Stacey's Belated Yo Yo Build Thread

I get this on an OEM downpipe/turbo setup. I think it's called driving it like it's meant to be driven ;)

I've never really noticed it before but wouldn't be supprised if it is possible considering how things get down there :)

I actually ran for 6 months without the main front tunnel heatshield. One of the most uncomfortable things imaginable.

Tunnel used to get so hot it'd burn your leg!

That must have been mad...was you that desperate to get the weight down lol :p

Well had a play today with the intercooler spray and seems like it will be a success :yahoo:

I only temporary hooked it up today as am waiting on a 12v soleniod as it will syphon the washer tank, in the video i had 8 nozzles but think i may stretch it to 12 ;)

I'm undecided on how to wire this up??
It will have to definately be on a relay for the soleniod and the pump with a button inside the cabin somewhere and ideally will get a timer relay or have to make something of the sort up as don't want to hold the button down and could set it up for x amount of seconds per push?

Audi s3 intercooler spray - YouTube

The oil cooler is looking like it will have to be side mounted in one of the original intercooler positions as it will fit above the ah cooler but theres not going to be enough room for a run of the mill compression fitting but will speak to a friend and see if he knows of any?

I could definately fit a 13 row cooler above the intercooler like hollies but have already have got the 16, iirc did someone on here mount an oil cooler in the original cooler position?

482aa32d.jpg

Very tight

0bddae78.jpg

Will need some creative bracketry

0ab2fb7a.jpg

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated as always guys :icon_thumright:

Ps how do you post the video rather than a link...is it embedded as tried this and cant get it to work :(

Last edited:
c461c066.jpg

70c8bbe5.jpg

4c8881c5.jpg

c0882b63.jpg

a6cb6064.jpg

:) works well for me!

Cheers mate will have to do something similar and get creative with a bit of steel work me thinks ;)

I am thinking of keeping the original oil cooler housing as well like yourself iirc as when checking my temps the coolant always warms up quicker than the oil and if it does help get the oil to temp quicker then I suppose that's a bonus especially as I do a lot of short journeys?

Is that constantly leaking through the jets?

Yeah at quite a pace as well considering the size of the holes, but have got a 12v dc solenoid on order that will be as close to the jets as possible to shut ut off and stop it siphoning out

dadad894.jpg

e4f0d9af.jpg

The pipe is back to how it used to be with a m10 bolt in it to plug it till I'm ready to fit it all properly ;)

That`ll be good if it shuts it off. Otherwise they`d kick you straight out of a track session or RWYB day for instance lol. Constantly banging on about spray bars leaking on the track at Shakey when im there.

Little update although not much going on mainly research ;)

Made some spacers to trial with my front coilovers as had bit of scrap knocking about and was a quiet sunday at work

Heres a finished one against another doner part

643b01e1.jpg

Heres the finished spacers and the collection of parts for my intercooler spray kit that will be fitting when i next get a chance

0abaa6b1.jpg

My main concern is though that the solenoid has a bore of only 2.5mm at the piston which i didnt realise so will be curious to see if it can flow enough to supply 12 nozzles?

I have got a timer relay coming from somewhere from the far east and will have it on a button on the dash somewhere with it set up to spray for a 2-3 second burst per press of the button which should hopefully provide a bit more cooling and consistant power:racer:

Theres some other pretty big plans/ideas in the pipeline but whether i follow them through is another matter? :ninja: :whistle2:

So far i have ordered a TSR manifold with a 1.5 inch wastegate pipe which is hould hopefully be recieving around the end week of this month?

Very nice dude.

Whats the spacers for though? Also you get my pm reply the other day?

The spacers are for the front coilovers due the the top mounts we discussed lowered the front end by about an inch so am currently at the top of my adjusters so they will sit on top of the lock nuts to give me more adjustment to raise it up ;)

Sorry completely forgot to reply to your pm mate...... :friends: :)

Oooh i see, so if i go for the ally mounts, will i have to knock some of these up?

Ill let thi off mate haha.

Cheers I think lol ;)

I'll try and get you some pics when I do the spacers

On most suspension it drops it 10-15mm but on the h&r coilovers it has tall top hats that sit on top of the spring and the mounts replace the top hat/seat on the shock so that's where I lost a lot of the height, but these spacers will replace a lot of that lost hight :)

I need to get myself some of those CG top mounts I think, they look lovely!

Glad to see things are coming on well Stacey. I cannot wait to hear the end of your EGT nightmare!

The h2 sport top mounts are pretty well made too. Looking at getting a set myself as the standard top mounts are mickey mouse.

I need to get myself some of those CG top mounts I think, they look lovely!

Glad to see things are coming on well Stacey. I cannot wait to hear the end of your EGT nightmare!

I think some top mounts would really complement your car ;)

Can't wait either mate and think I may have found another replacement from a fella at work so plans may still go ahead although am very indecisive still due to costs ;)

The h2 sport top mounts are pretty well made too. Looking at getting a set myself as the standard top mounts are mickey mouse.

