K&N panel filer..is it worth it?

[ QUOTE ]
just as the title says really??

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really... Just replace the paper one. You wont get any more power from the K&N

RIch

not sure, im runnin one cos i took it out of my old golf, but at a rr at jbs last year a guy was down by about 10bhp cos he had a ditry air filter.

[ QUOTE ]
not sure, im runnin one cos i took it out of my old golf, but at a rr at jbs last year a guy was down by about 10bhp cos he had a ditry air filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.. the paper ones clog up but if you change them regularly then its fine. The K&N will be cheaper in the long run, but if it was me i would de-oil it and then lighly reoil it myself to make sure the maf doesnt get coated in the stuff. I've been running a TTDA now which uses a K&N cone filter and i cleaned the MAF the other night and there was no dirt on it at all...was expecting some grime...This is a good thing as it means the air is clean and also the oil from the filter isnt casuing problems.

if you go for a K&N, dont do it on the assumption that it will add more power...cos it wont!
Rich

just wondered if it would help with airflow atall especially as im getting it chipped soon???

would also like to do a cold airfeed into the airbox but i dont think there is room to get a hose around the standard IC

the point to be made is it was a dirty paper filter. Just replaced my stock filter with a brand new paper one, after 14k miles on the old one....and the difference in throttle response and general get up and go is significant. I know others on here suggest replace paper one every 6k miles....nothing else fancier is required. I think given my recent experience ...this seems a good idea and forget about AVS and going for 18/19k miles between filter changes.

HTH

[ QUOTE ]
just wondered if it would help with airflow atall especially as im getting it chipped soon???

would also like to do a cold airfeed into the airbox but i dont think there is room to get a hose around the standard IC

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard airbox is good for roughly 300bhp. The filter may help slightly but nothing really noticeable. You wont get a decent airfeed in with the stock side mount in place unfortunately... You could run one so its just above the IC but wont really achieve much.

Rich

I replaced my paper panel filter with an ITG panel filter. Didn't get any gains what so ever. I only purchased it to save on swapping the paper panel filter out all the time.

Must admit tho, I did notice a slightly different induction tone. So that was an added bonus.

cool, thanks guys... i will just get another paper filter then... service is due soon anyway so it will get done then and then i will swap it every 5k after that just to keep it clean.

[ QUOTE ]
cool, thanks guys... i will just get another paper filter then... service is due soon anyway so it will get done then and then i will swap it every 5k after that just to keep it clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea. They cost very little anyway!

i change the Paper one in under 10k miles. cheap enough.

stock airbox (and standard Ic's) is retained on MTM big tubo conversions anyway and they put out upwartds of 340 bhp.

running a green panel filter in standard airbox,good enough for mtm and good enough for me with a bt.