Thermostat problems

s3black

Reaction score
So i replaced the temp sender as temperature on dash showed 60-70 and still smae problem. Changed Thermostat and temperature went up to 90 and stayed there...... job done...... hmm think not. The next day i started her back up and popped the heater on. Temperature fell slowly back down to 60-70 and stayed there.

Moving it sits at 60
Sitting still it sits at 90

Even the heater this morning seems colder than it was before i changed the thermostat yeasterday.......

Whats your thoughts lads? any help would be appretiated as its p*****g me off now.

crap thermostat, new parts fail too

the symptoms are as follows (all temp readings are from the digital dash as i know the analog one sits at 90 if the temp is between 81 - 109 once it has initially warmed up)

- car takes a very long time to warm up, if traffic is flowing it takes forever or doesn't even get there (will sit at 75 in moving taffic)
- car gets up to temp when stationary after a bit of driving (although only 85 max at idle) (91 @ 2000 rpm)
- car cools down when driving off after car has warmed up (from 85 to 75)
- hard driving sees the temp rise (to around 84)
- car heating system takes a lot longer to warm up and become useful
- temp drops even more when heating is put on full, even cooler when the aircon is on too

Last edited by a moderator:
crap thermostat, new parts fail too

the symptoms are as follows (all temp readings are from the digital dash as i know the analog one sits at 90 if the temp is between 81 - 109 once it has initially warmed up)

- car takes a very long time to warm up, if traffic is flowing it takes forever or doesn't even get there (will sit at 75 in moving taffic)
- car gets up to temp when stationary after a bit of driving (although only 85 max at idle) (91 @ 2000 rpm)
- car cools down when driving off after car has warmed up (from 85 to 75)
- hard driving sees the temp rise (to around 84)
- car heating system takes a lot longer to warm up and become useful
- temp drops even more when heating is put on full, even cooler when the aircon is on too

Are these parts that bad?? :think:
I purchased the new one from Euro Car Parts yesterday afternoon. Seriously though the dashboard temp is showing a FLAT 60 when driving around town with a heater reading of 23 degrees c on low blow.
Also if you have heard of this...... Has anyone ever fitted a secondary watter pump to an S3??

Thanks for the advice colicabcadam :thumbsup:

seems like you have just been unlucky, remove it and take it back, you might as well get a original VAG one as they are not too expensive

when my stat in my RS4 went it was a little warmer than the weather now' the symptoms i posted where my exact symptoms when it happened to me

s3's have a secondary water pump already installed, it comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on and turns off about 3 minutes after the ignition is turned off, it's located top left of the radiator when facing the car, you'll be able to hear it if it is working

does your car even warm up a little if you pull over ? certainly sounds like the stat you put in was worse than the original lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had cheap ones do exactly that before.

worked fine then all of a sudden just gave out within Hours/days/weeks of fitting.

Lucky its an easy job paha

colicabcadam
Yes i can hear the second pump working when turned off and yes it will heat up but only if i turn my heating off. And in this weather im not doing that lol. The temp sits as though the engine is cold when it is on though 60 degrees mate.

Thanks lads. I was thinking that it cant be this on a new part but from what your telling me i will take it back... heres hoping i still have the old one in my mates garage :sadlike:

if it helps you can have the heating on, just press the econ button instead of the auto button (it will be in auto mode anyway if you used that setting last) - this will stop the aircon from coming on, so the fans wont come on either, which will help it warm up a little

I take it you replaced the rubber o-ring when you changed the stat? have heard of peeps missing this out and getting the symptoms you describe...

<tuffty/>

<tuffty/>

No i didnt replace it but i did use a very small amount of Audi sealant on the o-ring. It didnt come with one either mate :think:

Did you put the old one back in? advisable to replace the o-ring when swapping the stat tbh...

Sealant is not needed nor advised either as this can find its way into the cooling system and block stuff up or jam the pumps...

<tuffty/>

Did you put the old one back in? advisable to replace the o-ring when swapping the stat tbh...

Sealant is not needed nor advised either as this can find its way into the cooling system and block stuff up or jam the pumps...

<tuffty/>

Yes used the old one. New one never came with one :think:

Only used a small amount of sealant boss. Just enough to see so should be no residue in the water. Im going to get a new one on soon though and hope that sorts it. Job done : )

The seal is seperate to yeah it wont come with a new one.

Gf`s Leon does the same thing so i`ll be doing the job this weekend providing its not snowing.

The seal is seperate to yeah it wont come with a new one.

Gf`s Leon does the same thing so i`ll be doing the job this weekend providing its not snowing.

Cheers boss. But i do hope that it snows...... :rock:

Probably not so bad in Scotland as people are more used to it but down here a bit of snow on the road even if its a slight dusting, everyones driving skills go down the pan and people turn into *******. Bit like when it rains too! If that wasnt the case then i wouldnt mind it lol.