Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sportstractor

Thread: Pothole!!!!!

1st Gear

Status

Pothole!!!!!

I hate potholes. Straight across a pothole earlier as I couldn't swerve it otherwise it would be goodbye to my whole car! Damage below, all the other 3 are still perfect but still maybe because my car is so low it felt like I ran over a horse. Now I'm thinking of buying one genuine rs4 wheel and selling the set and getting some BBS Chs?? replicas, but thoughts anyone? Anyhow, check it out below. Now I've put my old wheels back on (completely standard) and lowered my coilovers completely... I am now a snow plow. Guess this will do until I sort it out, I've rang up the highway agencies and hopefully they can help me with the £ side.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add egesford on Facebook
    pm me if you decide to sell those wheels

5th Gear

Status
    Hope you get some £ for it as the roads are in a right mess
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

Neutral

Status
    this happened to my dad in his lexus and the council turned round to him and sed nothin we can do!! he was raging!!!

Audi WAudi

Status
    They generally pay out if the hole has been reported before.

1st Gear

Status
    well luck has it my mate ruined the wheels on his leon cupra R a week before on the same pothole!! lets hope i can get some sort of £

5th Gear

Status

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

5th Gear

Status
    Must have been as big as the pothole in the video below!,good luck hope all goes wel!

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Brum brum

Status
    Ouch. Good luck with the council. As sinic says if it's already been reported then the council are liable if they haven't done anything about it. If not, they'll just plead the section 58 defence (which basically states a highway authority cannot be expected to have an up to date view on every road, so providing it is inspected (probably annually) and the fault wasn't there then, they can't be expected to know about it). As I say, this breaks down if it has been reported.

I had my own pothole incident yesterday whilst on my bike. Was forced into riding into this by a less than generous car driver passing me.

Blew both front and rear inner tubes with pinch punctures. I was fuming. Fortunately was close to a bike shop to bought 2 new tubes and borrowed their track pump to get 100psi back in them.

I'm hoping that the fact that the road was resurfaced last autumn, and the fact that there is a big white cross sprayed on the drain cover means that it was identified after the resurfacing as at fault, but they haven't done anything about it. OK, it was only £9.98 for the two inner tubes, but it's the principle of the thing!
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

1st Gear

Status
    That's too bad mate, such an annoyance considering how much road tax we pay! All the best with the claim.

I must say thou I acctually like your car on the standard rims, if you spaced the rears out I reckon it would look even better!!

Just mind your subframe/sump now cos that is decked!!
    "Oh shut up you tart!"

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N4THW View Post
    well luck has it my mate ruined the wheels on his leon cupra R a week before on the same pothole!! lets hope i can get some sort of £
    Ouch! having had three tyres trashed in 18 months due to potholes I feel for you, I'm assuming you didnt know about your Leon driving buddys encounter with the pothole before yours. good luck with the council hope you get a result.
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

1st Gear

Status
    Will do mate, thanks for the comments. I'm hoping I can get some sort of justice!

As for the decked comment, that is correct.. thought why not now she isn't on 18 inch rims? lol below shows just how low! speed bumps

1st Gear

Status
    to anyone interested im selling my GENUINE rstt alloys now with brand new tyres, pm me if interested, will sell for a good price

link:

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    The damaged wheel was a rep I presume?
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

thats me

Status
    I got a payout from the council when I hit a pothole even stung them for Audi tracking
    red to red black to black blue to bits

BOOM BOOM

Status
    I usually kill around 5 wheels a year, I've started early this year. This was last week, I still have a horrendous knocking noise from the front! I really must see what it is lol

1st Gear

Status
    If you measure the depth of the pothole & photograph it ( with out being run over ) I think as long as its deeper than 44mil you are legally entitled to a claim. Or be as sly as the local council & spray some yellow paint round the hole, let the traffic run over it for a day or so then photograph it - stating that the council have already earmarked it to be repaired !! Ie the yellow paint...........
    You be surprised at the reaction. I work with north Yorkshire council & they **** scared of pot hole claims..............

2nd Gear

Status
    Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    The damaged wheel was a rep I presume?
    reps are actually stronger than genuine Audi rims... I believe genuine ones are made of some sort of magnesium alloy (or something!?) which is nice and light but is more likely to bend

. . . Of course this is purely second hand knowledge but it's from a reputable source and makes sense to me!

