Fast ticking/metalic ratchet sounding noise when wheel spinning in snow

Benjiman46

R-Tech Terrorist
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a bit worried about a noise my 2000 S3 Quattro 8L is making when it wheel spins in snow.

The sound comes from the drivers side at the front, and kind of sounds like ABS, except its when the car wheel spins in snow without pressing the brake.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this same noise? I'm hoping its not the gearbox or haldex or some other expensive crap lol

I have only noticed this in the snow as it's very hard to wheel spin otherwise.

Any ideas will help

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:
Hi all, I am a bit worried about a noise my 2000 S3 Quattro 8L is making when it wheel spins in snow.

The sound comes from the drivers side at the front, and kind of sounds like ABS, except its when the car wheel spins in snow without pressing the brake.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this same noise? I'm hoping its not the gearbox or haldex or some other expensive crap lol

I have only noticed this in the snow as it's very hard to wheel spin otherwise.

Any ideas will help

Cheers
Ben

Bearings

Hi mate, I have an a3 1.8t Quattro an have been getting the same problem when having a bit of fun in the snow. Doubt it's bearings mate ud hear it while driving normally aswell. I seem to think it maybe the engine mounts in specific the rear one gonna have a look at it at the weekend. Do u get the same noise when you bring the clutch back up after changing gear as I do. Let me know if you find any more info out,
Cheers.

dual mass flywheel!
problamatic area that creates all sorts of issues!
this includes a clutch also to fix if indeed it is causing the noise issue!

Hi mate, I have an a3 1.8t Quattro an have been getting the same problem when having a bit of fun in the snow. Doubt it's bearings mate ud hear it while driving normally aswell. I seem to think it maybe the engine mounts in specific the rear one gonna have a look at it at the weekend. Do u get the same noise when you bring the clutch back up after changing gear as I do. Let me know if you find any more info out,
Cheers.

Hmmm I dont think it's engine mounts... I cant hear it at any other time other than when it spins up in the snow. Any gear, any revs, it's more or less the exact same noise you get when the ABS cuts in, similar vibration too. I will let you know mate ;)

dual mass flywheel!
problamatic area that creates all sorts of issues!
this includes a clutch also to fix if indeed it is causing the noise issue!

Ohhhh no it's definitely not that. Wrong side of the car for a start lol

What bearings do you mean? Wheel bearings? Like Keiran said, I would be able to hear it all the time when driving. Under normal conditions, I cant hear anything. It is only the "ABS-like" sound when wheel spinning on snow.

Cheers

ABS/TC...basically its the safety "brain" going nuts because it doesn't know what is going on

Oh cool :) fair enough :) Do you work for Audi or something? lol Thanks for your advice mate :)

Nah, just I've had the very same, and wondered the same thing! Always nice to know there's nothing to worry about :)