Anyone replaced rear wiper motor?

benk

Reaction score
Hi,
HTC posted an excellent series of pics about the rear wiper motor and how it can leak and seize up, etc.

My motor is on the way out: it has started leaking (sprays into the inside of the boot) and the jet doesn't spray straight up (if they follow the wiper they're starting to seize up), and the wiper often pauses multiple times instead of doing a nice there-and-back single motion.

What I want to know is: if I order a new motor, what do I get? Is it the whole unit, including the pump, motor, and screw/pipe that goes through the rear window and attaches to the wiper?
Any ideas of cost and where would people buy from? I think it would be easy to fit myself (I already have boot trim removed).
Thanks,
B

I had the same problem with mine.

Give vagparts.com a call, I'm sure it comes as a whole unit ie motor, pump, spray nozzle and nut. I got one off Ebay for a Mk4 Golf. The only difference is that the motor is wired the other way round ie wipes from right to left instead of the Audi's left to right. I could change the wires around on the motor but it's one of those jobs you mean to do but never get round to doing.

Ok, thanks. Was going to call vagparts for price quote. I think they're about 50 quid +VAT. I just want to get it done before I put boot trim back on, as I never want to have to heave that off again.

I thought they were about £65 + Vodka And Tonic for a non-OE one.

Yup, GSF want about £65 + the dreaded.

The motor unit includes the pipe that runs to the window as its integral. The screw part that pokes through the window is also part of the motor.

Basically you get what you can see below.
10-FluidRoute.jpg

The pump is located in the engine bay and should be fine.

You need to reuse the small jet, but first check that it isn't blocked. You also reuse the wiper, cap, and mounting nuts from your old motor.

crikey, just shy of 80quid for that? Hmm. Maybe some hunting around first. Thanks guys.

Try one of the online breakers yards that deliver to your door. I've had some good sucess with them + the parts a guarenteed for a few months.

Just took a stroll to a nearby Audi/VW place and mentioned wiper motors - it seems that Audi actually sell a repair kit for the rear wiper motor, price is about 22 pounds +VAT.

I have ordered one and should collect it tomorrow. Can't remember what parts (about 8 I think) are included but it should definitely include the fluid pipe that shears off.

Will post more details (inc pics) when I get around to trying it.

The guy at this place (Wheelbase, Hersham, Surrey) remembered it - it's only listed in German on the parts list, but they once used it to repair a customer's motor.

did mine at the weekend.
Got a brand new factory part from Ebay £20 delivered.

Yes it was, and it sits at the wrong side, but I think if I take the gears out the old one it should sit properly.
Stealer wanted £100 for a proper job!
web page

Ok, this is what you get in the repair kit for the rear wiper motor:
(part number 8L0 998 711, cost 22 pounds + VAT)

http://www.audi-sport.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=995&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

You basically get the main fluid pipe and connector, a new paper seal for the wiper motor casing, a new nozzle for the jet, a couple of new rubber rings to sit around the top end of the main wiper shaft, and a brand new wiper shaft. Oh, and two small tubes of grease (different types it would seem).
The wiper shaft connects to the main motor gear in the existing motor. They probably provide this because the top part of the fluid pipe presumably rusts itself to the inside of the old shaft.
You only get 2 new torx screws for the casing - the extras are mine I happen to have put into the bag for now.

So, there you go.
I'll be attempting my repair at the weekend if weather is warm. I expect the hardest parts to be getting the fluid hose off the old fluid pipe connector, and getting the wiper itself off the top of the main shaft - it really didn't want to budge last time I tried to remove it.

Good work BK1. I'll add the photo to the bottom of my other post.

When I was at my local dealer thet assured me that there was no repair kit and I would have to buy the motor complete!

Now we know different.

HTC: when you worked on yours, did you have problems getting the wiper arm off the spindle?
When I tried I removed the cap, undid the nut, and heaved on the wiper arm, but it was hard to get a good grip with fingertips between the glass and the end of the wiper arm, and pulling just tugged the whole motor towards the glass - I could see it moving through the window..

Any tips much appreciated.
Thanks,
B

[ QUOTE ]
HTC: when you worked on yours, did you have problems getting the wiper arm off the spindle?
When I tried I removed the cap, undid the nut, and heaved on the wiper arm, but it was hard to get a good grip with fingertips between the glass and the end of the wiper arm, and pulling just tugged the whole motor towards the glass - I could see it moving through the window..

Any tips much appreciated.
Thanks,
B

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it a few knocks with a rubber mallet and it will losen of all the crap thats built up over the years.

I changed my rear wiper last night for the aero type and had the same problem. A few gentle knocks with the rubber handle of my hammer free'd it up nicely.

Hope this helps
Rich.