Badger5AH Fabrications
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By aragorn
  • 1 Post By Grazam

Thread: Got my driving test next thursday

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    42

    Got my driving test next thursday

    Hey ive only just started my legal driving, passed my theory first time the other day. i have had like 6 lessons probably have about 12 by the time my test comes changed instructor, because my first one was like yeah if it comes to it we will book you for some intensive days. i was like nah mate. rung up and changed instructor had a double lesson today and she was like book your test for next week. Any recently passed and got any tips for me.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    ANDYMC_TQS's Avatar
    FIRE UP THE QUATTRO

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    COLCHESTER
    Posts
    43
    passed 8 years ago but mirrors were key then and probably still are

  4. #3
    Sandra's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    15,428
    Lol, im just glad i passed mine a long time ago. Good luck.

  5. #4
    Paradox1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    SoUf EaSt,Uk
    Posts
    1,829
    good luck mate,don't be overconfident, just go and do yo thang!

  6. #5
    a3tdi2001's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    437
    It's been a while for me, but I do remember having bother with my hand signals I'm sure you'll be fine.

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    42
    cheers guys cant wait, seriously my car is sat there and im itching my friend drove it back for me and was telling me how nice it was to drive

  8. #7
    liquids3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    933
    Id just say relax and just be aware of what's around you (mirrors),and do the rest how you know!

    Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

    Its never finished!

  9. #8
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,346
    I resat my test recently and was amazed at some of the things i'd been told when first i sat my test 10 years ago that simply werent true.

    Back when i was 17 my instructor had insisted that you couldnt cross your arms and had to sit there feeding the wheel round with your hands at 10-2, which it turns out is a load of ********.

    I'll happily admit that when i first sat my test i couldnt really drive. Sure i could propel the car along pretty well, and thaught i was the dogs dangly bits, but in real terms, my awareness and whatnot were nowhere near where they end up after you've got a few years under your belt.

    The biggest thing the instructor pulled me up on this time round was mirrors. They want to really see you checking them at specific times. Slowing down for a junction or roundabout is fairly obvious, but things like changing speed limits should also have you checking the mirrors BEFORE braking/accellerating to the new speed. Also, when pulling out of a junction, they again want to see a mirror check as you straighten up on the new road, just incase somethings coming that you havent seen. Similarly when driving along, you should be checking the rear view every now and then, to ensure your aware of whats happening behind you. You should get into the habit of doing this, and continue doing it, rather than just ticking the boxes for the examiner, as it will make you a much better driver in general.

    90% of driving is awareness of your surroundings, physically driving the car is such a small part, but new drivers tend to spend a lot more than that thinking about actually driving the car, which makes paying the required attention to the road that extra bit difficult. the number of drivers i find on the road that simply have no clue whats going on around them is unreal. They're simply fixated looking out the windscreen and completely ignore everything else.

    Also, stay calm! Even if you think you've ****ed it up. Back when i sat my original test, i sort of pulled out on a guy at a roundabout. The guy came flying round at ludicrous speed, as i'd already started moving off, and i kept going. I thaught i'd failed, and it made me panic, which resulted in me stalling out at the next junction. After i'd completed the test, sure i was going to fail, the examiner said i'd passed, and he'd only given me a minor for the roundabout incident because in his eyes the only thing i'd done wrong was change gear instead of giving it an extra bit of poke in 1st to get out the guys way.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  10. #9
    liquids3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I resat my test recently and was amazed at some of the things i'd been told when first i sat my test 10 years ago that simply werent true.

    Back when i was 17 my instructor had insisted that you couldnt cross your arms and had to sit there feeding the wheel round with your hands at 10-2, which it turns out is a load of ********.

    I'll happily admit that when i first sat my test i couldnt really drive. Sure i could propel the car along pretty well, and thaught i was the dogs dangly bits, but in real terms, my awareness and whatnot were nowhere near where they end up after you've got a few years under your belt.

    The biggest thing the instructor pulled me up on this time round was mirrors. They want to really see you checking them at specific times. Slowing down for a junction or roundabout is fairly obvious, but things like changing speed limits should also have you checking the mirrors BEFORE braking/accellerating to the new speed. Also, when pulling out of a junction, they again want to see a mirror check as you straighten up on the new road, just incase somethings coming that you havent seen. Similarly when driving along, you should be checking the rear view every now and then, to ensure your aware of whats happening behind you. You should get into the habit of doing this, and continue doing it, rather than just ticking the boxes for the examiner, as it will make you a much better driver in general.

