squealing noise coming from engine

lowrider786

Reaction score
hiya people
recently i have been getting a squeling noise coming from my engine in the mornings it sounds very similar to when your alternater belt starts wearing or becomes loose!!!

when i start the car in the morning the noise will appear as soon as i have driven the car down the road the noise disappears??? i first i thought it was the alternater belt, so i had this replaced and tightened but this has not fixed the problem... has anyone got a clue what the noise is.. i have a audi a3 1.8T 1998

id of sed fan belt, but as u sed youve eliminated that, take the fan belt off and then try it again, if the noise has gone check all the pulleys to check for noise and play, you may have a noisey tensioner or bearing

could be your air conditioning compressor if fitted? I had same symptoms on my A6 before I sold it.
If Air Con is fitted switch it off and see if noise stops.

Could be your starter motor, mine does this intermittently especially from cold.

my car does not have air con /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think starter motor would only make a noise while starting - it shouldn't make a noise while driving off...?
When my starter went, I got a very high pitch squeal for about 1 second, and it tails off fast. Sounds like something is being made to spin and it really doesn't want to.