New calipers fitted today,epic fail,massive overheating but wothout braking

Metro

Error
Reaction score
Hi, as title suggests, my brakes are binding terribly on both rear calipers which I replaced today (I did the fronts a few weeks ago with brilliant results) ...

Firstly, removed old disks, pads and calipers. Painted the area in rust primer and painted over after, thought it would be worth my while since the car was up on stands. Anyway, proceded to clean and regrease the sliders, put brand new disks on, fitted the new (reconned) calipers with new greenstuff pads, made sure everything was tight and not going to fall off.
After flushing the system through (front and back) I was happy there was no air bubbles coming from the bleed nipples on all 4 corners (bleed order RL, RR, FL, FR which I hope was right unless you can tell me other wise?)) cracked the wheels back on. Both rears were spinning freely.. Until I used the brakes, this is where it went tits up... Rears (still on stands) were now locked and wouldn't spin, checked everything and there was nothing obviously wrong. Took it off the stands and took it round the block to see if that would ease it off, which it did.. Took it out again and after a mile (of spongy breaks) there was a horrible squealing noise so pulled over to find my disks were very very hot... Let them cool down for 20mins and got on my way home. When I got home, the RR disk was cold where the RL disk was blisteringly hot...

Any ideas what to do? Handbrake is very slack by the way.. Idealy I need it fixed myself by 10am if it's not fixed my then then ill take it to my neerest garage and get ripped off, not ideal but I'd have to...

Thankyou for your time

Im guessing your handbrake levers are not returning properly.
Either a faulty caliper or cable.
Release the cables from the calipers and see if it still sticks.

The pistons were as wound back as they would go when they arrived, didnt have a proper tool for it but I used some skinny pliers in the grooves like the Haynes manual said, piston was flush with the rim of the boot when i fitted the pads. Could dirt or an airlock cause this?

I also checked the hand brake levers, they are working fine on both sides, not sticking.

Thanks for the replies

I made the mistake of not winding the pistons back on my 106 GTI and had a similar issue.
The pads wore down to metal within a week, then I could smell burning and the caliper over heated that much the paint came off.
Required a new calipers, at least now I'll never forget to wind the piston back in.
Just my experience that could be related to yours.

Found the problem.. The ebc greenstuff pads come with little metal shims, took the pads off and the shims on the piston side were extremely bent on both sides. Took them off and gave the brakes a little bit of another bleed just incase there was the airlock, which I suspected anyway. Took it out and all seems well, no binding atall. Although there is a squeaking from the rear DS which there was before (although not as bad before and i suspected that to be the old brakes!) new calipers pads and disks. Any other ideas on what could cause this? Bent hubs? Bearing?

Cheers