can never trust the supermarktes to deliver the constant performance that you get from a true oil company like shell with optimax.
even during testing optimax remained around the 98 mark with other SULs out there dipping under 97 in some cases.
BP ultimate is not what it is cradked up to be.
supermarket fuel is cheap for a reason...you pays your way and all that!

let's see what the tests delivers in terms of octane rating but I would be weary...especially if on a mapped car.

[ QUOTE ]
you can never trust the supermarktes to deliver the constant performance that you get from a true oil company like shell with optimax.
even during testing optimax remained around the 98 mark with other SULs out there dipping under 97 in some cases.
BP ultimate is not what it is cradked up to be.
supermarket fuel is cheap for a reason...you pays your way and all that!

let's see what the tests delivers in terms of octane rating but I would be weary...especially if on a mapped car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also be fairly sceptical, heard quite a few scary stories about supermarket fuel. And RON is not the be all and end all, there are various other things to take into account (not that I'm an expert on what they are!). I will be interested to see what the opinions of of people that have tried both back to back (a few consecutive tank fulls of each), and there should be some sort of definitive test. God knows why we haven't had this already, it would make so much more sense and help people choose what fuel to use rather than just going by price and/or RON rating. IMO the Oil companies need to do a lot more to educate it's customers on why to use the more expensive fuels (over cheaper fuels, or competitors). Shell is the only company that tends to push it's premium fuel, but even then saying it's recommended by Ferrari is not enough. More people would buy it then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

everyone is talking about optimax, well i dont have a shell station near me, i have to settle for bp ultimate 97ron, i do get v-good mpg's 400+ miles to a tank, whats peoples opinion on this 97 octane fuel?

I'm afraid down in the SE, Gillingham, Kent the price of the 99Ron is the same price as Optimax. Dont feel any different to optimax so shall stick to Optimax.

[ QUOTE ]
If the RX7 is the same as the RX8, it makes no difference using 98 ron over 95 ron due to the rotary engine.
Get your mate to check the handbook.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends whether the RX7 was designed for the UK or Jap market. Japanese fuel is higher octane than UK therefore it is advised to run all grey imports on higher quality fuel

at the end of the day its consistency if octane in the tesco fluctuates 99-97 i wouldn't be bothered as long as it doesn't contain crap like water in most supermarket fuels

keep it monitored and it could be a good choice.

shell we pay for consistency, even then if it is a remote station the petrol degrades over time.

[ QUOTE ]
i'll pass your rx7 comments on, but i think he's likely to trust the mazdarotaryclub over audi-sport... the fool!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, point taken! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"MancheS3er:

I don't believe super unleaded 97 RON has any advantages whatsoever over regular 95. apart from being more expensive!

I thought it had to be 98 RON like Optimax that made a difference? "

er dude you ever had your car on a dyno recently to look at the diff the 2 petrols make?
2 points over such as 97 ron can make a huge diff as you can advance the timings and increases cooling.
less chance of DET with 97 ron so you can run more boost and power.
so it makes a huge difference in fact!!
havign a knock meter really helps as well.

worth a look in

shresh im in north london, barnet.
considering trying this tesco fuel if sold near me but as soe1 said befor, i dont really trust there fuels..