Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

Any advice on my possible suspension spacer solution paul? :)

I assume you haven't got the helper springs?

Spacers could work but not sure about the hardness... I'll point Bill in the direction of your thread tomorrow as he is the engineer and will know of this shizzle but seeing as most coil overs come with helper springs and alloy spacers I can't see an issue tbh

<tuffty/>

Cheers matey ;)

I couldn't really see to much problem as spring would still compress a reasonable amount when lowered but will certinally reduce overall travel but definately look forward to opinions from people with a bit more know how ;)

I do love a good bit of TIG welding :)

Yeah just wish could of done it myself and saved a few ££ ad have been offered mills and various welders before, but maybe once I make the move from a flat to a house I can get a garage/workshop and start collecting some bigger equipment and tools....,wahoo ;)

That's the downer about where I am. No space for a workshop or anything :( I have hardly any tools compared to back in the UK. I'm up at 7am hungover about to start fitting the intercooler. I imagine it'll go wrong one way or another!

Well I'm sure you will be fine mate although I do envy you other there at times ;)

I have to say though although I could probably do a lot of this work that friends and other do for me I certinally would need to practice and refresh on it but definately couldn't do it to the standard they have so a big thanks to everyone that has helped me along my way :)

Oil cooler bits recieved over the lst few days :)

150a63a3.jpg

Only thing is i cant see how the stat will work as i understand that there must be some kind of sprung piston but that must shut as oil heats up forcing it to pass through the cooler, but the thing is whilst its attempting to warm the oil up it can still go through the cooler as well a bypassing?

Does it just really on some of the flow going to the cooler or just the oil flowing in the less restrictive route?

You can just about see there is a piston (copper colour) inside the alloy insert

5724af02.jpg

dbfe554d.jpg

Egay seemed to b cheapest i did search a little but wasn't finding anything to competitive price wise

I didn't buy a complete kit as my friend will knock me some pipes up when he comes to do my turbo lines (beer tokens) ;)

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

It could be a possibility that when he does mine to take notes of lengths if you cant find anyone near yourself :beerchug:

That's what I found Stace. Oil could still flow through, albeit at a slower rate. Still, this would mean oil would take longer to heat up.

Upon looking at it again in theory whilst the piston is open then oil should just take the easiest route which by flowing through this area it will then mean that it has equal pressure on both sides of the sandwich plate so shouldn't flow through the cooler but realistically some is going to flow through the cooler?

Time will tell will wait and see :)

Been a busy week courior wise and completely destructive to the bank account but think i finally have got pretty much everything exept injectors for the turbo swap

Some lovely billet and inlet items that have arrived with a Big thanks to Bill at Badger 5 (although not all are for me) ;)

8d90baa5.jpg

Also a big thanks to member IH786 who kindly sold me his AGN cam cover after the missunderstanding with an ebay member which i also have to applaud as they issued me a full refund and told me to keep the AGN engine cover so if anyones interested as ive now got an engine cover which is of no use to me then pm me

ba946ff1.jpg

Wanted something a little different and think it looks smart

Have always like the look of them since seen a photo of bills with a smooth cover and am probably going to get some discs/spacer rings tigged on top that I have been turning at work for tfsi coils :)

That's pretty cool then! Sort the other one for TFSI coils for me then ;)

What about the coilpack wiring though, not much protection for it I guess?

That's pretty cool then! Sort the other one for TFSI coils for me then ;)

What about the coilpack wiring though, not much protection for it I guess?

Will have oem heatshield around the wiring but may make a little heatshield to bolt on the back or some other form of shielding :)

Am hopefully spnding a bit of time on the inlet mani today porting the runners so they've got a reasonable radius on the edges but a friend has suggested i port the throttle body to match the plenum inlet but i'm rather unsure about the subject???

Couple of photos so can see what im on about :)

ede1b06d.jpg

f98566f3.jpg

Less of an issue on forced induction tbh... you could blend the adaptor in if you want to but remember that the transition on every silicon/alloy pipe connection is not exactly smooth either :)

<tuffty/>

Cheers Paul if it was an adaptor i wouldn't be so cautious but although it really hard to tell but its actually the throttle body thats why i'm concerned about it and was worried it would effect idle and other things if i attack it with the dremel :sadlike:

7d383bc5.jpg

But thanks for the advice i think i will leave it be as didn't think it was that crutial ;)

tbh mate I would leave it as I really can't see it being an issue at all...

<tuffty/>

Well was quietly hoping to fit the mani today but injector seats i've bought are wrong for these runners :(

I should have realised earlier really as it was pointed out in a thread at an earlier date which i was involved in that theres a couple of sizes, so have now taken a gamble and ordered the ones Danny must have ordered as mine for the bam inlet are a bigger seat with larger thread diameter

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/152990-injector-seat-part-numbers-tool.html

Any hows heres a couple of pics (not perfect but it'll do) ;)

63a4e1d3.jpg

e658f947.jpg

660ca7c2.jpg

3d1522a9.jpg

08b590e2.jpg

All being well will hopefully be fitting one evening next week and will see if it makes any difference at its current of state of tune on the liquid?

