Bosch 440 green injectors: anyone got some? swap and want 550s?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Folks, I'm in desperate need here, so please don't delete this straight away, it's not a classifieds type request!

I'm having my car mapped next weekend, and talking to Rtech-Nick he says that my pre historic ME3.8 ECU won't work very well with the more modern 550cc injectors, and says that I'm best off finding some bosch 440cc 'green giants'.

Apparently the injectors drivers are different, and it'll work, but not fuel 100% properly across the range.

Does anyone have any Bosch 440's that they're planning to use on a new build, that would prefer a set of 550's? if so I'd be hugely interested to hear from you!

My 550's are the Bosch ones that Bill uses on all his ko4 hybrid builds now, direct fit into an S3/AUM engine, and have the plug and play adaptors too.

Help me out folks!

Desperate Prawn

Isn't Welly's ecu the same sort of ancient being as yours dude? I think speedy Stevens injectors maybe 440's ???

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=433877&pid=4264973&st=0&#entry4264973

get in contact with this guy,see if he can help

What about swaping the ecu for a later one, wideband maybe??

Isn't Welly's ecu the same sort of ancient being as yours dude? I think speedy Stevens injectors maybe 440's ???

Fraid not dude, wellys is narrow band ME7, your old one was wide band ME7.5, my ancient thing is narrow band ME3.8, cable throttle, no map sensor, totally different.

What about swaping the ecu for a later one, wideband maybe??

Lovely idea, and something I'd love to do one day, but I'm out of time. it's a load of work on mine, have to change the whole engine loom, clocks, throttlebody, throttle pedal, add a map sensor, second lamda, loads of work.

It's being mapped next week, and Nick says that the 440's will work way better on the ME3.8 than the 550's, so I do what he says.

Fraid not dude, wellys is narrow band ME7, your old one was wide band ME7.5, my ancient thing is narrow band ME3.8, cable throttle, no map sensor, totally different.

Lovely idea, and something I'd love to do one day, but I'm out of time. it's a load of work on mine, have to change the whole engine loom, clocks, throttlebody, throttle pedal, add a map sensor, second lamda, loads of work.

It's being mapped next week, and Nick says that the 440's will work way better on the ME3.8 than the 550's, so I do what he says.

Whoa!! That is a lot of work for yours!! Good luck in find your injectors

As much as i trust Nicks judgement, I just cannot see 440s being enough for your hybrid. S3's are 386 and are maxed at stage 2 mapping, so a hybrid will surely flow more??

Are you sure nick won't require you to have a 4 bar fpr with the 440's it seems a popular option for r-tech I believe.

I had considered 440's as I think they are good for 300 not any higher. I've used the calculator here in the past

Injectors and Fuel Supply

And for 300bhp it suggests 462cc injectors @ 85% duty so there's a little scope

I didnt really look into upgrading my injectors (neither hijacking the thread..sorry) but will i need to get 440's for, 3" dpipe decat, exhaust manifold, badger 5 tip, and a custom re-map?

I didnt really look into upgrading my injectors (neither hijacking the thread..sorry) but will i need to get 440's for, 3" dpipe decat, exhaust manifold, badger 5 tip, and a custom re-map?

Nope... :)

<tuffty/>

Considering I only want 280-300 max I think they'll be fine. ANy more power than that in mine and I think I'll just spin the wheels up and go nowhere.

For now at least, it's staying low boost, and ME3.8. Might consider ME7 and 550's at the end of this year along with rods, then try some more boost

Thanks for your help chaps, I think I've got some sorted from Dan though :)

EV1 Bosch 440cc x 4 will fuel for 350bhp @ 3bar rail pressure. But remember the fuel rail pressure scales with boost so under full boost there will be over 4bar of rail pressure behind them.

Sort of in line with this thread, if you wand to upgrade ECU, your better off going for standalone. I looked into the Emerald and it would be cheaper and easier than changing for later Audi stuff. Fully tweakable and it's adaptive. ****** simple to map yourself with the software or give it to an expert.

On a side note, PM me if you are interested in any bits. I've still got a box full (you know the stuff) from when I was planning to go for bigger power. I'm living in Thailand now so I'll never get to use them.

I do have injectors, but they are 630cc siemens (sorry).

Hi mines a 2000 APY... Any ideas which injectors would suit mine?? St 1 remap and de cat pipe. Iv got the 4 bar fpr on the way too.

Paul

I thought you was already running 350+ bhp prawn do you have a part number for the injectors you need as a friend of mine bought some uprated injectors for his a3 agu il ask him

There's these on the bay mate Bosch 440's

Item number: 180997576844

Last edited:
Reactions: Pmol66
Veeeeeeeeeeery old post mate :)

Thanks for your help though! I think I sorted this back in february by swapping a a set of 550's with some 440's from Dan :)

Running 353bhp at bosch 440's with 3 bar rail pressure, which is exactly what Niki said they'd do at the start of this year

:racer:

Didn't notice the date mate sorry lol always here to help prawn you car is amazing I'd love to see it probably will meet you at some point

What duty cycles do you see on the 440s? Do you have a supplemental pump?

To be honest Doug, my setup is freakish and shouldn't be fuelling as it does.

Duty cycles from VCDS appear maxxed, but when Niki asks it for more fuel, more fuel comes, and it'll do so right down into the 10's at the top end if requested. Mine runs 11.4:1 to the redline.

Currently on the stock pump from a 225 Leon. Got a walbro on it's way though to keep on top of it.

Niki said it's pretty unusual that an LCR pump will supply that much fuel

My suspicion would be that the injectors are spraying before and after the valve opening events. They're "overspraying" onto the closed valve tops to get the proper fuel. But if the car is happy, who cares. I just wish I understood what capabilities the ECU has for working around iffy fuel flows. As a point of comparison, I'm seeing over 90% injector duty with 500s running at 4bar. And I believe the car would be comparable power-wise.