    90% of driving is awareness of your surroundings, physically driving the car is such a small part, but new drivers tend to spend a lot more than that thinking about actually driving the car, which makes paying the required attention to the road that extra bit difficult. the number of drivers i find on the road that simply have no clue whats going on around them is unreal. They're simply fixated looking out the windscreen and completely ignore everything else.

    Also, stay calm! Even if you think you've ****ed it up. Back when i sat my original test, i sort of pulled out on a guy at a roundabout. The guy came flying round at ludicrous speed, as i'd already started moving off, and i kept going. I thaught i'd failed, and it made me panic, which resulted in me stalling out at the next junction. After i'd completed the test, sure i was going to fail, the examiner said i'd passed, and he'd only given me a minor for the roundabout incident because in his eyes the only thing i'd done wrong was change gear instead of giving it an extra bit of poke in 1st to get out the guys way.
    how come you resat your test?

    Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

    Its never finished!

  11. #10
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    15,346
    Short version is i got banned for driving like a knob.
    liquids3 and Gareth a3 like this.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Short version is i got banned for driving like a knob.
    What did you do?

  13. #12
    S4 Muzza's Avatar
    oww! my giant blue head!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    306
    i'd say just keep calm, even if you make a mistake! i made a couple of schoolboy errors in my test including the dreaded stall but still managed a pass first time with 5 minors
    Audi S4 (B5) - JUST ARRIVED :D
    Audi S3 (8L) - GONE
    Audi A3 SE (8L) - GONE

  14. #13
    4th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    760
    get some sleep and have breakfast and good luck
    what car is that and how much is the insurance?

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    kent
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzy View Post
    get some sleep and have breakfast and good luck
    what car is that and how much is the insurance?
    im guessing your asking me what car it is its 1.6 sport

  16. #15
    MURRAYS444's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    789
    Good Luck and I hope the weather is good for you!

  17. #16
    4th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    760
    my gf daughter is just taking her test and the quote for 1.6 pug is £3000 +

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sturminster Newton
    Posts
    190
    passed my test 1st time 3 years ago with 6 minors, 4 of those were for not indicating after completing my manouvers (in my defence the road was empty and had been but its more about he wants to see that you can do it and are capable) 1 was for not looking in the rear view mirror when slowing for a traffic light (rookie) and the last one was for being in 5th gear in a 30 zone i thought yeah save some fuel but they don't see it like that they see it as though you don't have control over the speed of the car (could run away down hill or you won't be able to react to someone where the only option is to accelerate)

    Check ALL the mirrors all the time.
    Watch your speed into and out of zone changes
    drive as though you were taking your nan into town smooth and steady

    You will be fine.

    Enjoy it it may only happen once :P
    liquids3 likes this.
    A3 1.8TQS Minge blue
    Mods: AP coilovers, Strut Brace, Merc wheels, S3 brakes, hopefully going BT soon

  19. #18
    gary3306's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    950
    My biggest advice is; once you've passed, remember you're still a learner Too many youngsters see the sentance "I'm pleased to tell you you have passed...." as an endorsement that they are now professional drivers. In reality you have attained the basic minimum of what the examiner wants to see you demonstrate. That you are competent, safe and road aware.

    That said, relax and remember that the examiner won't ask you to do anything you haven't covered in your lessons. Good luck.
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

    Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.




  20. #19
    gary3306's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    ........Back when i was 17 my instructor had insisted that you couldnt cross your arms and had to sit there feeding the wheel round with your hands at 10-2, which it turns out is a load of ********........
    Absolutely. You try controlling a Vauxhall Senator on a skid pan using the feed method

    The Police have never taught that method as it is just not fast enough when things go wrong.
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

    Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.




  21. #20
    A3AH's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    365
    Good luck mate.

    Mirror signal maneuver. Just remember make sure he/she knows your looking constantly even if you didnt look properly. Take your time and remember what you've learnt.

