Reverse Gear

Status

mods for a3

best mods for an 1.6 a3 that doesnt cost the earth

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    All depends what you want from your car?
    Performance, better off with a 1.8t or 1.9tdi
    Style, lowering and some nice alloys.

But all comes down to what you want from your car
    a3 1.8t silver.... jom coilovers.....TIP.......front ARB.......simota carbon enclosed induction kit.......forge dv....stage 1 remap and now rolling on BBS LM reps

5th Gear

Status
    Selling and getting a 1.8t no point modding a 1.6 unless it's for looks and sound IMO.

Cheap coilovers.
    Open filter
    Wheels
    Carbon fibre wrap some interior?
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_a31.6 View Post
    best mods for an 1.6 a3 that doesnt cost the earth
    Your looking at basics as it's non-turbo

Air Filter / Induction Kit
    Stainless Manifold With De-cat Straight through

Decent coil packs, NGK's, Decent Oil 'bout the only things i can suggest...

I wanna say bigger injectors, and a re-map ecu - but dont think it will be worth the cost <-> bhp

Marcus

1st Gear

Status
    i've got a 1.6 as its my first car, heres some good mods to do;

splitter
    take away the chrome from around the grill
    lower it all round on coilovers
    get some nice 18" wheels for it, sellin my rstts if interested
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/sale-wa...ang-tyres.html
    de wiper the rear
    de-badge it
    paint breaks
    etc

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    This thread is awesome.

If it is your first car then don't do anything to it, because you won't legally be able to afford the insirance.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    This thread is awesome.

If it is your first car then don't do anything to it, because you won't legally be able to afford the insirance.
    "Legally" lol

5th Gear

Status
    This thread is awesome.

Agree, but adding splitter and painting calipers, adding original Audi wheels won't affect insurance. Whereas exhaust work and coilovers will.
    I'd save your pennies. Do little bits to the 1.6 to try and increase its value then sell up mate and get something worth the £ on mods
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Ahhh i was onece a boy racer, no power but plenty of noise :D id say just stick a fat foam pipercross filter on it, some nice 18inch rims ie. rs4 reps and the like, and a lower it till it scrapes insurance wont mind rims and an airfilter, had cars wrote off with more than that on it with no probs. good luck

4th Gear

Status
    Just leave it standard and save up ur no claims bonus then go wild !!
    p

THE BLUE BEAST, TAKEN FROM ME, GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
    RTECH STAGE 2 REMAP NOW RUNNING 223 BHP AND 253 FTLB OF TORQUE,
    SUBARU IMPREZA WRX ESTATE SOON TO BE RUNNING 340 BHP
    ANTI LAG/LAUNCH CONTROL/MAF LESS/ LOVE IT !!

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Alais DJA View Post
    "Legally" lol
    Yeah man, it's a massive deal! If an uninsured driver who had modded their car and not declared it mowed down my missus, leaving me unable to pay our mortgage, with a partner 6 feet under and a massive hole in my life without a couple of hundred grand compo to take my mind of it, what do you think I would do to them?

Modding a 1.6 non turbo car is silly, personally I would just drive it around standard and enjoy having a nice car. If you lower it amd throw wheels on it then it will only encourage the big boys to come along and make you look silly.

Then never do them.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    who said hes not insured ?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    who said hes not insured ?
    I suspect Jardo means uninsured due to it being null and void for not declaring the mods...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    I suspect Jardo means uninsured due to it being null and void for not declaring the mods...

<tuffty/>
    This is my point. The insursnce for a 1.6 A3 with coilovers, a set of wheels and spacers would almost certainly be more tham that of a better car in the first place. The suggestion of "legally lol" sums it up for me. Declaring modifications isn't a laughing matter, without putting too fine a point on it...When you get in a car you are taking other peoples lives in your hand, if a child ran out in the road in front of you and your undeclared wheels mowed them down before you could stop, I wouldn't like to know the outcome if it went to court! Just a word of warning to the OP, search for insurance costs BEFORE modding because it isn't worth the risk.

Then never do them.

1st Gear

Status
    This is my point. The insursnce for a 1.6 A3 with coilovers, a set of wheels and spacers would almost certainly be more tham that of a better car in the first place. The suggestion of "legally lol" sums it up for me. Declaring modifications isn't a laughing matter, without putting too fine a point on it...When you get in a car you are taking other peoples lives in your hand, if a child ran out in the road in front of you and your undeclared wheels mowed them down before you could stop, I wouldn't like to know the outcome if it went to court! Just a word of warning to the OP, search for insurance costs BEFORE modding because it isn't worth the risk.
    good job all mine are declared, and its my first car lol

1st Gear

Status
    yea its true after another years no claims and insurance and driving company car 80% of the time after looking for quotes for coilovers and s3 brake upgrade only making the car safer puts my insurance up on last year. but im sure if i look hard ill find it about the same. But i am getting a 2-4k pay rise this year so all is good
    A3 1.8TQS Minge blue
    Mods: AP coilovers, Strut Brace, Merc wheels, S3 brakes, hopefully going BT soon

1st Gear

Status
    also, difference is a 1.8t its not the fact of it being a LOT of money, most companies wouldn't even say yes lol!!

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by N4THW View Post
    also, difference is a 1.8t its not the fact of it being a LOT of money, most companies wouldn't even say yes lol!!
    A week after my 17th birthday I owned a BMW 750IL V12 and had it as a daily driver, by the time I was 18 I had owned two V12 XJS's.

Oh the joys of an unlimited trade policy...

Then never do them.

2nd Gear

Status
    I just come off the phone with my mate. he works for a guy who buys and sells exotic cars and he's driving a 335d m sport to the yard to drop it off and driving back to leeds in a 2012 porshe 911 turbo at 19.

im sat in central london listening him telling me how awesome they are on trade policy while i pay 300 a month for a 1.8T lol.

Certified S3 Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by A3AH View Post
    I just come off the phone with my mate. he works for a guy who buys and sells exotic cars and he's driving a 335d m sport to the yard to drop it off and driving back to leeds in a 2012 porshe 911 turbo at 19.

im sat in central london listening him telling me how awesome they are on trade policy while i pay 300 a month for a 1.8T lol.
    Yeah it is pretty gutting, the day I lost my trade policy was a sad one! I used to get to drive all sorts, took a 911 GT3RS home for a couple of days and used to drive an E Type as a "company car".

Now I don't have the policy it sucks, paying £100 a month for my A3 where as I never paid a penny for two years of my trade policy!

Then never do them.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah it is pretty gutting, the day I lost my trade policy was a sad one! I used to get to drive all sorts, took a 911 GT3RS home for a couple of days and used to drive an E Type as a "company car".

Now I don't have the policy it sucks, paying £100 a month for my A3 where as I never paid a penny for two years of my trade policy!
    yeah sounds exactly like him. his boss gives him a daily and atm.he drives him round in the brabus mercedes as his boss lost his license in an lp-560.

atleast you got the privilege of driving these machines on public road when many pay ridiculous prices to do 3-6 laps on pro drive circuits.

funny you mentioned the gt3 RS because they had a bright green one and a stage 2 astra VXR started trying to spin up behind them on the 10 mile A46.

Edit: i would upload the pics but unsure how to on tapatalk.
    Last edited by A3AH; 4th February 2012 at 14:31.