Just When You Think All Is Going Well...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
While out today with my Mrs and daughter i heard a strange "dong" while driving on our nations great road surfaces but thought nothing of it...
As i was pulling out of a parking space i heard something catching on full lock... i got out to check and was shocked at what i saw to say the least
No pictures as of yet but...The ring that holds the top of the drop link to the shocker ( Koni Coilovers) has split and come off the shocker,

So... Anybody who knows of or has any coilovers or very good suspension PLEASE let me know, Be it on this thread or PM if its a problem with the management.

Im going to contact Koni and see if they will sell me the part in question or price up full replacements,

Aww mate sorry to hear, nowt worse is their when it all goes good then sumet just fooks up, texted you by the way.

Thankyou.
I need the car back up and useable as soon as I can.
A strange question , can I remove the drop links on the front to make the car safe to move ?

S3 Paul:1477530 said:
While out today with my Mrs and daughter i heard a strange "dong" while driving on our nations great road surfaces but thought nothing of it...
As i was pulling out of a parking space i heard something catching on full lock... i got out to check and was shocked at what i saw to say the least
No pictures as of yet but...The ring that holds the top of the drop link to the shocker ( Koni Coilovers) has split and come off the shocker,

So... Anybody who knows of or has any coilovers or very good suspension PLEASE let me know, Be it on this thread or PM if its a problem with the management.

Im going to contact Koni and see if they will sell me the part in question or price up full replacements,

sorry to hear that mate,even worse you had your Mrs and child in the car,glad nothing worse happend. speak to Damian at Dom performance. he sorted out a replacement coilover for me so I'm sure he could do the same for you. you don't have to buy a whole new set. let us know

Thankyou.
I don't suppose you have any contact details ?
Thanks again

Thankyou.
I don't suppose you have any contact details ?
Thanks again

It will do no harm to remove the drop links to make the car moveable. Your car will lean a bit more, in fact without it, you probably have more front end grip

Thanks lads. I will remove the wheel and have a Propper look and take a few pictures in the morning.
I could really do without spending the £1000 they set me back all over again

Sorry to hear about ur bad news mate but maybe it's best to replace all of them or find out wether this was just a one off on that side or if u replace that side sho k that any other ones won't play up either but wish u all the best and glad to hear no one was hurt

to save time, you only need to remove the one drop link as well dude.

Just be warned it'll make the car a bit more tail happy whilst you drive it like that.

Sorry to hear about this, not heard of an ARB tab snapping off before!

Thanks for the replys ,
Ive been out this morning to further look at the problem and make the car safe to move...
photo.jpg

This is what has snapped ,
It was a threaded sleave that sat at the bottom of the coilovers thread and its where the drop link bolted to,
photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Im hoping i can get hold of Koni and see what they say, It looks a very poor design to be honest,

F*** me mate, thats really bad, on my kw's theres a seperate attachment that attachs to the body of the coilover, nothing like yours. Hope yo get it sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet they have changed the design by now.
It's a shocking idea. Alloy ring as well.

the design should be so that the drop links break before anything, so this isnt good. At least you can drive it without the ARB linked up. I would get straight onto koni and get them send you a pair of new front struts! you dont spend that kind of money to expect things like that to happen

The only pictures I can find of koni coilovers now for my car don't look like mine anymore.
So I'm guessing they know it's a problem.
The new ones look like all other brands... A welded on braket

Well,
Finaly got the car back together, The coilover issue was a pig to sort,
Localy Koni sent me the parts i needed but the strip down and rebuild was a ****** !
I can not stress enough how important it is to grease/ seal the threads and lock rings and adjusters, We worked out that obviously the shunt from a pot hole broke the part but the weakness i think is that water can work its way inside the threaded lock rings and as it starts to go fuzzy trys to expand and the result was... it was easier to break.
I hope that makes sence!
Remember people , grease those rings