Booked in for new tyres tomorrow! Good price???

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally gonna get my crapy avons off the car (Well front two anyhow!)

Gonna get 2 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's fitted and balanced for £221 inclusive!

Now I think thats a bargain! Looking forward to seeng what all the fuss is about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

These Avons probably have about 2-3mm left and have started to go out of shape slightly (as most avons do so I am told!) so it feels like I have a wheel bearing gone!

Cant wait to get them off!
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally gonna get my crapy avons off the car (Well front two anyhow!)

Gonna get 2 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's fitted and balanced for £221 inclusive!

Now I think thats a bargain! Looking forward to seeng what all the fuss is about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

These Avons probably have about 2-3mm left and have started to go out of shape slightly (as most avons do so I am told!) so it feels like I have a wheel bearing gone!

Cant wait to get them off!
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

that a good price Rich .... and defo the right weather to be enjoying them.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thats a good price rich. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif
i'd also go for flush mount valves - got them on mine and i think they are very sexy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
i've just done 200miles in mine. so just about scrubbed them in and got done for speeding last night doh!! i guess my f1's may last a bit longer than yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
hope you enjoy them mate.

What size? 18's?

If so that is a good price. The cheapest I can get them for is £100 a corner, but that is for myself only.

Love my F1's to bits.

Had ZZ3s on my car for a while. Howling pieces of s**t. 'Avoid at all costs' as they say on ebay !
Sounded like all four bearings were going to explode. Avon reckoned they hadn't heard of any problem though. Muppets.
Mate has just put those F1s on his Leon. Hope they don't get to sound like the old goodyears.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
What size? 18's?

If so that is a good price. The cheapest I can get them for is £100 a corner, but that is for myself only.

Love my F1's to bits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, 18's! I'm well happy!

[ QUOTE ]
Had ZZ3s on my car for a while. Howling pieces of s**t. 'Avoid at all costs' as they say on ebay !
Sounded like all four bearings were going to explode. Avon reckoned they hadn't heard of any problem though. Muppets.
Mate has just put those F1s on his Leon. Hope they don't get to sound like the old goodyears.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]
Had 4 fitted on my car last week and they are the daddys, it had Avons on before ZZ3s and they were so noisey i also think the above i actually had Audi at the last service check my wheel bearings as i thought that they had all died. Now the tyres have been changed i know it was them....

ok guys ur all getting quite good deals on tyres but there is no mention of where!!!!!!!?

Getting mine fitted tonight at Harris Bros in Swansea! Probably a bit far for you to travel though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Try www.mytyres.co.uk for good internet prices. You just need to get them fitted then!

Rich.

I had ZZ1s originally, and they were really noisy. Avon replaced them with ZZ3s, they were ok for a while but after about 7K they were exactly the same as the ZZ1s. Yours will be exactly the same soon.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
I had ZZ1s originally, and they were really noisy. Avon replaced them with ZZ3s, they were ok for a while but after about 7K they were exactly the same as the ZZ1s. Yours will be exactly the same soon.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ZZ1's are like this now, hence one of the reasons for changing. Sounds like my bearings have gone!

Can't wait to get them off and get the F1's on!

Rich.

Its something to do with the tread pattern. Big block patterns apparently give better traction but generate a lot of noise. I've gone to p-zero nero now which are assymetric not directional. Don't seem to be lasting though. Oddly the rears are wearing faster than the fronts.

Chris.

Brittannia tyres was £201 all in for two!!

Had my tyres fitted tonight and I'm well happy! Got them both fitted for £220 without any damage to the alloys!

Got to bed them in now! looking forward to seeing what they can do!

Interesting post. I've just had 4 new ZZ3's (after being recommended on here) fitted to my S3, and I'm pleased with the results so far.

I was on the standard Pilots that came with the car before these, and they were awful..

As far as noise goes, they seem fine and grip is also fine, even after pushing them in the rain on old B roads.

Is the suggestion that these Avon's deteriate after about 7K in terms of noise etc?

I really can't afford to be spending another 440 squid so so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I believe the ZZ3's are a lot better than the ZZ1's that I had.

Not sure weather they will go out of shape as they wear but if they are anything like the ZZ1's then they will.

Anyone else got any comments?

This was my experience with the ZZ1s and the ZZ3s. Both went exactly the same way. Run your hand around the tyre and you can feel steps and ridges in the pattern, to the extent that mine actually had bald patches on them.
Engineer at Avon said there must be a problem with my shock absorbers. They had been changed on warranty before I put the wheels and tyres on !
He then said "Don't S3s come with 17" wheels?" I said that 18s were a factory option and he started saying it was a non standard fitment, therefore the geometry was not set up for 225/40/18s.
Work it out for yourself. I know what I think. Buy cheap, buy twice ! Once bitten and all that.

Chris.

Getting F1 Eagles too on Saturday!!

Im running on P Zero Rosso's (235x40x18) must say the handling is A1 but a bit noisy and lasted just over 20k but still a good tyre.

I had ZZ1s on my old car and ZZ3s on the S3 currently and they are utter crap .. cant wait for the ****** things to wear down. They've worn down the centres too despite the tyres being underinflated. Cheap, nasty .. F1s or T1Rs for me next. Heard good things about the Michelins too but they're a lot more $$$

Adam