Hybrid Turbo K04

I imported my drilled Brute rods from pagparts, as at the time Bill was only doing the undrilled IE ones and i wanted rifle drilled, which no-one in the UK seemed to be able to supply.

Cost me $606 for the rods and a set of ACL big end bearings (£381 at todays exchange rates) plus another chunk on top for VAT and import duty (from memory this was another 50-60quid), so probably somewhere in the region of £440 for the rods and bearings.

AFAIK bill does now stock the Brute rods, and his prices are pretty similar from what i've seen.

rod price will depend on what type you wanted....
fitting you are into ~£450+vat region plus parts as a guide price

Great. Many thanks. with rifle drilled...about a £1000 ish then.

I imported my drilled Brute rods from pagparts, as at the time Bill was only doing the undrilled IE ones and i wanted rifle drilled, which no-one in the UK seemed to be able to supply.

Cost me $606 for the rods and a set of ACL big end bearings (£381 at todays exchange rates) plus another chunk on top for VAT and import duty (from memory this was another 50-60quid), so probably somewhere in the region of £440 for the rods and bearings.

AFAIK bill does now stock the Brute rods, and his prices are pretty similar from what i've seen.

currently IE's in stock.. in rifle and non-rifle drilled

Bill, do you stock the xs power manifolds?

( and thanks again for the turbo-back call earlier)
Marcus

no. sorry.

sam bryant has been doing some arranging on these with relentless direct. i think he's got a link in his siggy if you can find it.

currently IE's in stock.. in rifle and non-rifle drilled

Ah fair play.

TBH IE just messed me about so much, One minute they had AEB specific rods as the standard ones wouldnt clear the IM shaft, those were on back order, then discontinued, then they were supposed to be having new I-Beam ones made which would fit all engines which never seemed to materialise, then when i finally decided just to buy the ones that dont fit properly as i was bored of waiting, they had no stock and no idea when they'd be in.

Luckily i then discovered the Brute ones, which were slightly cheaper, all come rifile drilled as standard and fit the AEB without issue as they're I beam rather than H beam. Arnold at PAG was much better to deal with and everything went through smoothly.

These are the ones i bought:
Connecting Rods - Brute Connecting Rods - VW/Audi Brute 144mm Forged I-beam Connecting Rod Set. Forced Pin Oiling Rifle Dr

Jim: wern't you going to be giving us results last night? What went wrong fella?

ha..lol. Have to say that I am having a mare of a day but haven't forgotten and should have something in the next few hours to post.

Will try to vids and photos too if i get time but one thing at a time.

Sorry for delay, the car has been on the ramps since monday morning for one reason or another and it's doing my head in.

you are forgetting vat dude..
~£100-£150+vat in other parts required, shells, head bolts, gaskets, oil, coolant etc

If all in place, what bhp/lb of torque could you perhaps speculate on reliably achieving from 1.8t with a stage 3 hybrid?

Does anyone know?

Bill, do you stock the xs power manifolds?

( and thanks again for the turbo-back call earlier)
Marcus

hello there. im the man for manifolds :) i have currently setup a group buy here Log in | Facebook

we only need one more order :) add yourself to the page.

guys im not aloud to use my link in my sig due to forum rules, please contact me by pm or if you are on the relentless facebook page contact me there. i am setting up a official page here on audi-sport.net in the next few days.

hello there. im the man for manifolds :) i have currently setup a group buy here Log in | Facebook

we only need one more order :) add yourself to the page.

guys im not aloud to use my link in my sig due to forum rules, please contact me by pm or if you are on the relentless facebook page contact me there. i am setting up a official page here on audi-sport.net in the next few days.

Thanks mate, but after much debating last night on cost against realistic performance.....im gonna stick to the KO3 hybrid. It'll bold on to the turbo manifold already, which i will port and polish myself - i've be re-assured by several mods the flow is not much difference to a xs manifold, and seems like an un-neccessary expense that can be put towards this "wellycooler" that prawn has linked me with.

Thanks a lot for the heads up though.

Marcus

Thanks mate, but after much debating last night on cost against realistic performance.....im gonna stick to the KO3 hybrid. It'll bold on to the turbo manifold already, which i will port and polish myself - i've be re-assured by several mods the flow is not much difference to a xs manifold, and seems like an un-neccessary expense that can be put towards this "wellycooler" that prawn has linked me with.

Thanks a lot for the heads up though.

Marcus

Whilst in terms of cost you're definitely on the right lines, I wouldn't say a ported OEM ko3 manifold could even come anywhere close to the XS manifold in terms of flow!

The cost is an issue though, go go ko4 with a manifold, you're looking at the cost of the turbo, downpipe, manifold, oil/coolant lines, B5 TIP, all additional to the cost of going ko3 hybridl. I imagine you'd almost double the outlay, for only about an extra 20bhp (260 rather than 280ish)

Makes sense what you say.

Can you remember which cr turbos hybrid was used on wellys and is now on prawns? Or which stage in your opinion is best to go for from cr turbo's as am currently helping a mate price up for a hybrid conversion, and would you be happy to map it?

Mods will include (already got some)
XS downpipe and decat
XS mani
Rods
Milltek non res
Your famous TIP Jetex
Wellycooler

Possiblys
WMi
Largerport head

Forgot to add its an early TT 225 98 i think (t reg)

Cheers

>300bhp on hybrid k04 with a decent flowing manifold is possible.... on occasion

But it's the reality of getting to 300bhp with realistic driving and reliability.

As prawn says - with a ko4, it's almost like starting again, and with the ko3 hybrid ( with the ko4 turbine and compressor from rs6 ), it's all on-off.

Granted, the flow may not be as good as a xs...but it's a sacrifise i will happily make in comparison to the cost. S3 injectors / Upgraded N75 BCV / Probably a re-map (again!!!!!) / Wellycooler is being pieced together as we speak on my ebay account.

