turbo actuator

Pontio

Reaction score
Hi, wonder if any1 can help..
Being my first turbo car and not having any at work apart from turbo diesels i dont know a grate deal about them, getting there though.. When looking from underneath of the car at the turbo befor it there is the actuator on a long threaded rod with nuts holding it, if i was to shorten this theoretcally i would increase boost a bit?
Am i right in thinking that?

If its anything like mine, it will feel stronger and more urgent mid range, don't think you'll get higher peak boost but more mid as its keeping the wastegate more closed than it was. Don't forget though, that boost down low creates heat, intake temps rise and the ecu will pull the timing back to protect the engine.

Moved mine in about four turns but turbo and manifold got very hot. Not sure its good for the long run. Mile and a half flat out...... turbo and manifold bright orange.

Chris.

On a modern engine, you have to be very careful when playing with Actuator rod length...or you can confuse the ECU's boost control circuits...

Also, adding heat to the inlet charge with poor ICs (standard ICs) will gain you nothing as the ECU WILL pull the timing back.
More midrange and less top end?
Quite possibly...

im with Glen on this one.

Playing with the actuator rod is not the way to do it,

it used to be on cosworths and turbo'd vauxhalls etc, but things have moved forward.

A remap, is the way.

The N75 valve is the valve that regulates the wastegate, its just a matter of remapping that to suit.

the ECU then regulates the wastegate.

Im sure i read that Audi dont touch the actuator at all, if anything comes loose or breaks, the replace the whole turbo assembly, as they come pre set.

ok, just wanted a bit of an improvement as im bored of the power, not upgrading anything till august time roughly, spending my money on suspension soon.. i guess theres nothing i can do for now then..