4 pot brembos front and rear

AARON77

Reaction score
Been thinking bout my brakes for sometime now. I was gonna go with six pots on the front as they look awesome?
But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the stopping power I have, and it's only in the last year that I have the disc and pad setup that totally suits my driving :)

So anyway! what I'd like to do is have 4 pot brembos all round! The reason for this is I want all the discs and callipers to be the same size so that it looks nice and symmetrical, and not only that I have a spare pair of discs in the garage.

Would I need to change the servo?
Has anyone done this conversion ?

It's usually the handbrake that becomes the issue as most brembos and 4 pots don't have the built in mechanical hand brake so you usually need a second little Caliper to do the hand brake ;)

The rear calipers are always significantly smaller than the fronts because otherwise you'd swap ends any time you tried to stop quickly.

I've no idea what calipers or disks you currently have, and without that cant really make any suggestions for what you should use on the rear. "Brembo" tells us nothing, we need to know disk diameter, and piston sizes.

As Stacey says however, 4 pot calipers dont have a handbrake mechanism, so running 4 pot rears will require an additional handbrake caliper to be fitted.

I've no idea what calipers or disks you currently have, and without that cant really make any suggestions for what you should use on the rear. "Brembo" tells us nothing, we need to know disk diameter, and piston sizes. [\QUOTE]

I'm using 4pot brembo gt juniors calipers on the front with 324mm discs 0( I think) and standard s3 on the rear
Just want it to all look the same as when I get my car back I'm going on a serious tidy mission
If can do the 4x 4 pot conversion I defo want to even if it means having a small calliper for the handbrake
But if you have really good alternative idea pls fire away

as said above - if your intention is to effectively put front brakes all round then i wouldn't really advise it. the servo/booster might not be able to handle the extra hydraulic area never mind the fact that you will hit the brakes hard and swap ends very easily.....

I have run even brake splits on race cars but thats only with very competent drivers and cars that are designed to run loose and slide round corners - not advised for the road

Ok so something like the porsche 996/boxster rear caliper would probably work ok on the rear end. They have very small pistons, still slightly bigger than the S3 rear caliper, but small enough that they shouldnt cause you too much of an issue.

However they probably wont fit over 323mm disks, and using them with such a large disk will bring back the bias issues mentioned above.

If you wanted to use them you'd have to stick to a smaller disk, or you'd be back to risking swapping ends under braking.

Reactions: Stef's3
Ok so something like the porsche 996/boxster rear caliper would probably work ok on the rear end. They have very small pistons, still slightly bigger than the S3 rear caliper, but small enough that they shouldnt cause you too much of an issue.

However they probably wont fit over 323mm disks, and using them with such a large disk will bring back the bias issues mentioned above.

If you wanted to use them you'd have to stick to a smaller disk, or you'd be back to risking swapping ends under braking.
Don't wanna be having any of those dangerous issues that your tlking about!
So thanx I defo taken that onboard :)
So my idea of a symmetrical setup is out the window
What size discs would you recommend for the rear if was to use the 996 calliper

Thanx again

first thing you want to do is calculate how much you've upgraded the fronts by compared to stock.
Then do the same for the rears. If proportionally this currently leans frontwards, then you can go bigger on the rear.

I'll take a guess that the car was a 1.8T on standard 288mm front disks with 54mm pistons and 232mm rears with 38mm pistons.

We'll put a random bias figure of 70:30 on this as thats more or less where the stock bias ends up.

You're now running 323mm LCR Brembos and 256mm S3 rears, both of which have roughly the same size pistons as the original calipers.

This means you've increased your front braking power by approx 11%, and your rear by about 10%, ie everythings currently balanced.

ie still 70:30

Switching to the porsche rear calipers and keeping your existing rear disks, would increase the rear braking effort by a further 16%

This alone would move the brake bias to 66:33. Probably acceptable, but certainly reducing the safety margin the manufactuer designed in. However if you happen to have lightened the car for instance, you might find the bias has already been shifted due to the reduced weight over the rear end, and this slight change may well be enough to push it over the edge.

if you were then to put 288 disks on, in place of the existing 256 disks, that would increase the rear braking effort by a further 12%, taking the bias to 64:36. At this point things are probably getting a bit on the sketchey side.

So really, trying the porsche calipers on your existing rear disk is about as far as i would suggest you go.

You might be able to find some other rear caliper with smaller pistons than the porsche one, which will allow you to use larger disks.

i have some rear brembos from a porsche 944 that would be ideal, all you'd need is a bracket made up and some discs to match....

i want them gone so open to offers.....

img0599vy.jpg

28/30? ...+16% and then depending on what size disk you can get after custom carriers

Last edited:
Why don't you paint the OE rear ones red and get some Brembo stickers from eBay???

Only joking.

Ignore changing the rears, paint them nice and shiny red and get some good discs and pads. Then go POW on the fronts!!! Yeahhhh buddy!!

Just heard you can get device that sorts out the issues the pat your all talking about ?
Is this rite ?
Has anyone heard of it ?

I bias valve isn't going to work wel with an ABS system at all.

Seriously dude, in the politest possible way, just give up on this one. There is no benefit to having such large rear brakes, all your going to do it make the car unstable.

If you really MUST go all out, I'd suggest sellig your brembos for £4-500, getting some BIG fronts like compbrake 356's, and then coupling that with something like ECS stage 1 rears or the compbrake rears that Andrew@ALD has

I bias valve isn't going to work wel with an ABS system at all.

Seriously dude, in the politest possible way, just give up on this one. There is no benefit to having such large rear brakes, all your going to do it make the car unstable.

I hear you prawn
It really is just a looks thing, I'm totally happy with the way it stops
Will check out all what you suggest thanx dude

If you really MUST go all out, I'd suggest sellig your brembos for £4-500, getting some BIG fronts like compbrake 356's, and then coupling that with something like ECS stage 1 rears or the compbrake rears that Andrew@ALD has

The compbrakes are well good value
I like

So this means I'm defo gonna need a second Caliper for the handbrake
Mmmmmm
Really trying to tidy the car up ! Don't know if this will look a bit cluttered

yea, but anyone can get an MOT on anything if they happen to have enough 'spare' beer in the boot.....

MTM used to do a rear 4 pot kit years ago with the handbrake Caliper but have looked and never had any luck when searching for it but have seen 1 or 2 cars with the conversion on it on the net /)