Grinding/ Rubbing sound on cornering?

slydog18

N88GGY S3
Reaction score
Hi there, After getting my first S3 (2002 '52) last week I have noticed that as when I come off the motorway and go around the roundabout at about 25-30 there is a feint grinding/rubbing sound that sound like a bearing or something. It is not constant but seems to make a noise as the wheels are turning, bit like loose wheels, and makes me wonder if it could be something to do with the Haldex system. Anyone know off hand if this is a common problem?

Thanks in advance.

Has the car been lowered?

A common problem is the front ARB rubbing on the driveshaft when cornering if the car has been lowered too far or without the use of shortened drop links.

Has not been lowered as far as i can tell car is totally standard with only 60000 miles on it apart from wheels. Here is a pic:-

S3Nearside.jpg

Has the car been lowered?

A common problem is the front ARB rubbing on the driveshaft when cornering if the car has been lowered too far or without the use of shortened drop links.

Don't think the s3's have the same issues as the a3's with the anti roll bars ;)

No... S3's don't suffer from this particular issue...

<tuffty/>

Does it only happen around left hand bends? I'm not suggesting you drive the wrong way round a roundabout, but if it's only when turning one way then it's more likely to be something associated with the side of the car that's under load, eg. front wheel bearing. Also, it sounds obvious but have you checked the wheel bolts are correctly torqued up?

i seem to have a noise when turning left at all like the wheels sound like they are rubbing.. only started since i changed my centre section so may be that?

Bushes are a possibility. I have a similar described noise from front offside when cornering...jacked up the car and the front wishbone bushes have just disintegrated. Replacing them next week. Check yours.

thanks, will check when weather is better. Just found it a bit odd as its a kind of "grump grump grump" noise rather than a constant hum and i have noticed it both ways. Dont think it is quick enough to be a bearing, it seems a slower kind of repeat which makes me think it could be diff or something. (Forgive the description but its the only way I could think to describe it in writing LOL!!)