Aftermarket headunit power problem

tyson

Reaction score
Just fitted a double din JVC headunit.
for some reason the headunit won't power off when i take the key out of the ignition.
any help would be appreciated.

I think with most VAG cars ive had there was a yellow and a red wire with a bullet conector on the new after market headunit ISO loom that needed crossing over?
The ignition feed and constant live feed i think,
Somebody will be along soon to tell you exactly on an Audi,
My car already had an after market headunit so its the only car i didnt need to swop

Just tried it swapped red to yellow, yellow to red no luck, then tried red to red and yellow to red and still no luck :(
Hoping it won't drain my battery

If you have a 2000+ A3 then you don't have an ignition on feed to the HU, as Audi switched to using the CANBUS to tell the HU when the keys are in etc. You need to wire in a feed from the fusebox, the fuse you need is Radio S-Kont, or you stick with attaching the red & yellows together on the permanent live and switch the HU on/off manually - it won't drain the battery as long as you remember to turn the HU off.

thanks for that will give it a go tonight,
the wire running from this Radio S-Kont fuse, where would it go to at the back of the headunit? attached to the red or white or something different? sorry to sound like a pleb

Attached to the red.
Yellow = permanent live
Red = ignition on or switched live

also with the standard audi headunit it shows you on the small lcd screen in the dashboard which radio station your on etc. is there any way of having this feature with an aftermarket headunit?

No, there are only a couple of brands that offer this pointless feature (Blaupunkt do a lead for about £80 but it only works with certain Blaupunkt HU's), just look 8 inches to the left and all the info is there on the HU

Reactions: fran-s3
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Just had a go at the radio s-kont i have a 7.5 amp in the s contact and a 15 amp in the radio fuse holders. Tried both and neither are working with the ignition?[/FONT]

really need to know how to get the radio to turn off with ignition as now have a 4 channel amp which also stays on!
i dont have the full wiring harness, the black connector that powers the sub isn't connected would this do it?

also when reving the engine with the radio off for some reason i am getting the noise of the engine reproduced through the tweeters any ideas?

any help would be appreciated