Pothole!!!!!

N4THW

Reaction score
I hate potholes. Straight across a pothole earlier as I couldn't swerve it otherwise it would be goodbye to my whole car! :( Damage below, all the other 3 are still perfect :icon_thumright: but still maybe because my car is so low it felt like I ran over a horse. Now I'm thinking of buying one genuine rs4 wheel and selling the set and getting some BBS Chs?? replicas, but thoughts anyone? Anyhow, check it out below. Now I've put my old wheels back on (completely standard) and lowered my coilovers completely... I am now a snow plow. Guess this will do until I sort it out, I've rang up the highway agencies and hopefully they can help me with the £ side.

this happened to my dad in his lexus and the council turned round to him and sed nothin we can do!! he was raging!!!

They generally pay out if the hole has been reported before.

well luck has it my mate ruined the wheels on his leon cupra R a week before on the same pothole!! lets hope i can get some sort of £

Must have been as big as the pothole in the video below!,good luck hope all goes wel!

Ouch. Good luck with the council. As sinic says if it's already been reported then the council are liable if they haven't done anything about it. If not, they'll just plead the section 58 defence (which basically states a highway authority cannot be expected to have an up to date view on every road, so providing it is inspected (probably annually) and the fault wasn't there then, they can't be expected to know about it). As I say, this breaks down if it has been reported.

I had my own pothole incident yesterday whilst on my bike. Was forced into riding into this by a less than generous car driver passing me.
DSC00016.jpg

Blew both front and rear inner tubes with pinch punctures. I was fuming. Fortunately was close to a bike shop to bought 2 new tubes and borrowed their track pump to get 100psi back in them.

I'm hoping that the fact that the road was resurfaced last autumn, and the fact that there is a big white cross sprayed on the drain cover means that it was identified after the resurfacing as at fault, but they haven't done anything about it. OK, it was only £9.98 for the two inner tubes, but it's the principle of the thing!

That's too bad mate, such an annoyance considering how much road tax we pay! All the best with the claim.

I must say thou I acctually like your car on the standard rims, if you spaced the rears out I reckon it would look even better!!

Just mind your subframe/sump now cos that is decked!!

well luck has it my mate ruined the wheels on his leon cupra R a week before on the same pothole!! lets hope i can get some sort of £

Ouch! having had three tyres trashed in 18 months due to potholes I feel for you, I'm assuming you didnt know about your Leon driving buddys encounter with the pothole before yours. good luck with the council hope you get a result.

Will do mate, thanks for the comments. I'm hoping I can get some sort of justice!

As for the decked comment, that is correct.. thought why not now she isn't on 18 inch rims? lol below shows just how low! speed bumps :(

to anyone interested im selling my GENUINE rstt alloys now with brand new tyres, pm me if interested, will sell for a good price

link:

I usually kill around 5 wheels a year, I've started early this year. This was last week, I still have a horrendous knocking noise from the front! I really must see what it is lol

ccb6c49e.jpg

23a88660.jpg

If you measure the depth of the pothole & photograph it ( with out being run over ) I think as long as its deeper than 44mil you are legally entitled to a claim. Or be as sly as the local council & spray some yellow paint round the hole, let the traffic run over it for a day or so then photograph it - stating that the council have already earmarked it to be repaired !! Ie the yellow paint...........
You be surprised at the reaction. I work with north Yorkshire council & they **** scared of pot hole claims.............. :rulez:

The damaged wheel was a rep I presume?

reps are actually stronger than genuine Audi rims... I believe genuine ones are made of some sort of magnesium alloy (or something!?) which is nice and light but is more likely to bend

. . . Of course this is purely second hand knowledge but it's from a reputable source and makes sense to me!

make sure you try claim!

it might make them take notice. Im fed up of seeing council road workers, on the road fixing things that arnt really a problem, classic setup is 2 blokes working, 12 blokes watching, then potholes go for too long untouched...

Last edited:
Reactions: N4THW
ok update to it all.. also it was a GENUINE audi wheel lol! :crying: (now selling the set of 3 genuine ones with brand new tyres if anyone is interested)

ok so i rang up today and i've made a claim about it... i've got photographic evidence of where it happened and of my wheel etc. good thing is it happened to my mate and he made a claim about a week before i rang up... they said something about going to check where it happened tomorrow or thursday and they are getting back to me?????hrm.... we will c.I WILL WIN THIS

ok update to it all.. also it was a GENUINE audi wheel lol! :crying: (now selling the set of 3 genuine ones with brand new tyres if anyone is interested)

ok so i rang up today and i've made a claim about it... i've got photographic evidence of where it happened and of my wheel etc. good thing is it happened to my mate and he made a claim about a week before i rang up... they said something about going to check where it happened tomorrow or thursday and they are getting back to me?????hrm.... we will c.I WILL WIN THIS
Good luck.

Good luck dude, hope some good comes of this!!

reps are actually stronger than genuine Audi rims... I believe genuine ones are made of some sort of magnesium alloy (or something!?) which is nice and light but is more likely to bend

. . . Of course this is purely second hand knowledge but it's from a reputable source and makes sense to me!

Genuine RS4 rims from a B5 RS4 are made of magnesium and they had buckling issues when they came out! Audi TT/A3/S3 fitment ones are commonly known as RSTTs which are slightly stronger, but weight a lot more.

I feel your pain, I somehow managed to catch the edge of a pothole in my RS4 today - I've owned it a week! so gutted :sob:

i thought they put something in place so you could get the damage paid for?, if you take a picture of the hole and give its location and send the pictures of your damaged wheel etc. its a joke considering how much we pay in road tax.

you might have already done this but check out potholes.co.uk for advise, good luck

Genuine RS4 rims from a B5 RS4 are made of magnesium and they had buckling issues when they came out! Audi TT/A3/S3 fitment ones are commonly known as RSTTs which are slightly stronger, but weight a lot more.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Thatwould also make sense as it was the previous owner/manager of AMDtelling me about a high-powered B5 RS4 that buckled wheels on heavylaunches so they used reps. . . Would like to see that tho! [/FONT]

damn those potholes i feel for u bro had enough headaches on the past with them in my areas!! just hope my new wheels have better luck but also selling my 18 inch replica ones for only £130 or near offers if u need any spares lol