Friggin coilpacks gone and audi are being tight about it!!!

Gops

Badger 5 Edition
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well today on the way to work my car sounded like a scooby so i knew straight away that one of the coilpacks were gone.. Rang audi and they refused to do the repairs under the coilpack recall, which ok its not on the scheme but end of the day its still the s3 and tried to charge me £143 an hour + diagnostic charge. Anyone with an APY engine got it recalled? need some ammunition on these idiots!!! Any help is good help lads, cheers!

Gops

Its dependant on the type of coils, rather than the model of car.

Only the "push in" coils are under the scheme, and its not a recall as such. If it were a recall they'd have to notify all the owners, whereas this is just something they're doing themselves if its asked about.

I suspect your APY will have bolt down coils, and thus is not covered.

Not seen to many (if any) screw downs go faulty if they are genuine ones... seen the Beru ones go by just removing them from the box... Hitachi are the ones to get iirc...

The ones ECP typically sell are Beru....

<tuffty/>

Damn! Mine are genuine aswel! The connectors for the push down and bolt on seem the same.. S3 RAV has one I can try as it seems only 1 has gone kaput! Does anyone know for sure if the connectors are same?

Update - If many of you have me on your BookFace then you'd know i got the RAC to fit it coz it was cold and i was being lazy lol. Took them 4 hours to come to me even though i said i have a pregnant lady in my car.. but hey it was Cylinder 1 but strangely he couldnt find a fault and it didnt pull up the engine management light? Should it of done that? Ive managed to get 4 coilpacks for £28 each. The guy did find some oil in the coilpack holes though so i thinks i'll have to get the rockercover gasket changed too. Major thanks to Rav for lending me his spare coil! Owe you bro! Will the Push down coils be ok for my bolt down rocker cover as it was abit loose when i put it in!

same hole in camcover and head so should be ok
its probably the oil that makes them feel loose
reseal the camcover mate

Cam covers on APY/AGU (bolt down) and AMK/BAM/AUM (push in) engines are different and the push in coil packs will work but will not be supported at the top and the vibrations from the engine will eventually have more of an effect of their longevity than it would normally...

Option could be to get the cam cover from a later engine (seeing as you need to do the gasket anyway) and that would be a fix or go for TFSI coils and adaptors

<tuffty/>

Its dependant on the type of coils, rather than the model of car.

Only the "push in" coils are under the scheme, and its not a recall as such. If it were a recall they'd have to notify all the owners, whereas this is just something they're doing themselves if its asked about.

I suspect your APY will have bolt down coils, and thus is not covered.

I have push in coils on a AUM and one went a couple of weeks back. I bought a new coil pack from Audi, anyway the parts man said "have you owned the car from new?"
Which I replied "no I'm the third owner"
He said "Thats a shame, if you had owned the vehicle from new we would have replaced all 4 for free"

What difference does that make!! Have I got an argument here??

Ta

Steve

I have push in coils on a AUM and one went a couple of weeks back. I bought a new coil pack from Audi, anyway the parts man said "have you owned the car from new?"
Which I replied "no I'm the third owner"
He said "Thats a shame, if you had owned the vehicle from new we would have replaced all 4 for free"

What difference does that make!! Have I got an argument here??

Ta

Steve

There is a recall for coil packs... he is talking cobblers tbh as loads of peeps have had theirs replaced and they haven't owned the cars from new...

<tuffty/>

Cam covers on APY/AGU (bolt down) and AMK/BAM/AUM (push in) engines are different and the push in coil packs will work but will not be supported at the top and the vibrations from the engine will eventually have more of an effect of their longevity than it would normally...

Option could be to get the cam cover from a later engine (seeing as you need to do the gasket anyway) and that would be a fix or go for TFSI coils and adaptors

<tuffty/>

Probably will get the tfsi coils but just waiting On bills adaptors! I've got 4 normal coils on order for now because the other three may go and I do long distance over the weekend so better off waiting really.. Cheers for your help tufty!