Power steering failure

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
On my way home friday i could hear a bit of a whine coming from the car. Couldnt put my finger on the noise but it seemed to be related to the steering.

Got home and checked the power steering fluid and low and behold it was basically empty :(

got the car in the garage and up on a jack and could see there was some sort of fluid dripping off the plastic covers, Took the covers off and managed to trace the leak to the pipe that runs around the sump.

Un bolted the pipe for closer inspection and there was a pin hole in the pipe in one of the bends and as soon as you moved the steering fluid was leaking out.

Phoned TPS and they managed to get me a replcement pipe and some new fluid today so have just replaced the pipe and bled the system and all seem good now.

So reasonably easy fix but still £70 i wasnt expecting to spend this weekend.

ouch, im going to replace my p/s fluid today Rob... out of interest, how did you bleed? Just top up and turn wheel lock to lock with engine running? what fluid did you use?

well when i removed said dodgy pipe i lost a bit of fluid of course. So once i had it back together i topped up the fluid and then started the car. Turn from full lock to full lock and then top up as the level drops keep doing this until the level stays and does not drop anymore.

I had heard that Audi use a specific PAS fluid so i just got some from TPS as it was not too expensive.

Oh and i checked the PS level for a week or so after just to make sure it stayed full (which it did).

Last edited:
well when i removed said dodgy pipe i lost a bit of fluid of course. So once i had it back together i topped up the fluid and then started the car. Turn from full lock to full lock and then top up as the level drops keep doing this until the level stays and does not drop anymore.

I had heard that Audi use a specific PAS fluid so i just got some from TPS as it was not too expensive.

Oh and i checked the PS level for a week or so after just to make sure it stayed full (which it did).

Thanks all done.. i just dropped it out of the bottom of the pump. Fluid was only £8 from audi you were right. Im strangely addicted to the smell!!

Yeah for that price its not worth buying the cheaper stuff. Glad you got it sorted easily enough :)