Turbo back manifold is on the to-do list along with the KO3 hybrid.

Marcus

Can you remember which cr turbos hybrid was used on wellys and is now on prawns? Or which stage in your opinion is best to go for from cr turbo's as am currently helping a mate price up for a hybrid conversion, and would you be happy to map it?

Mods will include (already got some)
XS downpipe and decat
XS mani
Rods
Milltek non res
Your famous TIP Jetex
Wellycooler

Possiblys
WMi
Largerport head

Forgot to add its an early TT 225 98 i think (t reg)

Cheers

Calling things "stages" is what i think causes most of the discrepancies in these hybrids. The number of "stage x" turbos CR have produced that have been different to the next one is quite astounding.

Instead, its much better specifying the internal components.

So for instance saying you want a "5306-123-2014 (2283) compressor with a 5304-120-5018 (RS6) turbine with no clip and a wastegate ported to 24mm" will get Exactly that every time.

Calling things "stages" is what i think causes most of the discrepancies in these hybrids. The number of "stage x" turbos CR have produced that have been different to the next one is quite astounding.

Instead, its much better specifying the internal components.

So for instance saying you want a "5306-123-2014 (2283) compressor with a 5304-120-5018 (RS6) turbine with no clip and a wastegate ported to 24mm" will get Exactly that every time.

I agree completely, aside from the wastegate bit, as it seems CR can't port a wastegate properly.

Mine is the 2283 / RS6 combo, with a 7 degree clip on the turbine wheel as the first one ran VERY close to surge on spool up apparently.

What was noted though, is that CR's idea of a ported wastegate is a massive hole bored straight through the wastegate into the housing, which leaves a really nasty step in the slow, and doesn't look right at all.

Bill requested my housing remain 'unported' and ported it himself with a die grinder :)

Basically want the best one ie with the billet compressor wheel and rs6 turbine iirc but not sure which people had better experiances with ie clipped/non clipped and waste gate porting as i know bill has tried various ;)

I agree completely, aside from the wastegate bit, as it seems CR can't port a wastegate properly.

Mine is the 2283 / RS6 combo, with a 7 degree clip on the turbine wheel as the first one ran VERY close to surge on spool up apparently.

What was noted though, is that CR's idea of a ported wastegate is a massive hole bored straight through the wastegate into the housing, which leaves a really nasty step in the slow, and doesn't look right at all.

Bill requested my housing remain 'unported' and ported it himself with a die grinder :)

Cheers mate exactly what i was after ;)

Knob on, see my old thread for Cr's idea of 'porting'

correct there was a lip around the wastegate from the porting as well

Right....quick update.

XS Power mani is in, Turbodynamics Stage 3 K04 Hybrid is on and a new custom TIP.

I have to say that it was from an easy install and we had to modify the heat shield prior to re-install as there isn't much space after the mani goes in.

However, it's worth all the hassle and to call the car 'spiriting' would be a massive understatement. We have been experimenting with the map to take into account all of the elements, manage torque, psi and bhp and achieved 310bhp with 300lb of torque yesterday without pushing it.

However, as a precaution, we are allowing the parts to bed for a couple of hundred miles and limited the power to 274bhp at 18psi until around Tuesday next week. We just want to be sure about before cracking it up to what it can do.

We'll remap again next Tuesday morning, tinker where necessary and produce/post the dyno readings.

I have to say that the engine sounds, through the new mani, is so different from standard and the responsiveness/eagerness of the car is startling. Best modifcation i've done?....aside from the initial remap...quite possibly. The car certainly feels more alive and enthusiastic than ever before and totally different to drive.

I've also added pics on Sam Bryant facebook page for those interested:-

S3 XS Power & Hybrid Install | Facebook

Will update you all again in due course and sorry for the delay.

Reactions: sambryant
bring it down when done.. be nice to see it in action on my rollers

That'd be no problem, it would be good to test on others rollers as I've heard, and imagine, that there can be huge discrepencies.

I'll get the map finalised next tuesday, post the final dyno report on what we settle for and then sort something.

james thats a great early start, considering no wmi and small port head, plus not maxed out mapping. will be awesome when finished and please please contact me before you go to bills as i want to meet you there :)

Fair play buddy!,glad you are happy!

Thanks.

I have to say...it's like being in a different car. The power responsive and purposeful. I am very impressed as it's clear that the mani just opens the flood gates on the car. The noise is something else too!

I'll pop around next tuesday morning after final map if you are around.

james thats a great early start, considering no wmi and small port head, plus not maxed out mapping. will be awesome when finished and please please contact me before you go to bills as i want to meet you there :)

Will do Sam.

Wouldn't have done it had you not got the remarkable deal from the States on the mani and the guys play testing at Badger 5.

Great job all round! Thank you all very very much.

Thanks.

I have to say...it's like being in a different car. The power responsive and purposeful. I am very impressed as it's clear that the mani just opens the flood gates on the car. The noise is something else too!

I'll pop around next tuesday morning after final map if you are around.
I should hope it is!,think of the money lol!,yea pop round be good!,can't wait for mine now!

Bill are you about on Saturday? I'm picking the A3 up from Niki and will be passing yours on my way back down South! I'll drop you a PM in a mo

Always there Saturday Nick lol.... and Sunday for that matter...

<tuffty/>

That'd be no problem, it would be good to test on others rollers as I've heard, and imagine, that there can be huge discrepencies.

I'll get the map finalised next tuesday, post the final dyno report on what we settle for and then sort something.

coolio

hope it goes well for you.
fingers crossed.

Can one of you mods please change the title to the correct spelling?

It's really bugging me - Hybid turbo sounds like an expensive turbo on ebay....

Reactions: liquids3