    Be confident, if your ready you should feel ready to go and get it passed. Positive mental attitude.
    Last edited by A3AH; 8th February 2012 at 07:44.

  22. #21
    A3AH's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by gary3306 View Post
    Absolutely. You try controlling a Vauxhall Senator on a skid pan using the feed method

    The Police have never taught that method as it is just not fast enough when things go wrong.
    Im pretty sure its a steering 'wheel' as in a circular object. Why on earth you should feed it like an idiot is beyond me. I personally think its dangerous unless your doing 15mph, because you need 4 hours advanced notice to perform the feed method correctly.

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    72
    In the last 3 years i've done my Cat B, Cat C and Cat H licenses and about 4 or 5 other vehicle courses and in each one mirrors were the biggest point from my instuctors, Like other blokes have said, Make sure you check them as and when you should and dont panick even if you think you've ****ed up, It probably isnt as bad as you might think, Good luck!

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzy View Post
    my gf daughter is just taking her test and the quote for 1.6 pug is £3000 +
    definitely not looking properly then. i'm paying 1800 on a 1.6 a3 on MY insurance (and I'm 18)

    I was very nervous before doing my test (passed about 4-5 months ago) and I ended up passing first time with 1 minor lol.
    So more than likely you're worrying about things you KNOW.
    Tips for passing, stay calm and MIRRORS MIRRORS MIRROS lol. can't stress that enough. And take your time, don't try to rush anything. If you are doing a maneuver and cars are waiting, let them wait. It's not worth rushing and more than likely failing it than doing it properly and keeping a cool head.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by N4THW; 8th February 2012 at 13:50.



  25. #24
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,608
    I'd certainly agree with what other people have said on this thread; you only start to learn how to drive once you have passed your test.

    I passed my test 1st time within 3 months of turning 17 and thought I was the business, my instructor even let me do a wheel spin on the way driving back home, haha (I wasn't even insured now that I'd passed but she was the coolest instructor you'd ever meet).

    To cut a long story short I had a few accidents in the first 2 months of passing my test. In one incident I scraped the side of the car along a fence pole while trying to negotiate a country lane. Another accident was leaving McDonalds, I put my foot down and turned right but I was going way to fast which resulted in understeer and smashing into a kerb, snapping the wishbone. I then topped off my terrible start to driving by knocking a kid over as he crossed the road... entirely his fault as he ran across the road on a blind corner on a green light.. but may have been something I could have avoided had I been more experienced.

    All of the above was done in my Dads 530d -- I don't know who was more stupid, me for most likely thinking I was clever, or my Dad for even letting me get insured on it at 17, lol. All that happened from August to November '06, which I then got my own car and haven't had an accident since!

    Seriously though, as said previously, good driving isn't just the physical ability of having good clutch work or negotiating tight situations its the awareness of your surroundings and taking things into account, spotting a hazard from afar etc...

    Safe driving

    Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro


  26. #25
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,156
    Best of luck passing your test mate.

    I've done a few driver training sessions since passing my test, all of them through choice as I think you can easily get into bad habits. Key learnings I took from these sessions were:

    1) When you start out on a journey assume every driver you're going to encounter is an idiot and chances are you'll be at least half right

    2) Always be prepared for the unexpected - e.g. pay attention to the job in hand / not scratching your arse etc.

    3) Read the road ahead as far as your experience allows, not just 10-20ft in front of your bonnet

    4) Always use the left lane if you intend to use the exit straight ahead at roundabouts (why I failed my first test; I didn't, repeatedly!)

    5) On motorways stay in the left most lane UNLESS OVERTAKING! (Please for the sake of us all!!!)

    6) To be safe on country roads where visibility is poor, use things like overhead cables to read where obstructed junctions or driveways could be located and be ready to brake at those points if required

    7) Enjoy it! A great car on a good road is like a tonic in a world of health and safety mamby pamby bull****!
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 13th November 2010, 22:11
  2. The New Driving Test
    By TomR in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th October 2010, 13:17
  3. How did she get to take a driving test??
    By alijames in forum Jokes, Games & Humour
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd February 2009, 22:39
  4. Driving Test!
    By Rallyman in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 19th October 2005, 18:44
  5. driving test
    By Masterm8fo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th October 2005, 19:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO