New to the site, have a slight issue!

Tom-E

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this site but had a good look around for advice etc, just bought a 2001 AMK S3 and loving every minute of it, what an awesome car. However, the only issue I have found so far is there seems to be a knocking, the only way I can describe it is that it happens when driving along (not on lock or anything) and when I go over bumpy bits of road, it sounds like something slapping the bottom of the car (if that makes sense!!) appears to be coming from the front n/s, but that's just a guess. I've had a look myself and theres nothing obviously loose, and I had the exhaust looked at yesterday, which is absolutely fine. Could anyone shed any light on this?!!

Tom

Arb bushes will be worn.. Anti roll bar bushes. £3 each. I know I haven't seen the car and it's only going what you've told us but from experience I'd go with at. Take you an hour to replace both, and if it's not them it's a good place to start.

Awesome, I fitted a white line ARB on my old mk4 golf so have a rough idea of where they go. Cheers for the quick response, I'll get some pics up soon!

Another vote for the drop links. About £20 each and an easy diy job to change, just remember to jack the whole front of the car up as only jacking one side twists the ARB so you'll never get the old one off.

Mine was ball joints but i'll go for drop links too!

Thanks for all the help people. Took it into my local fast fit place today and they decided it was the nearside front drop link, so this has been replaced.... and guess what, still doing the same thing! Im going to get hold of some ARB bushes tomorrow (believe I need 19mm ones) and do it myself, although Im aware if the plastic collars on the ARB are worn itll mean a new ARB, but trying this for now. Just a quickie though, can I do this with the car on ramps or do I need to axle stand it, to take the weight off the ARB? Probably a silly question but thought I'd ask lol. Cheers people

Nice one, cheers mate. Now to hunt down some 19mm ones, euro car parts' website only shows 18mm's.... The search continues, lol.

Just an update, got under the car yesterday and had a look at the bushes, they seem fine, don't look worn and can't slide the bar from side to side, so I'm starting to think this small irritating knock is a bit more serious! Just wondered if anyone had any more thoughts.

On a brighter note, took the injectors out and cleaned them using a great guide on here, what a difference! Going to attempt the n249 delete today, it's all go, lol..l

****** it, going to do these bushes anyway to rule it out, for the sake of a few quid. Watch this space!

Last edited:
Quick update, found the problem - the other drop link! Lol. Want a job doing, do it yourself. Replaced the arb bushes as well, mine must've had a new arb at some point as it doesn't have the plastic sleeves - bonus. So glad the knockings gone, I can sleep at night now! Lol. Had a check around everywhere else, ball joints, wishbones, all bushes etc, all looks good.

Did the n249 delete yesterday as well, car seems much more responsive now, and smoother. Will be using a few of the guides on here for other bits & bobs too, so thanks to the people that post them. :)