handling and wheels

aaronmk2

Reaction score
first id like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post

ive just bought a 99 audi a3 20v this is my first audi a3 and im looking into getting the handling sorted ive already replaced the rear beam and dogbone mount with powerflex items as these two areas were most worn.my question is what is a good fast road setup i.e bushes,suspension,anti roll bars and best wheel and wheel spec etc (looking at lightweight wheel options not "scene" wheels lol)

any help would be much apprciated

aaron

Hello and welcome.

Plenty of high powered A3 boys on here with lots of mods.

I'm sure that their responses will be right around the corner. You might want to consider how much you wish to spend as many will recommend H&R/Bilsteins etc...which can be more expensive but you do essentially get what you pay for in this game.

Personally, i lowered 20mm all around with a KW suspension kit, put spacers on (11mm front / 16mm back), added 18" RS6 Reps with Michelin PS3s, Forge adjustable Tie Bars (to ensure that camber wasn't too detrimental after lowering), H&R Anti-roll bars, powerflex bushes all around.

My intention was fast road set up and certainly not track etc...which you will be able to tell by the kit i added as it's adding to the weight in essence of an already heavy car. I'm hoping my hybrid and new mani will ramp it back up again though.

Good luck with your build!

my setup is:
fully polybushed
19mm rear arb
Ap coilovers (lowered about 25mm)
18 x 8 inch wheels offsets are F:ET30, R:ET25
LCR top mounts
adjustable tie bars with geometry at:
front camber 1.3 degrees
front toe 0.02 out each side
rear camber 0.5 degrees
parallel rear toe
plus everything (links, joints, ends etc) all replaced

i consider my setup to be pretty well sorted, i wanted it for fast road and the odd track day.
the only thing that lets my car down are the heavy wheels, which ironically probably make the most difference out of all the above modifications.

thanks guys some great specs there, as its my first a3 im still learning ive had mk2 golfs for a long time so this is all new to me lol i want the a3 to be fast road car with the odd track day thrown in thanks again guys

which rear anti roll bar is everyone using

H&R on mine. They are big...Think they were 21mm. Sorted the handling and 4 wheel drive understeer out a treat.

But like the previous post says...these are on s3s with the haldex 4 wheel drive system in situ and about 300kg of extra weight as a result.

I here the eibach from and rear roll bars are good aswell. I think you can get both for around 250ish. supposed to handle 10 times better

I here the eibach from and rear roll bars are good aswell. I think you can get both for around 250ish. supposed to handle 10 times better

Agreed. Eibachs are impressive and very similar to the H&r ones.

Body roll improvement is huge. Easy bolt on this for little expense.

+1 for eibach anti roll bar kit, they have transformed my S3. I'm after coilovers now to complete my setup.
I'm a firm believer that tyre choice can make or destroy a cars handling, chose wisely and don't skimp out!

+1 for eibach anti roll bar kit, they have transformed my S3. I'm after coilovers now to complete my setup.
I'm a firm believer that tyre choice can make or destroy a cars handling, chose wisely and don't skimp out!

That's music my ears! Ps3's all the way for me but better stick to the thread...