Chugger

Status
    make sure you try claim!

it might make them take notice. Im fed up of seeing council road workers, on the road fixing things that arnt really a problem, classic setup is 2 blokes working, 12 blokes watching, then potholes go for too long untouched...
    Last edited by sportstractor; 24th January 2012 at 16:00. Reason: txt talk...
    N4THW likes this.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

1st Gear

Status
    ok update to it all.. also it was a GENUINE audi wheel lol! (now selling the set of 3 genuine ones with brand new tyres if anyone is interested)

ok so i rang up today and i've made a claim about it... i've got photographic evidence of where it happened and of my wheel etc. good thing is it happened to my mate and he made a claim about a week before i rang up... they said something about going to check where it happened tomorrow or thursday and they are getting back to me?????hrm.... we will c.I WILL WIN THIS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N4THW View Post
    ok update to it all.. also it was a GENUINE audi wheel lol! (now selling the set of 3 genuine ones with brand new tyres if anyone is interested)

ok so i rang up today and i've made a claim about it... i've got photographic evidence of where it happened and of my wheel etc. good thing is it happened to my mate and he made a claim about a week before i rang up... they said something about going to check where it happened tomorrow or thursday and they are getting back to me?????hrm.... we will c.I WILL WIN THIS
    Good luck.

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Good luck dude, hope some good comes of this!!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Slag View Post
    reps are actually stronger than genuine Audi rims... I believe genuine ones are made of some sort of magnesium alloy (or something!?) which is nice and light but is more likely to bend

. . . Of course this is purely second hand knowledge but it's from a reputable source and makes sense to me!
    Genuine RS4 rims from a B5 RS4 are made of magnesium and they had buckling issues when they came out! Audi TT/A3/S3 fitment ones are commonly known as RSTTs which are slightly stronger, but weight a lot more.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

1st Gear

Status
    I feel your pain, I somehow managed to catch the edge of a pothole in my RS4 today - I've owned it a week! so gutted
    97 Green 1.8T - Stage 1 R-Tech map - SOLD

2001 B5 RS4 Avant - Misano Red - SOLD

Reverse Gear

Status
    i thought they put something in place so you could get the damage paid for?, if you take a picture of the hole and give its location and send the pictures of your damaged wheel etc. its a joke considering how much we pay in road tax.

you might have already done this but check out potholes.co.uk for advise, good luck

2nd Gear

Status
    Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Genuine RS4 rims from a B5 RS4 are made of magnesium and they had buckling issues when they came out! Audi TT/A3/S3 fitment ones are commonly known as RSTTs which are slightly stronger, but weight a lot more.
    Thatwould also make sense as it was the previous owner/manager of AMDtelling me about a high-powered B5 RS4 that buckled wheels on heavylaunches so they used reps. . . Would like to see that tho!

4th Gear

Status
    damn those potholes i feel for u bro had enough headaches on the past with them in my areas!! just hope my new wheels have better luck but also selling my 18 inch replica ones for only £130 or near offers if u need any spares lol

1st Gear

Status
    half tempting - i might just need a spare...
    97 Green 1.8T - Stage 1 R-Tech map - SOLD

2001 B5 RS4 Avant - Misano Red - SOLD

5th Gear

Status
    Just came across this site

http://potholes.co.uk/

Might be of help to some. Hope it is
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

Neutral

Status
    That sucks i feel your pain mate
    Current Rides:

Q7: 2007 Audi Q7 3.7FSI Black
    S3: 2000 Audi 1.8T Phantom Black, 17" Avus, Remus Cat Back, Forge DV, BMC Filter

SOLD:
    A6: 2007 Audi 2.0T FSI CVT, Oyster Grey Sedan, 18" R36 Rims,
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Manual, Black - Mods: Wett 1.1 Bar chip, 17" RS4 Replica Rims, Gauge,
    A6: 2000 Audi A6 2.4i Avant, Tiptronic. Stock standard except riding on 17" Rims
    TT: 2005 Audi TT Roadster 6 speed Auto, Phantom Black, 18" RS4 Rims