Have not seen the h2 mounts before but I did have a set of k-macs on recommendation by Amd and they were diabolical as didn't stay done up and kept moving but in fairness they had changed the design and the older ones seemed to work ok :)

Something else has just crossed my mind that my clutch didn't look overly pretty last time I had it apart :(

I'm wondering if I will get away with just a Sachs paddle and reuse my southbend single mass fly and Sachs pressure plate, afaik they're standard sizes so others should fit but am unsure if the heat would have fudged the fly and plate

These were taken around 5000 miles ago

5def72f4.jpg

ea22f981.jpg

The friction plate had reasonable wear and has never slipped in gears but has had the odd ****e launch and slipped when doing so but this was during the earlier use of the clutch and since the rebuild it still has been launched but just not slipped on launch like previously

1c0967c2.jpg

Opinions as always guys...

I know ideally I should replace the lot but that'll cost ££££ which if its needed I will have to but if just replacing the friction plate is considered acceptable then that's a bonus

My mate bought a twin plate clutch for his R32 GTR which had some heat spots on, one of which was quite bad but with some light sanding they came out and it was fine but it was nowhere near the extent of those pics. Also been told not to get them machined because your pedal feel will be sh!t. Up to you on what you want to do. You could try lightly sanding both surfaces back and seeing how they come out then risk refitting but obviously if you get any vibration/judder you`ll have to strip it all down again and refit new..

Just stick a Sachs plate in... its cerametallic so will grip just about anything lol... won't be exactly the same one as mine as you have a SMF... just had a quick look and can't actually find a spring paddle plate...

The part number for the non spring plate is 881864 001490... the Sachs webcat suggest there is a sprung version available but can't see it listed...

<tuffty/>

Cheers guys so wouldn't be at a total loss just chucking a new friction plate in then :)

Will see if I can find a sprung paddle as would prefer a paddle this time I think if it can withstand more abuse ;)

Do you think it would be an option to get the faces machined a fraction? Suppose you loose some clamping pressure?

I wouldnt bother from what i`ve been told before when it came to my mates clutch i mentioned. Give it a light sanding with some fine paper just enough to get rid of the colouring. None of the marks look too deep from pics anyway so might get away with a plate and sanding.

Well went to fit my spacers onto the coilovers tonight as going to try and get odd bits done a couple of evenings i have free as not got a day off until inters now....but really cant wait

Any how the idea was temporary flawed as didn't take into consideration the little shoulder on the top km nut so am going to have to bore a little shoulder out of them at work at some point

2bae5962.jpg

And heres some pics of the ground control top mounts disassembled for Dan and Prawn as i know he wanted to know more about these :)

Started to take apart

aa279699.jpg

Laid out in order of fitting

ae86d3a3.jpg

How thin the top seat is which isn't a problem unless like me your originals were really tall so this is why im needing these spacers to go between the spring and the nut

09080013.jpg

Hopefully will be reatemping to fit them shortly as well as the water spray as got all the parts for that now :)

So you remembered at last haha. How much did these set you back mate? Think i need them in my life haha. Can you still retain the standard strut?

Well went to fit my spacers onto the coilovers tonight as going to try and get odd bits done a couple of evenings i have free as not got a day off until inters now....but really cant wait

Any how the idea was temporary flawed as didn't take into consideration the little shoulder on the top km nut so am going to have to bore a little shoulder out of them at work at some point

2bae5962.jpg

You could fit the spacers between the locking rings? they should both lock up to the spacer ok? that way you retain the proper spring seat too...

<tuffty/>

You could fit the spacers between the locking rings? they should both lock up to the spacer ok? that way you retain the proper spring seat too...

<tuffty/>

I did think about that but it sort of defeats the object as won't get the spring any higher in relation to the damper as the upper km nut is already wound slightly higher than the thread runs and still won't be able to get it any higher with the spacer below it ;)

So you remembered at last haha. How much did these set you back mate? Think i need them in my life haha. Can you still retain the standard strut?

Yeah been working flat out but got there in the end ;)

Iirc they cost me about £250 and the make is ground control but theyre listed under the mk4 golf and yes the strut tower remains standard, the mount clamps on top and below :)

I did think about that but it sort of defeats the object as won't get the spring any higher in relation to the damper as the upper km nut is already wound slightly higher than the thread runs and still won't be able to get it any higher with the spacer below it ;)

Good point... :)

<tuffty/>

Just found them and **** me, how much lol. They do look very pretty though haha.

@Dani: If you're interested, H2sport do some for ~$300 (compared to $400) which look as well made but have slightly less adjustability from what I've seen. Worth a look.

I saw those superpro ones Stacey. They don't look very well made considering the price tag. Even over here they are more expensive than ground control or h2sports offerings.

I think they're fairly good value for what they are! KW clubsport topmounts are about £400 per set! and the Kmac ones are £300+ and don't seem to have the same 'race car' appeal and adjustability either. the GC top mounts are definitely on my must have list in the near future. Cheers Stacey!

Any chance for a link sam as not seen these before :)

Well have changed the spacers and they will now give me an extra 20mm if desired :)

2d66c4e8.jpg

9986fde3.jpg

Compared to the kmacs these are worth their weight in gold

Kmacs if it was the same model i got I wouldnt even fit to my car if they were free!

Reactions: anders15