Audi S3 temp above 90

Alex_s3

Reaction score
Hello all, i had a strange issue the other day after giving the car a boot to catch the lights, after this the temp gauge went up to 95ish and stayed there, put the heaters on was blowing hot, temp stayed up but didnt go any higher, stopped at petrol station and after refuelling the car and restarting the temp was back at 90 and has been fine ever since.

For the record i changed my temp sensor and thermostat 4 months ago, car is standard apart from forge 007 and a DNA tuning map.

I was concerned it could be headgasket but all seems ok, no funny colour in oil filler, heaters blow hot etc

Has anyone had any similar issues?

Thanks in advance for any help

If it happens again I would suspect the waterpump but its probably a oneof

Ah i did wonder about the waterpump, hopefully a one off though. Will be changing pump, belt etc soon anyway as im not sure if pump has been done, 86k

Thanks for the reply

if its never had a belt change chances are the pumps never been done
id say its about ready at 86k

The belt has been done in the service history but nothing to say about pump, will do them both for peace of mind

Had you been sitting in traffic for a while?

The guage has a buffer which means it doesnt move past 90 until the temperature exceeds ~100c

If you'd been sat in traffic its likely the temperature was up around 98-99c anyway, and at a guess you've booted it thru a light then slowed down again resulting in a short spike in temperature over 100c which has brought the guage up?

Thats exactly what happened aragorn, but i still thought it strange as i didnt think these gauges moved once at 90 unless there was something seriously wrong.