To resonate or not to resonate?...................

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So what you guys think, im having my 3" XS power DP and de cat fitted on friday but at the same time im having a custom 3" exhaust built and fitted :) :), but i cant decide what to do.

Do i have it resonated or not.

They showed me a video of a leon cupra r with a 3" resonated system and it made 84.5DB at the loudest point, what do you think the none resonated will be like? I dont want it to be stupidly loud as i want to start doing track days and dont want to be band due to the noise but at the same time the leon sounded a bit too quiet and tame :(.

Thoughts?

I think most tracks like cars to be 98db or under, ask them if they can produce a non res system that will be quiet enough for track use, I think most stainless systems get a bit louder as they age.

Thought is was, also heard max track day noise is 108 but believe thats only a selected few.

Well was thinking of having non res then if too loud then add the silencer in.

I would go with a resonated system. Have one on mine and it is still louder than what I wanted. Alot of drone inside the car.

Iv got a non res it's to loud it's annoying, the only time I like it is when I'm giving it some beans but all the others its annoying

Reactions: Jakeybey
I've got a resonated system and it's plenty loud enough but it really depends on other exhaust mods you've got or got planned as even a manifold can make it louder but especially a decat and downpipe ;)

Thats what i dont want, i dont what it to be drony inside when say crusin etc.

Yeah ill be changing the manifold as well.

I had a miltek non res and it was epic and at no point droney when cruising just awesome popping flame spitting awesomeness

Thats what i like lol. Miltek arnt 3" though are they?

Thought so, just with it being 3" i worried itll be droney as hell in cabin lol, but i could just turn the radio up :) lol.

Im in my cousins b5 1.8tqs remapped with a turbo back miltek non reas exhaust and in my opinion it's too loud. It does drone on the motorway and isn't to my taste. I always think that the 1.8t engine is never really going to sound that great. Exhaust on a 4.2 or a 3.2 is another story.

I got a 3' scorpion resonated and it's quite drony inside. centre section is being changed tomorrow for a bespoke 2.75 inch with no resonator. Liquid metal explained 3' always tends to be drony on motorways etc. no idea why.

Sod it, think im going to go for non res, if i don't like it ill just get a silencer fitted lol.

I have to add another vote for the non resonated!

I have a 3'' downpipe, decat and miltek cat back and i have to say it sounds awesome.... and doesn't drone when
cruising at all.

even at motorway speeds it is a bit louder than standard but not too much

How loud are non res when driving around town, start up etc?

they don't sound too loud around town. when.it hits 3k it sounds like hell. go for it bud!

Or just get the smallest centre box they have put in. Will be somewhere in the middle then lol.

Dan, Mine had 3 inch downpipe and decat mated to a miltek un resonated system,
I wouldnt have it any other way,
Remember your doing all this to the car to make it more sporty... No sound track is a must.

when I git my turboback fitted, I cut out the resonator box,burbles at low revs and pops and bangs now.only when you floor it though

I think coming from a supercharged VR6 i found the 20V turbo to sound "gay" it was missing something...
The sound track that lets you know your having fun,
Even now i would gladly have a little bit more "raw" when i plant the "loud" pedal.

Ok im going for it, can wait. If your off friday payl nip through and see us lol

Where is doing it dan? EUK?
What time are you heading down?
i work till dinner on fridays

EUK mate.

Heading down first thing for opening 8.30, probly most of the day, my mate cooke (red s3 with the ****** dp) is having a 3" dp and decat fitted also so they should be busy boys lol.

They could have copied mine if i wasnt working,
But... needs must

exhaust, im guessing you already bought the downpipes each?
if i remember rightly its important to stay close to the body of the car and the rear haldex to keep good ground clearance

Yeah got xs ones each mate. Yeah ive already told them i want it close to the chassis to stop problems as im lowered but ive also stated i want it to be shaped around the rear haldex set up and not dinted to **** like some ive seen, maximum flow always in mind haha.

3 inch and a tight shape to clear the haldex and the the speed humps ... will be a tough job.
Before you pay make sure you drive through centertainment a couple of times or fine a speed hump or two

3 inch and a tight shape to clear the haldex and the the speed humps ... will be a tough job.
Before you pay make sure you drive through centertainment a couple of times or fine a speed hump or two

Good old centertainment! Im down Sheffield most weekends dani, you gOttawa show me what it sounds like.. Wanna see if it's any different to my cuz's B5 tqs

Got to love it, chav central lol. You down tomorrow gops?

Lol! Nah I'm down next on the 11th for 5 days! If your free give me a shout!

Just on the point way higher, if your planning on trackdays double check the noise limits - i think most tracks have knocked it down to 95dB now....

Its very very rare to find anything higher and a 'proper' circuit - we use trackdays as cheap test days in the race car (mainly to get me some more seat time and play with setup), we have to lie way more than usual about the max rpm of the engine to get through noise

Well had togo for res :(. 1. Its cheaper todo it this way then remove it if i want it louder. 2. Their back boxs are alot smaller than milteks etc and hardly have any baffling in so are generaly louder than most. Still camt wait though, should be done around 3 so just nipped over to pics :).

Well its all done :).

Took from 8.30 till 4.30 to do, was a bit of a nightmare, but they did do my mates s3 at the same time and fitted him a 3" DP and decat.

The noise is amazing, just sounds sssooooo good. Its not too loud, has a nice grumble/barbel on tick over and sounds nice on town driving but once opend up it sounds like a animal.

They also listened to my request of having it 3" all the way through, even around the rear diff, the only down side is, it sits a little low where it goes round the diff, as of yet i havent been over a island style speed bump so when i do my **** will be twitching like mad.

Havent had chance to get any pics/vids yet due to weather but i will do :).

if id seen the thred b4 i would have popped down and got you a decent discount

Aww dont say that now mate :( haha.

You sheff based bez?