Well was quietly hoping to fit the mani today but injector seats i've bought are wrong for these runners :(

I should have realised earlier really as it was pointed out in a thread at an earlier date which i was involved in that theres a couple of sizes, so have now taken a gamble and ordered the ones Danny must have ordered as mine for the bam inlet are a bigger seat with larger thread diameter

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/152990-injector-seat-part-numbers-tool.html

Any hows heres a couple of pics (not perfect but it'll do) ;)

63a4e1d3.jpg

e658f947.jpg

660ca7c2.jpg

3d1522a9.jpg

08b590e2.jpg

All being well will hopefully be fitting one evening next week and will see if it makes any difference at its current of state of tune on the liquid?

I'm starting fitting the OBX one tonight, so looking forward to seeing what that fits like.

That Mani is looking good dude :)

Cheers mate am really itching to fit it but wont be long now :)

With yours are you going to swing by bills at some point and see what gains you get with just the inlet mani before cranking that boost up?

I'm sure your going to make some good figures woth your next "slight tweak" you got an expected final state of tune?

Looks good mate.

You need the part numbers for the seats i ordered stace?

Hopefully it was the same as the number i posted for you with a C on the end rather than H as have already ordered some?? ;)

Haha fingers crossed mate.

Good luck getting the old ones out, cost me £16 for a 20mm hex bit from ebay :(, proper rip off lol.

Already got the old ones out of the Aeb runners used for the new Mani and not planning on removing the ones from the current Mani on the car so hopefully will be alright?

I was hoping that yours would be the smaller ones with the 17mm key as think that's what I need.....I think??

Nope, 20mm mate, the wheel bolt trick andrew said doesnt work.

Doh think I may have ordered the wrong one for my Mani?

Has anyone got the part no for the one that takes the 17mm key? With s3 sized injectors?

Injector seats for the AEB mani are different to the S3 ones... AEB are smaller (hence 17mm) but they are not designed for the short S3 style injectors... the AMK/BAM seats have a larger thread and larger hex so that the smaller injectors can sink in ok...

If you are using the longer injectors (like my 630's) then its less of an issue...

<tuffty/>

So is it Aeb ones that i need to be ordering and will be using seimens deka injectors so think should be ok on height clearance?

Fuel rail spacers probably still needed??

Cheers

So is it Aeb ones that i need to be ordering and will be using seimens deka injectors so think should be ok on height clearance?

Fuel rail spacers probably still needed??

Cheers

Yeah, AEB ones are what you need... I don't know about spacers but will try and offer mine up at the weekend and see whats what...

I did plan to look into getting a bung fabricated to lift the injector up a bit and see if I could smooth out the small bump in the runner to open them up a bit but not had the time as yet to look... if I make a start on it I will want to build the whole mani and not got the spare cash atm (even though Bill has the plenums sat on the shelf)...

Must get one made up soon for testing anyway... and you posting pics is making me 'well jell'... :)

<tuffty/>

Well have now ordered the AEB ones but have got a set for BAM going and possibly another set ordered for an APY that I might get stuck with :(

You should crack on with the project I'm sure bill will do you some kind of finance deal on the plenums lol

Will also be good to see before and after dyno gains ;)

...You should crack on with the project I'm sure bill will do you some kind of finance deal on the plenums lol

I sold my soul to Bill a long time ago LOL...

...Will also be good to see before and after dyno gains ;)

Yeah, thats the plan... however I want to get my mapping where I want it first which is progressing but need to spend some time on the dyno really before I can make any further progress and I can't do that until I have changed my dodgy coolant hose... and I can't do that until Forge have them in... booo :(

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
It's always a visious knock on effect ;)

Do look forward to seeing your progress mate

Is mapping something of a future venture or just a hobby?

It's always a visious knock on effect ;)

Do look forward to seeing your progress mate

Is mapping something of a future venture or just a hobby?

Its a hobby really... I enjoy my day job too much to give it all up just yet :)

It does put me in a position to help Bill out a bit more which is nice...

<tuffty/>

Its a hobby really... I enjoy my day job too much to give it all up just yet :)

It does put me in a position to help Bill out a bit more which is nice...

<tuffty/>

Sounds good mate would love to be able to have a play with mine but software isn't exactly my strong point, I did wonder whether you was possibly going to be a badger 5 team member full time ;)

Bill any chance on you opinion on putting a 10-15 mm spacer between the coil and km nut my coilovers to give me more adjustment?