How many mm's or threads of the wheel bolts should go into the hubs (2001 s3)

hank3944

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone knows of if there is any official data on this.

Basically I have removed my 17" avus wheels and put on x 2 audi 18" et35 & x 2 aftermarket 18" wheels et33, I noticed when I was putting the old bolts in the new wheels It felt like the wheel brace did not have as many revolutions as usual. I may be being paranoid but I thought I should investigate further as kwik fit gave me the following disclamer statement when they fitted them. "kwik fit does not take any responsibility for any wrong sizes of wheel bolts or incorrect offsets and cannot be of blame if any damages should occcur, blah blah"

Thanks Guys.

What ET are the Avus rims?

If I were you I'd buy bolts that are longer by the increase of the offset to ET33. You can get them on the bay for not much cash.

If you run on bolts with not enough thread in the hub they could become fatigued and worst case snap.

Iirc you have to have 6 or 7 turns of the bolt which will be 6/7 x pitch of the bolt which I'm pretty sure is 1.5mm which would give you 10mm depth
But gotta admit if I was unsure I would get some off of eBay like warren says as I got 20 bolts for £20 2 weeks ago :)

My TPI spacer kit specifically says.there should be 12mm minimum in the hub.
The tpi kits come with bolts and supply (in my kit) a 42mm bolt for a 15mm spacer.

With the sizes you mentioned you will be ok, as youve not said you're running spacers. S3 wheels are 17x7.5 et32 so your new wheels should fit and look the same. However, you mention you have 2 audi and 2 aftermarket. aftermarket wheels require a different TYPE of bolt. A tapered bolt as opposed to a radius bolt for the oem. Give it a google.

If I were you id spec the right bolt for the wheels. and if you plan on spacers, new bolts will be needed to be safe.

Just thought id add that an increase or decrease in offset doesnt mean longer or shorter bolts. The wheel should still have the same width between the bolt/wheel face and wheel/hub face.

Last edited:
Have you checked the bolt seats on your new wheels? The OE Audi ones should be domed like your Avus, but the aftermarket ones are likely to be conical. If you're trying to put a domed bolt into a conical wheel that might reduce the number of turns you can get.

I have been tinkering this lunchtime, and I have found the following:

I have 5 1/2 turns on the front (15mm of bolt sticking out from wheel which is 5mm into disc (non threaded) and 10mm into hub)
and 7 1/2 turns on the back (20mm of bolt sticking out from wheel which is 5mm into disc (non threaded) and 15mm into hub)

I did a precise measurement with a bic biro stuck into the hub holes and it turns out there is only 10 mm of hub thread to stick into anyway, so this should make me ok shouldnt it?

Re assure me guys :-(

Yeh the hub is usually only 6 threads wide, and all 6 threads should be engaged. The stock bolts are only just long enough to achieve this, so any spacers used require your bolts to be longer by the thickness of the spacer.

The disk is sometimes more like 7 or 8 mm thick, but if your measurements are accurate then you should be fine.

just come across this thread, i've bought some merc GL wheels and the standard audi bolts aren't long enough, can someone help me with what size bolts i need? i can only get about 2-3 threads in the hub,
thanks

just noticed this is in the a3 section i assume they'll be the same bolts for my b7 a4 though? i can only find 35mm on ebay, do you think these will be ok, i think my audi ones are about 25mm?
thanks

The only answer i can give is "probably"

If they're too long they will poke out too far and catch on the upright, but if thats the only option then you'll have to get the longer ones and have them shortened slightly.

Just dont romp them up until your sure. Wind them in slowly and turn the wheel to ensure they're not catching. Maybe even look from the otherside if you can.