20v non turbo needs more power

babyaudi

Reaction score
Really want more bhp out the 20v non turbo what's the best way cud it b turbo'd?

Yeah thought of that but really don't too sell it, it's mint purple and only done 68k with full leather ac u name it it's got it option wise just they forgot the turbo! Much work to turbo her up?

Yeah thought of that but really don't too sell it, it's mint purple and only done 68k with full leather ac u name it it's got it option wise just they forgot the turbo! Much work to turbo her up?

Well itl cost a shiney penny dude, used ko3s, exhaust mani, new/diffrent head, new ecu, and youl need it all mapped in, and im sure iv missed loads out, but thats the chunk of it, id say save up and buy a mint a3 1.8t, got loads of potential then, or stick a 1.8t engine into your current car.

Dam I was hoping they were the same engine just needed turbo parts and ecu as that I can do?

The level of work and cost involved really makes it a pointless exercise tbh... insurance will be higher than on a proper turbo car too as the work is classified as modifications...

Assuming the main reason for buying the non turbo car was because you are young and insurance is an issue then realistically the best approach is to bide your time until you can afford to ensure a 1.8t... then you get a remap and all is good in the world... your current car will be worth much less than a genuine 1.8t if you go ahead...

This question comes up all the time but tbh the only answer anyone will give is sell it and buy one that VAG has already done the work on...

I would need to check part numbers but the non turbo bottom end wouldn't be the same as a turbo engine anyway so you would need that to be rebuilt to take the power..

The wiring will be different too and the replacement ECU will need an immo defeat to be usable or recoded... you will need all the right parts to do the conversion so pipes as well as ancillaries like the inlet/exhaust manis, intercoolers etc...

Not sure what brakes they fit to the NA versions either... the 1.6's get smaller brakes so this may also be the case on the 1.8's too... in which case you would need to change them for safety...

Now... while this is all easily doable (I recently worked on a 20v turbo conversion for a Mk3 Golf) you have to ask the question why bother when you can buy one already done properly by VAG and then spend the rest of the cash you saved on suspension, wheels and remaps...

If you were stripping the car to put a tuned engine with a bigger turbo for track use the yeah... go for it otherwise simply buy a 1.8t...

<tuffty/>

The heads the same, the rest of the engine however is not.

Block, Pistons, valves, camshafts, inlet and exhaust manifold, wiring harness, ECU, exhaust, intercooler, clutch, brakes, coolant and oil pipework, sump and many other parts are different.

Effectively you need to just go and buy a complete turbo engine, with all its anciliaries, and install it as a complete unit, and even then you'll need so many little odds and sods it will cost a stupid amount of money.

Which is why i said the only sensible approach is to sell it and buy the right car in the first place.

No my age not the prob I'm 26 just stupidly feel in love wiv this a3 colour and all the extras! And the mrs like it too ( my 1.8 does have the 288 discs too) mm might b selling her or just live with it!

godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg

I dont get it.

When buying something you look at all the characteristics. If you go looking for a TV, you dont ignore the size and choose a massive (or tiny) set for the room just because it had a fit woman on the display and had a pretty bezel... Or buy a jacket that doesnt fit, because it was cheap and was a nice color and came with a free Coke.

So why, if you want a car with more than 120hp, would you have baught a 1.8NA A3? Surely when looking for a car, you'd have as a criteria for instance "i want 200hp, or the ability to easily get 200hp". As a result no matter how nice, pretty, loaded, or cheap a non-turbo A3 was, its never going to meet the requirements.

I wanted a bora the mrs wanted the a3 as thought bora was too big. power wasn't what I was worried about I just wanted a car I cud trust just miss the power from my golf and wondered how easy was to upgrade the n/a this car was ment to stay standard (another reason I went for it and it my family car) but the modding bug is getting to me again!

I know Mayb I sud just go buy another golf and keep a3 as it is a beautiful car drive!

The bora was too big lol? Its the same size!

My missus whinged about big cars, so i made her buy an A4 Avant! Amusingly, she now loves it and doesnt like "silly little cars" now :p

I know Mayb I sud just go buy another golf and keep a3 as it is a beautiful car drive!

If it is so beautiful to drive why do you want more power?!

This thread is retardddded, sell up and buy a 1.8t A3. Get it remapped and it will be a decent power, the same drive and probably the same on fuel. How much was this car, surely it can't have been so cheap that you HAD to buy it over just buying the right car in the first place?

The car is nice to drive comfortable and rides well it's not always about power this was ment to b my sensible family car as it is the five door! Well for the 68k full service history from five oaks Audi and brand new battery tyres all round and a years tax and one carefully lady owner from new I paid 1100 cheap as chips!

I know the bora is same size but u know the mrs no sense of dimensions!

The car is nice to drive comfortable and rides well it's not always about power this was ment to b my sensible family car as it is the five door! Well for the 68k full service history from five oaks Audi and brand new battery tyres all round and a years tax and one carefully lady owner from new I paid 1100 cheap as chips!

I know the bora is same size but u know the mrs no sense of dimensions!

I hate to sound like a MASSIVE C but you paid about the right price for it assuming it is mint.

I work with new cars all day every day, and we use a system called CAP to value PX's. Assuming the car is totally minters it has a suggested retail with that mileage of £1195 and a trade in value of £700.

Agreed it is a LOT of car for the money and is a good buy, but the **** has fallen out of the market and S/H cars have dropped like a stone. For £1100 you certainly could have bought the same sort of car in a 1.8t. If you honestly want more power then sell it and buy a 1.8t, otherwise just sit on what is a nice clean car and make the most of it. Save up and give it to the missus then buy yourself a 1.8t :) The 1.8 is a smooth engine, and certainly better than the 1.6!

Clean it is! has full leather heated ac and climate control cd changer Bose sound system Audi fitted Bluetooth kit she had fitted last year it had never been polished but she kept it clean and alloys are spotless I've sorted the paint so she shines like new! I thought was a steal at that money I couldn't find any 1.8t for under 1500 when we were buying!

try find the same colour in a turbo model or a colour u like. swap all the extras & wala, all the gizmos & the power ;)

Buy a cheap A3 TQS, strip it and tune it... something for the weekend with your current A3 as the daily :)

<tuffty/>